Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Xenomorph Armour

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
786979 polycounter lvl 6
Not sure if anyone had this idea before, it's probably been done already but I wanted to make a xenomorph suit for a character, just for fun, here's the finished model.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Aldu
    Offline / Send Message
    Aldu polycounter lvl 2
    I agree with the black on black, kinda hard to tell where everything starts and ends.
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    must be your monitors? I can see everything perfectly! besides there's a lot of black on black in that movie, so I don't really see what your complaining about, it was a stylistic choice. here's a video that is a lot brighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWo_Cyij8lw

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bomb_Bear
    Offline / Send Message
    Bomb_Bear polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah i´m with the guys black on black isn´t working. My works computer is calibrated and it´s still really dark. The video is better since it´s brighter. Dude it looks pretty damn awesome but the face is a little off looking to me.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I got to agree on the black on black point mentioned already. And also defending it with that the movies had it like that, is not valid in my opinion. They did it because they wanted the creature to be obscure so you would be more afraid of the unknown. Id say you should get a better presentation going as you want to showcase your work, not hide it.

And also, this is in my opinion the best render of a xenomorph, and it is not black on black, you clearly can see the silhouette. http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/aliens/images/f/ff/XenomorphXX121.png/revision/latest?cb=20141005001209 

But this is just my opinion, so take it or leave it. 
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Besides the things that guys already mentioned, you could also try to lower down the noise on some parts. 

The black on black might work if you work on the overall roughness, but I am not sure. Also, if you do, dont use pure black, because it doesnt really exist and should be avoided during texturing.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    call me an asshole but i think the entire design is just... bad. i mean, how would xenomorph armour even work? it's not strong enough to stop machine gun fire, or bladed weapons... the only defensive advantage Xeno's had was the acidic blood, which if left inside the armour would kill the wearer in short order after any kind of hit to the armour.

The only situation i could see this being even mildly useful is if you plan to go into a xeno hive and get covered in their blood.

and that's before i even get started on the issues of the character herself and how "perfect" she's supposed to look... anyone who is both capable of, and has had to hunt enough xeno's to make a suit of armour like this is likely to be rugged as fuck.
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    thanks for the feedback, i'll take your opinions into consideration, as for Almighty_gir, I think your right! you are an asshole. who gives a fuck how functional it is? how many times have you seen artists do something just for the fuck of it? duh...
  • Green Pirate64
    Offline / Send Message
    Green Pirate64 polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think you should be looking for critiques if you're going to act like a child when you receive it. For one it is too dark and my monitors are adjusted just fine. Black on black is generally a bad idea, and even though the movie had that it was a horror film and those are generally dark for a reason. Even when TeriyakiStyle told you that you put off his critique as him complaining. Also a lot of people care about functionality. It's a part of good design.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    < REMOVED BY ADMIN: This constitutes harassment which makes our Ad servicer upset and preserving this comment does nothing for posterity aside from reflect how poorly this individual reacts to critique >
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
     ohhhh shit - it's heatin' up!  If you can't take the heat Stop complaining duh!  You mess with the best you get the sourpuss like the rest amirite mah man!>?

I checked out your portfolio on arstation.... pretty fucking crap, it's funny how its always the people who are shit at art that slag off other people...

and those images don't even match up, you must be fucking blind, no wonder your so shit at art...
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    what's with all the fucking gifs? why are you picking on me? WTF?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dude the only person who's criticism here could be seen as less productive, is mine... and that's because mine falls into the realm of subjectivity.

i would argue with you that while people make stuff just to make cool stuff all the time, the coolest stuff out there is in some way functional, or at least falls into "suspension of disbelief".

