Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Frazão Archviz: New videos, screens and download available

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
bigodon polycounter lvl 8

Hi guys

My name is Marcos Frazão, i'm 3D artist student and have been doing for roughly one year some studies and working on a real time unreal engine 4 archviz. I have to stop and study some things i don't know, learn some pipeline and progression for best usage of my tools on what i'm doing.

Let's speak about what really interest here, this archviz i'm doing is an apartment (a big one) and it is full of props. I'm also not an architect, but when i saw Unreal Paris, i fall in love and really wanted to do this as hobby and maybe if i succeed... shift this to my profession.

Lets talk a bit more about the project, the apartment have:
  • lobby
  • elevator on lobby
  • service room with stairs (not playable)
  • two environment living room
  • scullery
  • kitchen
  • a little yard
  • a corridor
  • bathroom
  • home office
  • bedroom
  • another bedroom (not playable)

Number of props per room:
  • elevator: 8
  • apartment props (lamp, light switches and etc): 12
  • window and doors (they are splited): 18
  • yard: 26
  • bathroom: 30
  • scullery: 17
  • corridor: 3
  • kitchen: 64
  • home office: 57 (plus props from computer: 11, props from mermaid sculpt: 12)
  • Lobby: 22
  • Bedroom: 35
  • Living room: 37 (plus props from home bar: 23, props from fish tank wall: 19)

Total of unique objects: 420 (including the apartment walls, floors and all props)

Some information of props and the project:

• Some objects will have two or more textures for real time change (not all)
  • The fish tank wall is huge, but unfortunately the fishes inside it won't be animated, since i don't know how to do this now
  • I'm a bit concerned with the external part of apartment, not going to model and texture buildings, street and etc, but i'm also not much fan of sphere skybox photos.
  • As i'm not architect, many real archtects will look at this and probably dislike. Archviz are clean and minimalist on most of times, mine is a mess of props everywhere i did in order to make the apartment the feel someone living there.
  • The apartment also have errors, the living room with 2 enviroments was too big and almost gave me headache, i'm also place some of the doors in a bizarre form, please do not laugh so much when i present this.
  • I'm aiming to do the best i can do now, and i want to extract the best from unreal engine 4, my engine of choice to build this archviz.
  • This going to be a very demanding archviz i guess, i have extensive optimized the meshes, but there are alot of props and there is no lods on meshes (i will try to use the auto lod tool from ue4). Also i'm doing everything as 4K and 2K basis, when i'm going to export the models i will try to make 1k and 512k maps for things with less detail, like a kitchen fork for example.
  • I would love to do an installer or external launcher for the archviz, but right now i can't do this, i'm also going to lack of some ui and menu for configuration of ingame settings of archviz on this version, and there is no VR support for now (i don't have one!)

What are the progress for now?
Meshes: 100%
Mesh optimization: 100%
Textures: 30%
Unreal Engine 4: 0%

I have modeled or sculpt all the meshes on this archviz?
No, some part is just mesh optimization from high polymesh for game mesh, this takes several time to do and is extreme time consuming as you already know, because even the mesh is already done i have to redo the uvs. And like everyone here, i hate uvs because they are evil.

I have created all textures on this archviz?
No, some is substances, some is free tex, some is paid tex, some is paid substances, some i did by myself

There is easter eggs on this archviz?
Sure, a bunch of then! i'm doing this one first of all for learn the proccess, understang the pipeline, improve my portfolio, get better skills with the tools i'm using for do this, so there is no restriction on it.

Let me show some props i have done and it's is basicaly ready for drop on unreal engine 4, i'm uploading some assets to artstation, you can find on my personal portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artist/frazao

Replies

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    For this first post, i will show the images of "computer props" i decided to do my own computer for my archviz (lol), this set of props will be on home office room, and when finish i will try to mount everything packed on marmoset toolbag for real time visualization.

more photos here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1W3Rq

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    The props packed and rendered with marmoset toolbag 3
    more photos and marmoset viewer (rar file, 118mb) on description: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rey0m

The viewer MAYBE crash your browser on first launch, every time i open here it crashes the firefox (i don't know why, and chrome is giving problem here on webgl for view this kind of thing) and on the 2nd try it loads the mesh. It's way more flatter than these screenshots, but still a visualization. Also you guys will notice the back part of mesh i had to rush up with turbosmoothing because i had optimized that part too much and didn't looked really good after i done the normals.

