Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mirey's Cute Gas Stove (Diorama)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

I've just recently finished this off... it's based off a concept art by an artist named Mireys on DeviantArt.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also, a Sketchfab model :)

model

More shots on my ArtStation.

C&C Welcome still.

Replies

• Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Nice work! Certainly did the concept justice. :)
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    @Daf57
    Thank you :) That's certainly nice to hear haha... had a lot of fighting back and forth on the silhouette for a while. I think I just about found a decent balance for it now :)
  • kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Looks cute alright, i just think you should've gone a little higher on the top cylinder's sides so it wouldn't look as lowpoly.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    @kohg
    Oh, do you mean the overhead extraction part? I never really thought about it tbh... I could try boost the polycount a little bit to the current geo and rebake the normals in substance painter with my fingers crossed that nothing breaks in the process xD... I'll give that a try when I get a moment at home if that's what you mean :)
  • kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    @Kid.in.the.Dark
    I don't know exactly what its called...i mean...but its the chimney part where the smoke goes out. Its the only part really that stands out as lowpoly.

Oh and speaking of smoke you could also add some.
  • manuison
    Offline / Send Message
    manuison polycounter lvl 7
    really nice concept there  i liked the composition
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Very cute! The big thing that stands out to me is the amount of grunge you have on your textures in comparison to the concept. While I understand you were probably going for a more realistic version, I feel like it could have been dialed back and cleaner looking in some areas.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys... I won't have any time this weekend to make the adjustments but I'll definitely have an update sometime next week... I've actually rebaked the model with some higher subdivisions on the extractor now so it's not as low poly looking... but I'm still in the process of building some smoke alphas for the piece :) not 100% sure how to go about building the mesh alphas out for it though haha.

I'll also have another pass on the grunge of the model and dial it back a bit... I originally went quite clean but I was afraid it looked a bit too plain, the dirtiness was definitely a decision to lean towards something more realistic but I'm sure I went a bit overboard on it if the grunge amount was worth mentioning haha.

I'll have an update up here soon guys, thanks!
  • pablohotsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    pablohotsauce polycounter lvl 7
    Very cute. Technical question: is it no longer recommended for game modelers to get rid of the center point of radiating topology? In your model, you've got this radiating geo on the surface of the stew, and on the glass door of the oven. I thought it was recommended that the very center of this geo that radiates out from a single vertex be either 1) replaced with a many-sided n-gon, or else 2) stripped (a bunch of parallel rectangles running across). Is this not considered a big deal anymore? Honestly curious, I don't know :smile:
  • AtticusMars
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    @pableaux
    tbh I'm not sure about the ngons thing... in all my time working in games I've been told to always avoid having any many sided ngons since it puts strain on the engine to have to calculate your triangulation of those ngons in engine (told this, not 100% sure)... and assuming that's a case then if your topology is being retriangulaled on import... I'd imagine your normal map with those areas would come out a little dodgy since there are a multiple of ways an ngon can be triangulated. In another case, the stripped parallel polygons that go across the surface only really applied to flat surfaces as on my model the surfaces you've pointed out on both aren't flat. Although it did bring up that I probably could have done it on the heater dials, guess it slipped my mind haha. I'll make an adjustment to those in my next update as well.

But I could be completely wrong since I've been told this a long time ago, if anyone can correct me then by all means :)
  • pablohotsauce
    Offline / Send Message
    pablohotsauce polycounter lvl 7
    oh yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking re: the n-gons, sorry. That might be a quick and dirty solution for subdivision (in some cases), not for game-ready models. Totally forgot about the triangulation thing.

And I considered the fact that you'd avoid parallel strips if you wanted the area to be spherical, not flat. I think what I meant to ask is why not a quad-cap style thing instead of the radiating triangles?

Whatever, doesn't matter. Looks awesome. Cheerio :+1:
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the update guys, been a little slammed this week to get back on this so it took me a lot longer than I anticipated to make the minor tweaks.

- I added the smoke
    - dialed back some of the grunge, hopefully it's a little better now?
    - managed to sort out some issues with my normals on the floor base (they weren't showing properly before)
    - added more loops in the overhead extractor and rebaked the normals.

C&C still welcome :)
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    In my opinion the textures are looking much better! :)
  • jacjac
    Offline / Send Message
    jacjac null
    I like the textures a lot more in the improved version. A lot less grungy and a lot more cute! :)
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :) that's exactly why I post on here haha... the eye of other artists, it looked fine to me at first until someone voiced it out. A good call on your ends (Y)
  • nuwu
    Really cute, love the textures :)