Take my feedback any way you like, i don't really care. but you've got 5 other people telling you one very specific thing to fix. so i'd probably listen to that.
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    Teriyakistyle, go fuck yourself!
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    I don't give a fuck what you think Almighty_gir, I checked out your portfolio and I didn't see anything mind blowing in there to be honest, oh and is solid snakes nose really that fucking big?
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    < ADMIN EDIT: Don't fucking threaten people like a sad little chav >
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • JLHGameArt
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    786979 said:
    I don't give a fuck what you think Almighty_gir, I checked out your portfolio and I didn't see anything mind blowing in there to be honest, oh and is solid snakes nose really that fucking big?
    you cut me deep man...

fuck you hurt quentin tarantino dying tim roth
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    ok I've had enough of this bullshit, stop posting these fucking gifs, it's fucking retarded, what are you a bunch of fucking three year olds? I don't normally criticise other peoples work, because i'm nice like that, if I don't like it, I just won't say anything at all, because I show people the respect they deserve. but when people who are genuinely shit at art start giving me grief, that's where I draw the line....
  • JLHGameArt
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    your so deadly with your gifs, you guys must be awesome at art, I can tell by the way you instantly attack anyone on the forums that your fucking brilliant...
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    aw can you do a xeno-worf next?

dude fuck off!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    786979 said:
    aw can you do a xeno-worf next?

dude fuck off!
    reactions badass captain kirk watch out bad-ass

• Kashaar
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    Jesus fucking christ can't we all just be adults for a minute?
    Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    Man I can't believe what a bunch of faggots the guys on polycount are, would never have guessed it, you guys are all so fucking professional, seriously though you are all much better artists than I could ever dream of being, thanks a million for your insightful and positive and constructive feedback on my piece of art, I appreciate everything you've done to help me improve, so long suckers!

suck on this!

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    786979 said:
    I show people the respect they deserve.

Offline / Send Message
    786979 polycounter lvl 6
    Joopson said:
    786979 said:

maybe you don't believe me, but I swear it's true, I've never even disliked a youtube video once in my whole fucking life! I don't "CRITIQUE"  peoples work in a negative manner, such as the general onslaught of negative feedback I just got. if I don't like something I don't comment, and if I like it, I give it as much praise as I possibly can. you know what... I don't fucking care... I don't need to justify myself to you idiots... i'm never coming back to this forum again... your a bunch of fucking wankers... I know your gonna post a load of replies to this thread to try and make it look like I was the one responsible, cause I know how people like you operate, your fucking scum. glad I don't know you In real life, cause I would knock your teeth down the back of your fucking throat ( believe it! )
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    786979 said:
    Man I can't believe what a bunch of faggots the guys on polycount are, would never have guessed it, you guys are all so fucking professional, seriously though you are all much better artists than I could ever dream of being, thanks a million for your insightful and positive and constructive feedback on my piece of art, I appreciate everything you've done to help me improve, so long suckers!

suck on this!

Dude... this will be the second time i've said this...

FIVE PEOPLE ALL GAVE YOU THE SAME CRITIQUE. That means it's probably a good thing to correct. And then you started attacking people... It started with me, you disliked the fact that i criticized the design instead of the render, and so you attacked me. And then you went on to everyone else. And now you're bitching that people didn't give you valid feedback?

I love that you're so butthurt.
  • JLHGameArt
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    786979 said:
    Joopson said:
    786979 said:

maybe you don't believe me, but I swear it's true, I've never even disliked a youtube video once in my whole fucking life! I don't "CRITIQUE"  peoples work in a negative manner, such as the general onslaught of negative feedback I just got. if I don't like something I don't comment, and if I like it, I give it as much praise as I possibly can. you know what... I don't fucking care... I don't need to justify myself to you idiots... i'm never coming back to this forum again... your a bunch of fucking wankers... I know your gonna post a load of replies to this thread to try and make it look like I was the one responsible, cause I know how people like you operate, your fucking scum. glad I don't know you In real life, cause I would knock your teeth down the back of your fucking throat ( believe it! )
    You were given valid feedback regarding the presentation of your work, which you reacted to with hostility. No one said anything nasty about your work or you personally. Gir's comments about the functionality of the design are perfectly valid, but yes sometimes artists make stuff because we think it looks cool. The feedback was directed mostly about the how to present your work so that the artists here can really see the model and give you helpful feedback. The main problem they encountered was that it is rendered on black, which makes it really difficult to see properly. The thread dived into gif replies purely due to your hostile response and personal attack to honest critique, and honest critique is always beneficial, because things are being pointed out about your work that if you change will make it look better.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    @786979 I understand it can be disappointing to do a whole model, only to have people criticize it; but you have to realize, the feedback offered was for your benefit, and were not insults. If no one points out what needs to be improved in your model, you might not see it.