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    The books, this is gave me a little headache...

when i tried to optimize the books for use, i got some issues
    1) i failed to put 4 books at once without make the textures blurry, 2k maps for 4 books start makes things not good on my opinion.
    2) i made a bizarre uv layout for the books, resulting me need to do ALL OVER AGAIN.

My initial idea was take a pack of books i have here and use this like 4x or 5x books per "set" lets call like this and use on maximum 1 to 2k maps, but 1k make things REALLY blurry for four or five books uv island packed on a single texture set. I had to down this to two books.

The other problem was: i have organize an isanely high amount of books on my shelf, alone i will never finish this in time becaue there are TOO MUCH books and countless variations for organize, make the 2x book sets. so i dramaticaly reduced by 2 sets of 16 different books, 2x2 books organized on 8 packs each.
    8 - 8 - 8 - 8 book sets for randomize on alot of shelfs. Each book have at least one alterative texture, so the ramdomization will duplicate or triplicate.

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was texturing some assets from home office, i also made the headphone props:
    you can check more details over: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gqnoP

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yesterday i started making the sculpting mood stuff from archviz, not everything is ready for show but you can see some things here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/n8PoK

model

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Some stuff from living room
    more photos and sketchfabs on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XxKJR

model

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Still speaking about living room, there is a massive fish tank wall to setup on there
    you can see some of the ready to use props here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8OY3x

This props set list have:
    • One fish with 3 textures variation
    • A wooden wall frame
    • Various rocks
    • Various plants
    • fish tank sand

I don't have the marmoset version for show, i think this one is going to pack when i'm jumping to unreal phase.

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    I have some old renders from lobby, using old textures and also old assets that aren't available now on the last version
    this render was made with vray and i use vray materials, i did this for having some idea about how the concrete structure would behave with light.

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets talk again about the props i'm texturing, just finish the monitor from computer props, there is also a mouse
    nothing special on both, but since we're here.

link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QP0QZ

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yesterday i also finished all problematic furnitures from home office, i was having problem with a big table that cover 3 walls. Even with smoothing groups okay, double check the uvs and mesh simplified i was in trouble to generate the normal maps without minor problems. At the end it STILL having some little things i tried to fix under photoshop, and i still have ~23 props for texturing on this room.

This one i'm posting here is 2 decorative trophies from CR Flamengo, the football club i support
    one of two prouds we have.

more info and marmoset viewer: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qPmez

i decided to put this on marmoset because sketchfab was giving me trouble with the low quality texture from the roughness of one trophy, tried maybe 4 times and never looked good, on marmoset with lossless quality (right on limit of my artstation, 15.5mb) is much more presentable for this asset in question.

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Some few updates for the last week i have posted on artstation:

1) radinho props: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xoQXX
    2) paint tools props: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9X9Ga

Aways, more photos and information about the props on the link, now i'm close to finish the home office and going to start the kitchen. I skiped one or two props from the previous room, i also will skip some on kitchen as well to try speed up the things

This is all i have for now, and happy new year for us

• Telerak
    Offline / Send Message
    Telerak polycounter lvl 2
    I'm a huge fan of this work. Can't wait to see more!
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Telerak said:
    I'm a huge fan of this work. Can't wait to see more!
    Hey mate, thanks for your kind words
    belive or not this gives me strong motivation
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    A litte update, this week I finished texturing the home office, area and start the kitchen

For now i'm having headache with the kitchen oven, so i decided review the mesh, remodeled some areas, reduce and make things more simple way and redo the uvs. Damn, so many time wasted... but lets start texture this guy.

all a have to show today is this bike that stays on the area: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xoGzr
    I will review the roughness on tires, i didn't liked it and haven't re-rendered on marmoset with this values fixed to be less shiny.

