Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abbot Tank Interior

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zubnero polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys,

Currently working on a tank interior to expand my knowledge/portfolio on hard surface modelling a bit, found a cool image on the internet and I have been working on it for a while now but decided I could make a polycount thread out of it to hopefully get some feedback and ofcourse share my process with the community.

Planning on just modelling it according to the reference I have and add some environmental story telling details later on.

currently still in the early stages, did the blockout, and did some hardsurface stuff behind the seat.

Hope you guys like it and let me know what you think :)

FIRST IMAGE:

LATEST/FINAL:

REFERENCE:

Replies

• Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Still chipping away at this, I picked up substance painter recently and enjoying my time with it so far, really speeds up my baking/texture process and allows me to focus more on the artistic stuff rather then the technical.

Been doing the basic set up in unreal , just checking if everything shades correctly etc, would love to hear what you guys think.

• Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates on the seat, and the communication panel on the rigth, also some slight tweaks on the rear panel, hardly visible from further away, but I could not help myself.

• Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Highpoly moddeled, baked and textured this brake over the past 2 days, don't be a stranger, let me know what you think :)

• Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished off all the modeling for the right side ( except for all the cables, but I will do those last to make sure every connector is in place),also added the reference image I am using to the initial post, hoping to get some feedback from you guys this time around haha, it's very much appreciated.

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Good stuff. Put a stronger and more yellow light tho with less shadowy areas and more color for the props like in the reference
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since the last update, but here goes :)
    Have been working on the left wall, entire high and low poly pass is done, currently unwrapping and texturing it piece by piece ( untextured areas in Unreal is still blockout ), got some feedback about the amount of dirt and decided to add a little more, and by that straying away from the reference a little regarding texturing, I want to make it feel like it's still being used.

Would love to hear what you guys think

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    It's coming along very nicely, I'm very excited to see what's in store. As for the textures, a lot the flat surfaces feel very procedural, I'd suggest doing some painting to break them up a bit and make them look less like someone just threw a grunge map on top. Only beef I have with them, they're very good overall :)
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton said:
    It's coming along very nicely, I'm very excited to see what's in store. As for the textures, a lot the flat surfaces feel very procedural, I'd suggest doing some painting to break them up a bit and make them look less like someone just threw a grunge map on top. Only beef I have with them, they're very good overall :)
    Thanks man, I see what you mean  I have some painting going on but it might not be that obvious, I tried to be a little more specific with the 2 pieces in this post, I think they look a little less generic curious what you think :) I will update other pieces once I get around doing some more texturing on them.

done 2 new textured pieces the last couple of days, I have the high and low poly all done so I am aiming to unwrap and texture one of them a day, so far so good haha, feedback is highly appreciated :)

also have been doing some test with the lighting which I think is a big improvement but I will implement/do a proper lighting pass once I got the left wall in a more finished state.

• Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Work done on the left wall , either the hull or all the cables are up next :), also re done the lighting, curious what you guys think.

• AxtelSturnclaw
    Offline / Send Message
    AxtelSturnclaw polycounter lvl 6
    Your sizes for the interior of the tank look kinda off, though that's probably a side effect of the massive differences in perspective between your renders and the reference.  Everything just looks way too roomy.

Other than that, everything looks absolutely smashing.
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Your sizes for the interior of the tank look kinda off, though that's probably a side effect of the massive differences in perspective between your renders and the reference.  Everything just looks way too roomy.

Other than that, everything looks absolutely smashing.
    Yeah I see what you're getting at, I also feel like its a different in perspective and I am also still missing the cables which fill up all the empty space you're currently seeing, thanks man :)
  • The_Tazernator
    This is looking good, the dirt and wear on the more completed parts of the interior really give the feeling of authenticity.
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Not so freuquent updates do to my study starting again, but still at it :) currently adding in all the wires, still got some lightmap issues on them haven't unwrapped them properly yet, I really feel like it's coming together now, C&C much appreciated :)

• AxtelSturnclaw
    Offline / Send Message
    AxtelSturnclaw polycounter lvl 6
    Just a couple nit-picks: the metal in the reference looks a lot bluer than your current metals, and I think the seat fabric in the reference is actually black (or at least much darker than yours).

You may want to consider pushing the differentiation between the blue metal and the white (plastic?) elements some more.  For example: the prism with the vents in the lower left of the last image - in the reference, it's an off-white and clearly a different substance than the box behind it.
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a couple nit-picks: the metal in the reference looks a lot bluer than your current metals, and I think the seat fabric in the reference is actually black (or at least much darker than yours).

You may want to consider pushing the differentiation between the blue metal and the white (plastic?) elements some more.  For example: the prism with the vents in the lower left of the last image - in the reference, it's an off-white and clearly a different substance than the box behind it.
    Nit picks are fine haha, you're absolutely right I have been staring at it for so long I stopped noticing these small differences thanks for pointing them out.
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, more updates on the tank I took your pointers in account Axtel :), worked a little more on the cables, all the meshing for those I consider done aside from some resolution issues here and there, and I am trying to figure out a fast an efficiient way to texture and UV them, worked on replacing some of the block out meshes with high polys, tweaked the lighting and started thinking about some camera angles for the final presentation C&C is appreciated :)

• st0kje
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
    Loving the new shots, they are maybe a bit too wide. You could take a look at a 2:35:1 ratio, quite common in cinematics I believe. The cables could use a bit more shine, also the holders which connect to the larger cables on the right could use some more roughness detail as seen in the reference image, they're quite clean now. Good work!
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje said:
    Loving the new shots, they are maybe a bit too wide. You could take a look at a 2:35:1 ratio, quite common in cinematics I believe. The cables could use a bit more shine, also the holders which connect to the larger cables on the right could use some more roughness detail as seen in the reference image, they're quite clean now. Good work!
    Thanks man, will be double checking the roughness over the coming week.

in the meantime here are some new update shots, 

done most of the hevay lifting regarding texturing, still missing some tiling, and the cables still need UVíng.
    I have done some photogrammetry for the plant pot and I intend to add a small plant inside, just need to decide what plant ( ideas are very welcome :D

Let me know what you think 

• Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, continued with this over the past couple of weeks, calling this done now :)
    Thanks for all the feedback helped out a lot, CC is still very much appreciated, 

To avoid having a too image heavy thread I uploaded my favourites on here, there is a couple of more images on my artstation : https://www.artstation.com/artist/chicospans

If you're interested you can read some more about it on 80.lv : https://80.lv/articles/hard-surface-study-of-the-tank/

and I have made a video which can be checked out here : https://youtu.be/VTnA0Rxwjfc

Thanks again and let me know what you think !:)