Home Technical Talk

Question about texturing

ModBlue
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
Alright, so I know how to texture a model using node systems like hypershade/cycles node editor as well as a basic understanding of how surface maps work. The problem with texturing is my hand painted texture skills are crappy and I feel like they drag down the quality of my work, enough to where my models look better without any texturing. 

So my question is, is it alright if I were to use free hand painted textures online for my 3D models to show in a portfolio? 

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I really would not do that, since your portfolio is about YOUR skills, that would be kinda of cheating now would it not?  dont even get me started on what your new boss/client would say when they realized they hired someone who cant do what they said they could...

I would just learn how to texture instead, since its kind of a necessity if you wanna work in this industry.

there are soooo many tutorials and resources out there, and Polycount as well for that matter.

• ModBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet said:
    I really would not do that, since your portfolio is about YOUR skills, that would be kinda of cheating now would it not?  dont even get me started on what your new boss/client would say when they realized they hired someone who cant do what they said they could...

I would just learn how to texture instead, since its kind of a necessity if you wanna work in this industry.

there are soooo many tutorials and resources out there, and Polycount as well for that matter.

I've been applying myself with painting skills for quite a while now actually (few years and still doesnt look professional). What other way can you create textures besides say, drawing over UVs in photoshop? I've already tried Substance Painter and that option is out as my PC doesnt have enough VRAM to utilize it properly. Trial for 3D Coat ran out so that options out too.

Oh and I'd like to mention that your artstation page looks pretty cool and is inspirational :). I used to spend a lot of time in general 3D apps like Maya and Blender, but lately I've been practicing with zbrush ever since I bought it as its been too fun to put down lol. 
  • AtticusMars
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You can always polypaint and/or projection paint in Zbrush, too.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    There's also ZApplink and the new ZB Photoshop plugin.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @ModBlue - thank you for the compliment :)
    If you have zbrush, texture there, Its not amazing, but its absolutely doable. Most modern hand painted textures are done with AO, curve and bent normals map projection from highpoly sculpts anyway.

there is a really good tutorial made by the valve guys for Dota 2 that goes through the workflow and some other pretty good advice aswell.
    This one has some pretty good texture and characer design philosophy as well.
    I would also recomend posting some of your texture work in the 3D section and ask for some crits. 
  • ModBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet 
    No problem! I have yet to check into Zbrush's texturing option. Although I should probably mention that I have Zbrushcore rather than Zbrush so there are some options I dont have. 

Aah thanks for those links. They look uber helpful and may be just what I need to overcome a few hurdles. Sure thing, I'll definitely start posting some of my work for critique but I havent been having the time lately due to university.