Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Done] Lost in space - Scifi Environment (Critique welcome)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Aboulicious polycounter lvl 4

My latest post/ Current Status:

I'm done with it.

All rendered in UE4

Critique is appreciated!!!

More screenshots on my website.

Replies

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody,

on my search of inspiration for a new environment scene, i was looking for some scifi/hardsurface concepts. So I bumped in a Concept art of "Michael Klukowski" and decided to choose this one.

This time I want to post my progress here and share it with you. I would love to get some tips and tricks from you, so don't hesitate please.

Original Concept work of Michael Klukowski

Modeling Breakdown

I made a breakdown of the concept to parts, which can be copied and paste.

At least I want to appologize for my bad english. I will be not offended if you are going to correct my mistakes. I'm happy of any advise, so I can improve myself more.

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a blockout for the biggest parts.

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally i could do some more. Here are some Highpoly Modelings:

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    More HP Modeling... MORE DETAILS!!!  :D

• MonkTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    MonkTiger vertex
    Hi! So I have some few questions about your work flow.

I'm an aspring 3D artist myself, and I'm very interested in how you're approaching this project.
    Are you modeling high-poly models in 3DS Max?
    What texture software/what is your plan *workflow in texturing?
    Quixel/nDo2?
    ZBrush?
    Render in what software?
    How long have you been working, what is your current occupation?

...sorry about all these questions, I'm a very curious fella. Cheers! They all look marvelous. 
    P.S. I think in terms of design, the pipes could be less bulky, and add some pies that are varying in sizes.
  • Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi MonkTiger,

you are welcome to ask every and as many questions you like! :)

For the Blockout, HP & LP-Modeling i'm using 3DSMax. Also for UV Unwrapping. This time I will try to add details only with SubstancePainter2 without using any sculpting tool like ZBrush or Mudbox. So my texturing tool is SP2. :)
    If there is some more time, maybe i will try SubstanceDesigner for the first time.

The target rendering engine is UE4.

Time... hmmm....
    Well I should really track the time I spending on projects. :s
    It's really hard to say how much, because some days i can spend 1h and at another day 4h.
    At a rough estimate I would say a bit more then 24h.

Yeah I'm also not quite happy with the pipes. No all of them are for transporting air or cooling water or some other fluid stuff. They are carrying cables... but i stink i will show the cables hanging around. I don't think in the future they wont use wireways, but for a higher understanding that there are a lot of cables between these boxes i will use open wireways. And it will show more details. :D

PS: I hope my english is clearly understandable? It's not my native language. :)
  • Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some hanging cables... yeah I know. "Hanging" cables... in space... -.-'

When I had finished the cables I realized that there is NO GRAVITY in space... hahaha...

So they will be deleted... T.T

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    More Modeling :3

Working atm on a part of the "ship-maintenance-ring-thing". Well i guess it's such a thing :D

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still not sure what the concepter had in his mind, how the parts of the ring-crane-thing are connected together. I think they are fixed with a magnetic field to each other, so there is still some movement between them.

Atm I'm on the way to create more details in the mainparts. I will think of it later more. :D

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    More HP-Details:

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    The gate highpoly model is done. I made some frame links between the single Doorparts for more stability.

But i'm not satisfied with it... something disturbs me... I don't know what atm. But it's late and I will take a second look with a fresh mind next time.

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    I replaced these "spikes" with a full-lenght sealing profile. This looks a bit cleaner.

• fhurtubise
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    I think you're missing some "bridging" geometry - when two elements meet in real life there's often going to be a "seal" to join them (think the gaskets on pipes that come out of walls). You've got several big pieces (I've highlighted them in red) that follow the same profile across their whole length, and then just... disappear when they meet another surface. Obviously giving them bridging geo isn't going to be as important if all the empty spaces along the walls are going to be filled with greebles (that'll hide some of that), but doing it might still help.

I love all the high frequency detail by the way, hopefully it'll look great when lit!
  • Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your post @fhurtubise

You are right. For less misunderstandings I will post a picture, what kind of look it will have when all assets are in the scene.

More details will be add in the textures. All these screens are made of the HP models.

Between the Gateframe and the Trim, i will make a flange or something that will connect the objects together. Thanks for the idea!

Edit:
    Made two flange which are conectet to the frame of the gate.

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Since Days I'm creating the Lowpoly models and Unwrapping them... i'ts so technical and a part of the process, which is soooo non creative!

My Brain is a slushy... :s

But soon I'm done, and then it goes to baking and texturing. I can't wait to be finished with this part... T_T

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    More Lowpoly modeling! :)

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing texturing texturing!!! :)

• Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    I need help! I'm grappling with an really weird Normal Problem by exporting from SP2 to UE4.

I really don't know why, but on some faces are getting shadet with an weird "X" normal problem.

SP2: No Problems

UE4: Problems
    SP2 Normal

Problemspots:

For testing I've baked also with knald... I'm getting nearly the same issues:

Knald Normals:

I'm really desperate!!! I don't know how to fix it!!!

Additional info:
    • Normals are set correctly in UE4 (DTX5, BC5 on DX11)
    • -Y baked (Direct X) (NO openGL)
    • Baked with SP2 => "Compute Tangent space per fragment" is chacked
    • Every UV-Chunk got his own smoothing group (4smoothing groups for the complete mesh)

Baked Normal map SP2:

Baked Normal map KNALD:

I really dont get it...

• Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    did you triangulate your mesh before baking?
  • Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H said:
    did you triangulate your mesh before baking?
    Thank you very much. Yes it was the triangulating! Never had the idea this would couse problems. Do you know why this is happening? (Technically)
  • Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to the community I was able to keep going on with my work.

So more texturing! :)

Railcrane Bridge:

Railcrane Docking:

Railcrane Inductor:

• Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    some engines and 3d apps triangulate differently than others, so you get a tangent space mismatch.
    everything you need to know about normal maps is in the technical section of the forum. take a moment to read the sticky threads there.
  • Aboulicious
    Offline / Send Message
    Railcrane:

Railcrane Detailed Panel:

Cables:

Detailed Panel A:

Detailed Panel B & C:

Detailed Panel D & Rail Panel/Trim:

Gate Part A:

Gate Part B:

Gate Frame: