Home Adobe Substance

SUBSTANCE DESIGNER 6 is now available

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jerc interpolator
We are excited to announce the release of Substance Designer 6!
We've been working on this for a long time now and it's finally ready to be unleashed upon you guys :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVta_LekQxY

It comes with a plethora of new tools such as a Curve node, Text node, a whole suite of photogrammetry tools to clean up scans, remove lighting information, generate albedos and normals maps, make maps truly seamless with the new Auto Smart Tile node.

SD 6 also features new HDR color formats, allowing you to work on environment maps for example using the new environment map editor node or deal with negative color values.

The bakers have also been revamped and now support 8k and non square baking.

There is much more to this release, find out more over here.

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    What is the upgrade price from Substance Designer 5 to 6? I can't seem to find it (although that may just be me)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It was indeed not clear on the website, we just updated the Buy page, the upgrade is $75 for the Indie license, and we also have a special upgrade to Substance Live (which includes all our tools and Substance Source), where you only pay $9.90/month for 6 months if you already have a Substance Designer 5 license.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Some artwork created during the beta using the Curve and Text nodes:

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Question If we have Substance 5, could we get Substance Live for 7 months and then upgrade to Substance 6 permanently? 
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    After 8 months yes.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Jerc,

awesome! Thank you guys for the 50% off on substance live for 6 month, it made it easy to jump the gun and upgrade.

Regarding getting Steam keys for our licenses, I suppose we have to wait until we paid the upgrade cost in Live fully to ask for it?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, because we can't revoke Steam licenses if you stop paying the monthly :)
  • myclay
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    Hello Jerc,

how long will the upgrade price $75 for the Indie license be available?

• dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    When upgrade will be available on steam?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The steam version will be available in the next few days.
  • ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Jerc, Froyok,

say if I have 23 something dollars remaining in my account and I opt in for the 6 months LIVE subscription for 9.90/month then after 6 months I will have ~82 dollars. Can I then buy the upgrade using this money or do I have to wait for 8 months before I can do that? If the latter, can I cancel the subscription after 6 months and just wait another 2 months before I buy the upgrade or do I need to stay subscribed for the entire 8 months?

Thanks for clarifying that!
  • superdenny707
    Offline / Send Message
    superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
    How soon can we expect support in Unity and UE4 for the new Substance Nodes like Curve and Text? Currently both engines are unable to import Substances created using those nodes. 
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @superdenny707  UE4 is coming in a few days at most, Unity may take a little longer.
    @ant1fact The upgrade price is only for the one-off upgrade. If you go through Live you will have to pay for 8 months (~$100) to be able to redeem the SD6 definitive license (but you will also in the meantime have access to Substance Painter, B2M and Substance Source).
  • superdenny707
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jerc Awesome thanks for the info!
  • ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the info Jeremie
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Any video of new techniques available  now with addition of 32 bit mode?    Multi channel packing , range splitting , proper blending?   Kind of before and now?
  • superdenny707
    Offline / Send Message
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    gnoop said:
    Any video of new techniques available  now with addition of 32 bit mode?    Multi channel packing , range splitting , proper blending?   Kind of before and now?
    We have a few tutorials/demo available about the new features on our youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/Allegorithmic
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Will Substance Player be updated to run SD6 files soon?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It's been updated at the same time as the SD6 release. You can download it here.
  • throttlekitty
    Loving the curve node, thank you!
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    I've had this error "Substance: invalid assembly, cannot import file" on SBSAR files I've tried to import into UE4.13.2 for a game demo using SD6.  I've corrected the compatibility mode to use engine v5.  Changed the Normal nodes to work with v5.  Yet this error still persists. Is there anyone else that's had this error occur?  I'm thinking it has to do with the version of UE4 and SD plugin I'm using is causing the problem.  If not, I'd like to know what I can do to fix this.  Maybe I can convince those working on the project to upgrade to 4.14 or higher.  Ha ha!
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I've had this error "Substance: invalid assembly, cannot import file" on SBSAR files I've tried to import into UE4.13.2 for a game demo using SD6.  I've corrected the compatibility mode to use engine v5.  Changed the Normal nodes to work with v5.  Yet this error still persists. Is there anyone else that's had this error occur?  I'm thinking it has to do with the version of UE4 and SD plugin I'm using is causing the problem.  If not, I'd like to know what I can do to fix this.  Maybe I can convince those working on the project to upgrade to 4.14 or higher.  Ha ha!
    Could you share the sbs and sbsar ?
    Otherwise, you can install the latest version of the Substance plugin for UE4, it now supports the SD6 engine.
  • Uzziel
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Have you also checked the "Force Alpha To 1" option in the Normal nodes? This one is new and you must use the "Fill Alpha With Input" option if you want your sbsar to be compatible with an older engine version.
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    Uzziel said:
    Have you also checked the "Force Alpha To 1" option in the Normal nodes? This one is new and you must use the "Fill Alpha With Input" option if you want your sbsar to be compatible with an older engine version.
    I did do just that and the problem still persists.  @Froyok Is there an update to the plugin for UE4.13.2 that'll work with SD6?  If so, I'll check and make sure that the plugin is updated and try again.  I know that 4.13.2 and 4.14 use a different compression for use with normals, but because of the new change, the plugin is only compatible with UE4.14 and above.  At least with that particular compression algorithm anyway.  That's the only reason I ask.