A friend from artstation gave me a nice inspiration on some normals usage with glass materials to do creative things and looks, certainly i will try something for the bathroom. I was a bit worriesome with the big glass from shower, with some little normal job on it i think i will look good.

for textures i still have to do:
    50% of kitchen
    100% of bathroom (not much to do there)
    100% of bedroom

Have a good weekend
  • anMori
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, that´s a huge project you have set your mind to and the work already done looks very promising. Can´t wait to see the progress! :) Also admire your emphasis on proper planning. Keep up the good work!
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori said:
    Wow, that´s a huge project you have set your mind to and the work already done looks very promising. Can´t wait to see the progress! :) Also admire your emphasis on proper planning. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks!
    i hope i can arrive under UE phase soon and start giving some playable life to the project, there is where the fun begins
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Good morning, posting the update of the week today

Beer & Pizza PROPS on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/vxNy3
    aways, more details and shots on the url.

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    :o158GB is the raw data for now, just did a backup of last files.

This kiddo is getting huge
    Also "finished" the tex of kitchen, means i will review each one before start exporting

only left now the bathroom and bedroom for tex

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the textures of bathroom, now only bedroom left (~35 props, i can skip one or more)
    them i will study a little more about UE4 in order to not missing with basic stuff and start exporting all tex for build the appartment.

I will left here today this single image
    The left vase with dry barks actualy is the big one and stays on living room, the middle pinkish flowers will be displayed on the scullery table and the tiny red flowers is for the bathroom.

But before start the UE part of project i will bring some more bedroom props here, for example the "home fruit computer" and also i want to show my idea to build up the wall of leafs on lobby. This is not special with varied plants, or something i really proud of but the prop is divided in seven parts plus main branch and "fill mesh".
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    today i will share this t-shirts for the open wardobe on closet, nothing special (excluding the training jersey of CRF *at right), just color changes and the same shirt is repeated.

I'm at 50% of last room texturing remaning, things get faster than I expected.

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the HEADER image on OP with new info

VR: delayed
    why? i don't have one! so i can't see how the project will behave under vr. For now i will have to skip this until i buy one or find someone who have one and wants to help testing the archviz in his vr. The bad part of this is i'm really shorty of cash now, i accidentally broke my smartphone and now i have to purchase a new one (lol this is a sad thing). So the money i was saving for spend on a such of thing now will become a phone,

Textures: 100% done, just finish the last prop of the last room, (holly sh*t! can't believe this took me ~2.5 months) now all assets have at least one texture, i will not make custom tumbnails for multiple textures assets for the sake of time available to not waste

Tex review and optimization: This is a part where i will open all assets project files and see what is looking funky, what can be better, what can be 1k or less map, i will start review from looby and finish on bedroom, just like i did for texturing.

The unreal: Going to take time until roughly the end of the month for remember some things i start studying, i have to confess i already forgot alot of basic things, time to remember and take some time on youtube and ue documentations

So, no news for a while i will back with the initial stages of UE project built and keep posting the progress here.

Quick and dirty edit: I think i reach on one of most tedious part of the project, the work of export and review every single texture set of every prop... man this is annoying as optimize dense high polymeshes, on past the most tedious was the optimization but i will give this the title of "the most extreme time consuming part of the project" and leave the "boring" for this one.

