Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyberpunk inspired Oni

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
I started making this model for the Cubebrush art war, but I got started late and realized I won't finish on time.  Still want to finish though and though it would be good to post here and maybe get some critiques.  While I am modeling this, I'm still pretty early in development so critique away.  My biggest concern currently is those spaghetti noodle hands.  That's a big area for improvement I can see immediately.  Also, I changed the design on the robo feet from the concept because they fit better for what I am going for.

Current -

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Little bit of progress on the Obi and the clothing.  

• kimodra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really good. Don't be afraid to add a bit of definition to her thighs and waist. The tie on an obi, while thick and often rigid, will bring in the waist of the wearer and the clothing. Also remember to define muscles, especially the thigh muscles. 
    It's coming along well though, and can't wait to see more progression of this! 
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Thanks for the input on this Kimodra.  Not going to go crazy on the thighs because as you can see here they're going to be more robotic.  Might mess with getting some extra definition but I'm not sure how muscle like it will be.  I defined the arms a little more but I want to take it further.  Also, 100% less noodle fingers and hands now. (with more to come.)

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Fleshed out the arms and hands a bit more. Hoping to get more done soon.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Blocked out the robot arm in ZBrush last night.  Going to be splitting up the polygroups and refining it next.

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I managed to get some free time this past weekend and get more work done on this.  Arms are more or less finished out .  Time to work more on the head/mouth next.

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Reworked the face to make it a little more in line w/ what I want and a little less anime.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Got the mouth set up a bit more so it actually has an interior and teeth now.  Started working on the hair as well.  I actually feel like I am getting close to the time I will retopo.  

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Did some changes based on a paintover.  Pretty much done with the sculpt.  Going to make some weapons and then go from there.

• AgreeingMachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgreeingMachine polycounter lvl 3
    Really enjoying your progress, and the development of the cybernetic arm, especially. What software will you handle retopo in, ZBrush?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Thanks!  I did some of the legs in 3ds max, but mainly been using ZModeler and Zsphere retopo in ZBrush.
  • AgreeingMachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgreeingMachine polycounter lvl 3
    I only remember being frustrated working over topology in ZBrush, I've always wanted to try something like Topogun... I don't even know if that's still relevant anymore! 

Keep at it! I'm noticing in the concept you have the horn the same color as the rest of the body, by the way. I wonder if you could experiment with different ways it could accent the skin?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Yeah, the retopology for ZBrush was interesting to learn.  I've been trying out hard surface modeling in it lately for work, but it has been difficult at times.  I'm trying some different techniques to see what I work with best.

As for the horn, I was planning on having it a slight gradient towards the tip.  I planned on doing some tests to see what worked with a few different styles.  I just don't want to do break the color scheme to much.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I managed to get some more work done on this.  The retopo for the body is done and I'm working on the high poly of the weapon now.  Hoping to finish the weapon up tonight and move on to low poly and then UV unwrapping for everything.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    A few pictures of where everything stands at the moment.  Finished all the high poly stuff I think.  Time to move onto the low for the weapon and then UV unwrapping on everything.

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Finished the bakes tonight. 
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    laid out the base textures.  Still a bunch to do though
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work, your work in zbrush is something i would like to learn one day
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Thanks Jaker!  Here's some more progress from today.

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Left is full sahded in 3do, the right is the albedo only.  I've been trying to inject some gradients and a little shading because I can't help but feel like the PBR looks dead when it comes to color.  I really liked Valkyrie by Alex Malykhin so I wanted to try something similar with my coloring and try to make it look a little less bland.  Probably going to start in on the robot parts tonight.  
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Worked on the skin a bit last night and made the eyes 100% less crazy looking.  Hoping to knock the metal arms and legs out tonight.

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Just need to do the hair pin and some texture clean up and then I'll be able to work on pose and marmoset embedding.

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    womp womp.  new updates below

• stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stororokw polycounter lvl 3
    A strong finish! I would love to see a break down/explanation of how you created the weapon. 
    Maybe some of the materials need some sort of tiling normal map/roughness to break up the specular highlights.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Thanks!  Most of the weapon was just me messing around in ZBrush honestly.  I didn't make a concept for it but wanted it to be reminiscent of the club you see in Oni folklore (usually giant club with spikes or metal balls protruding).   For the club , I created a cube with supporting edge loops, rotated it 45 degrees, and then angled it down a bit.  Then I copied and translated the cube to make a tiling pattern which I could apply a bend modifier to to make it cylindrical.  I made each horizontal group of cubes one object w/ a centered pivot and then adjusted the scale on each horiziontal tile set so the diameter increased towards the top of the weapon.  I could have done this with all cubes attached with a free form deformer, but I didn't want the deformer to alter the shape or ratio of the cubes.  Doing it by hand ensured that each cube row gets larger as a whole as they go up in size and not just wider.  
  • praetus
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stororokw polycounter lvl 3
    praetus said:
    Thanks!  Most of the weapon was just me messing around in ZBrush honestly.  I didn't make a concept for it but wanted it to be reminiscent of the club you see in Oni folklore (usually giant club with spikes or metal balls protruding).   For the club , I created a cube with supporting edge loops, rotated it 45 degrees, and then angled it down a bit.  Then I copied and translated the cube to make a tiling pattern which I could apply a bend modifier to to make it cylindrical.  I made each horizontal group of cubes one object w/ a centered pivot and then adjusted the scale on each horiziontal tile set so the diameter increased towards the top of the weapon.  I could have done this with all cubes attached with a free form deformer, but I didn't want the deformer to alter the shape or ratio of the cubes.  Doing it by hand ensured that each cube row gets larger as a whole as they go up in size and not just wider.  
    Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.
  • EEEnt_OFFICIAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EEEnt_OFFICIAL polycounter lvl 2
    The oni's face patterns remind me of Darth Maul to some degree. Excellent work. :)