The default here at polycount is to give critique. If you didn't want any, you could state that.

The issue is, I think you are viewing these critiques as insults. Insults are unproductive. Critiques are meant to help you get better, and are a kind thing to do. Sometimes people word their critiques well, sometimes they don't. No matter how they're worded, they can be disappointing, and can hurt.

We all know how it feels to get a critique, and it's not a great feeling at first. But you have to realize, it's a road we all travel. All of us make pieces that don't look as good as they could, or that have issues. We all started somewhere. We've all been critiques. And we're the better for it. Sometimes we need people to point out the flaws we don't see.

You have to realize, everyone here wants you to look back in two years and think "What a distance I've come!".

So, go and cool down, if you must; think about the constructive feedback offered at the top of this thread. See if you can understand where they were coming from. If 5 people give the same critique, you should typically believe them. See that the feedback came from a good place. And then come back with your next piece, and try to be open to feedback.

The problem is, if no one expresses discontent or longing for more, nothing will ever change. This is why we need productive downvotes, and critiques. Without them, people would just think "Hey, everyone likes everything, and everything is fine!", and that's not true, if we want to improve.
  • DRoss3d
    Offline / Send Message
    DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6

Wow this thread has blown up! Ok where to start..

First, the images you posted are hard to decipher. There’s a lot of small details that are hard to see with the pure black values. As others have stated, pure black doesn’t exist in nature and it should be avoided when working in 3d. Instead, you can use varying shades of dark blue, purple and grey to give the armor a more organic look.  You can also add some variation to the roughness/specular map. Right now everything looks too uniform.

Second, I know that it’s easy to get emotionally attached to a piece that you’ve spent a lot of time working on and it can be a little disheartening to be told there’s something wrong with it. You’ve got to understand that nothing that anyone creates is perfect. There is always room for improvement. When you post on an art forum, it should be expected that people with a better trained eye and/or more experience will notice some errors with your work. Often, they will point these errors out and offer suggestions on how to fix them. You shouldn’t take offense to it. They’re trying to help you improve. Being able to both give and receive a critique is vital to being successful in this industry.

Third, this is a very small industry. If you want to work in it, it’s in your best interest to be mature and civil. No one wants to work with someone who mouths off to another person just because they can’t take a critique. Remember, what goes on the internet stays on the internet. Employers can easily look up your social media and forum posts, so think carefully about what you’re going to post.

Cheers

• JLHGameArt
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    and advice like the couple posts above this reply is why Polycount is an invaluable resource for any artist out there, old or new.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It's been a while since I used this thing:

• Piemaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Piemaster greentooth
    This thread went off the rails so fast I couldn't keep up. It's clear that the OP doesn't want any kind of crit right off from the start when he couldn't fathom that maybe his renders were a bit too dark (which isn't even that big an issue, just a good tip), but then it just became swearing and throwing out insults and then started personally attacking people's art...

Either the OP has had a terrible week and has just had enough, and decided to use the internet as his outlet. OR some kinda troll activity is going on here, it spiraled too fast and almost violently for it be any kind of sensible adult who has been posting these disgusting replies.

How is thread still open?

• Eric Chadwick
    ... and it's closed.

This kind of attitude is not tolerated here. The OP has earned a two week cooling off period. If they cannot show restraint, they will be banned permanently.

As for the rest of you, don't take the bait. The Gib thread doesn't mean it's open season here for people to respond with negativity; that thread was just a bit of fun.

Actual art critique on Polycount is held to a higher standard. Learn from the Obamas, never let someone's negative behavior drag you into the mud with them. Always take the high road.

Please re-read the site rules:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/63361/information-about-polycount-new-member-introductions/p1#give

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.