Home Technical Talk

Good Mouse For Game Art

Just wondering if you guys have any mouse recomendations. Badly over due for an upgrade as the grips have worn of mine.

Main use will be game art so max, substance etc don't really care about tons of short cut buttons but I am left handed so that marks it hard to find a nice comfortable one sometimes.

Cheers!

Matt

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    The most comfortable and ergonomic mouse you can pick up is my recommendation.  Do your future self a favor and save your wrists now :) 
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    I use Razor Naga with Maya. I have setup 12 shortcuts under my thumb which greatly improved speed + it is very precise.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Razer Death adder for me, but its all very personal . I ahve had mine for 6 years now lol
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

Went for the death adder in the end!
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth

I can actually recommend a mouse with extra buttons, assuming your software can bind them.

There'll always be more hotkeys you want to use, but in many programs the most convenient keys are already in use.

I know you can just rebind them, but sometimes it's not convenient to rebind them every time.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    MX518 is more or less the G400
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Regardless of the consensus I would suggest you try a couple different ones. You're using the mouse for 8 hours at day. It should be something that works for you specifically. I've tried a couple people recommend and they didn't work for me.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Razor is baws, i had mine for about the same time or more 8+ had to switch recently to some crap and i wish i had my razor back. =/ Think the right click failed but that is all it still works but i need to right click so. =/ I recommend Razor also.
    Razer Death adder for me, but its all very personal . I ahve had mine for 6 years now lol
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    I'd recommend a mouse with a wheel that is easy to press. I had a Logitech G8 before and the wheel click was so stiff that working in most apps became a pain in the ass just because of that extra detail. Now I have a deathadder and it's fine but it could be better, somehow the mouse I prefer working on is the cheap 10 bucks one plain black with 3 buttons you find in most offices.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i use this one and i love it
    accurate and nice handling
    https://www.amazon.de/SteelSeries-Sensei-Laser-Gaming-silber/dp/B005HGCNU2

and since its mirrored, its for both, right & left handed users

• Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    I got the G502, and I'm super disappointed in it. 

1. The shape at the front as that indentation cut into it; sometimes this catches on a cable and prevents your buttons from pressing. It feels like a case of aesthetics trumping utility.

2. The middle mouse-wheel click is very stiff. I was super sad about this, coming from using an MX510 before, where the middle-click is just as easy to click as the left and right clicks.

Unfortunately, I'd shipped it from overseas when I was living in South Africa, and thought I'd just use it and get used to it. Months later, I started developing wrist tension from all of the strain of having to click hard on a middle mouse button.

I'm still looking for a mouse with a soft middle-click, but they seem rare. :/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ely : the MX518 can still be found used for cheap, there's one going for 14.999USD on Amazon right now. And then of course there's always Ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007Z1M50/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmx518.TRS0&_nkw=mx518&_sacat=0

It's actually quite easy to open up and clean, and lasts forever. The soft powder coating on my current one started to deteriorate after a few years, but you can scrape it off or even cover it with adhesive. Why not try that !
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very likely yeah ! The teflon pads on the G400 even look exactly the same as the pads from the second revision of the MX518. So yeah overall it's probably just a branding difference. Rock solid stuff !
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    If you get the g600 it has the double-click issue plaguing mice (a lot of mice have it and it can appear within a couple months or couple years)
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the links! I'd been searching for a new one (without an exorbitant price), but I think I might have to get one second hand. And if it's not great, at least 15 bucks isn't so much.

I don't really understand why the hard-to-click middle scroll buttons exist. I wonder if people complain about clicking it by mistake while scrolling. It's awful for 3D modelling imo.
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    I use a G600 because not only does it have the programmable side keys, it has a real third mouse button. No more clicking on a wheel for me if I can help it. 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really want to try the Logitech MX Master for the horizontal scroll. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I've been using the top end logitech models (MX Master equivalents)  for a few years now and have found them all to be excellent -  apart from the wheel click being utter crap .  

It doesn't bother me as I map middle and right click to the side buttons  and a programmable keypad but it's worth checking it out for feel before ordering. 

Edit:  
    Cos I saw budget mentioned a couple of times. . Don't skimp on your mouse because  the wrong one will cripple you.  Find something that you don't need to grip and that has very light button action and then pay whatever it costs.  
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Massive fan of the mx518 and if you can get hold of one, definitely go for it.
    As a resonable replacement (still falls short) i use razer deathadder 2013 and it is as close i have ever gotten to the sweetspot of the mx518.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    beefaroni said:
    Pretty much why I got one when my '518 died. Though the G400 seems to be in short supply now too, judging from amazon prices?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/UtechSmart-Venus-Programmable-programmable-Manufacturers/dp/B00UL2JS1Y/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1486905337&sr=8-11&keywords=18+button+mouse

what im using seemed a cheaper alternative to the G600 at 1/4th 1/5th of the price, I like it quite a lot the shiny vaccum plating all the keys are customizable, and imo looks really good too 

• EGGO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EGGO polycounter lvl 11
    Logitech G502 is a way to go for sure. Comfortable for both modelling and gaming with ergonomic care of wrists..
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I use my left and right hands. I'm right handed and use  a small wacom intuos for the right hand, and a logitech cordless mouse for the left. One of the guys at the office is having real problems with his mouse forearm. I think it doesn't really matter what setup you have, as long you can relax properly.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been using a Zowie EC2-A for a while and loving everything but the middle button/wheel, and it started getting stuck. I stumbled on a post when I was looking for a quick picture of the screw locations, since I wanted to avoid pulling up the pads if I could avoid it. That person's solution was to use some duct tape with some electricians tape as masking for the center- you place this over the switch. Fixes the stuck problem and also reduces the travel of the click! It feels so much better now. I also scraped and sanded the inner grooves so the wheel has a smoother scroll too. And hit the LED with a sharpie so it's not stupidly bright anymore. winwinwin!

Thought I'd pass that along, I know my last Logitech mouse also had a similar action, too much force and depth to click those things, this is something you could mod on most mice. I really can't recommend Logi anymore, they're too pricey for their lifespan.
  • knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11
    I am an old fart used to use the MX518 since ages.
    Doesn't know that this one is still existing as G400. Thanks guys!
    Meanwhile I got the G500 for quite a while.
    Hate the wiring. It's looking nice but can't stand real life, special travelling.
    But without mousepad it is more reliable and more precise than the MX518.
    But missing those two buttons close to scroll wheel from MX518 and almost never use top left one of G500.
    So MX518 for ever! :)
    STRG + SHIFT and ALT and two extra functions are more than enough to get used to for extra buttons for me.
    For more, I am simply not smart enough.
    I am not a big fan of individualizing computer work too much, as you really can get in trouble if you once have to work with a "normal" one not at home.
    My son wanted a Mad Catz bla bla bla hell expensive-monster-space ship-looking-out of this world-mouse thingy.
    I am using computer since 30 years but as soon as I touch this devil made bullshit I feel like I have never worked with a computer mouse in my entire life.
    For me personally absolutely not useable at all.
    A tiny little 5€ travelling mouse is much more worth in my hands.

Hahaha - a vertical mouse - I tried it once - same with trackball - I can't get used to this stuff. Really no way.
    Same with this 3dConnextion nonsense (in my hands). Space navigator is shining nicely in blue on my desktop, asking for being sold.

If you learn special moves quickly, go and experiment, guys.
    Me I am more like this "once learned to ride a bicycle and never forget" guy- but I never drive on back wheel only for hours, doing jumps and driving on a ship railing only.
    But from A to B I am still fast or faster :D