About VR delay, The user Telerak gently offer to test the archviz on his VR and i think we can do something when i start building the appartment on unreal, he also have a good rig and i think if everything goes right and well tested, i can get vr support on release day.
  • joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    That is the best looking pizza I have ever seen.
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Godsend tools i used or using on this project where i HIGHLY recommend:

Bulk file renamer
    Seriously, download this if you don't have yet. Help A LOT on file naming and renaming convention
    when we have to deal with a bunch of files, sometimes rename/add words/remove words once group at all is something we must have handly.
    more info: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Version.php?Version=3.0.0.1

File to folder
    http://file2foldergui.software.informer.com/1.4/ (don't remember where i downloaded the original, but pass an AV before use.)
    File to folder is nuff said: put all your files on a directory into folders separated each one by the original file name.

max script - explosivo_03: This one can be found here on polycount wiki, help us explode meshes for baking problematic or complex meshes that giving bad results when baked at the same time.

max script - UE4 FBX Exporter: This will export the FBX files ready to use and move to 0-0-0 the stuff you need to move around
    more info: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/3ds-max-to-ue4-fbx-scene-export

max script - UVW AutoUnrwap: Another godsend tool for automatic make the uvs on lightmass channel with .2 padding
    more info: http://www.chrisjennings.co.uk/misc-scripts/

This help this little turtle going faster as i can, without this i think i would take another year

I'm start exporting the text, and feeling weird with this AO/ROUGH/METAL maps on one single texture... but they said this works fine, well i will trust with my eyes closed and put my hands on fire.
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, i've been busy learn and building some stuff on unreal
    But i have some progress here

1) Remember the fish? this is my super basic fish animation, nothing special or complex... but instead the fix stays static at least now they will have basic movement when sliding on my matinee routes to the fish tank.

2) my elevator now have slide doors!!! holy sh*t lol. I still have to bring some sound effects, and figure out how to play sound when door slide to close. I got this blueprint with virtus hub, otherside i would had zero idea how to do that.

3) i have a splash screen and icon done, also a press start to play screen. Everything on a minimal simple level (i going to try flash in and out the press start text)

256x256 icon

unreal engine splash screeen

the press start screen (this going to fade out to a short "skipable" matinee animation before enter to the archviz)

So, whats going on?

I have imported all appartment basic level stuff like: floors, roof, walls, windows, doors, all the looby stuff

I have made all collision on this, was losing the fight because i misunderstand the export pipeline (i was renaming all my custom collision without SM_, for example: UCX_meshname_01 instead UCX_SM_meshname_01) this almost drive me crazy becase i have imported all things 3 times and nothing, lol you can laugh. I know...

I have imported some basic wall textures, created some basic glass materials, still have a lot of textures to import, all floor textures for example. I have separate all floors so it is: 7x floor meshes with 4 texture variations. The walls are only 2 texture variation, the concrete and a plaster.

I have to redo adjustments on some meshes, these was looking really bad and had some uv streeched, the bad thing is editor is crashing when i reimport my modified stuff, so i have to put one by one again and re-apply all the textures

I have to figure out a way to control the roughness from the map i imported, i used the rough/ao/metal packed preset from substance painter 2, but all material nodes i tried to control the rough channel seems to not work :/ Any suggestions? thanks!

I have to use 3x 8k textures for all appartment roof, the 4k wasn't enough and look bad on my judgement

I have to animate all doors on appartment, there are 3 more to go + finish the slide door on elevator

I have a pretty basic light setup, i used: atmosfere fog, exponetial heigh fog, skylight, directional light(stationary) and use some bouncing cards with spotlight. The shadows is something i'm worry about, it don't look good now, i know this is running on some very low to preview mode, but contact shadows for example having a weird grainy and lod, i want to kill all shadow lods or make it fade in out at very large distance to not have distractive behavior. (now i have zero idea on to disable or reduce the shadow lod).

I have to decide if i'm going to use a panorama image on exterior, i already have a HUUUGE cityscape of 40k, but i will have to reduce this on 5x 8K panoramas to fully cover and for unreal engine accept the image. I'm not 100% fan of panoramas because they broke the ilusion when we get too close from the window and get the feeling of a static image. But for now this going to be a foggy external archviz.

I still have to adjust the light on all appartment, the roof looks dark and only show texture correct when i bring some light, i think the post fx box can help here... but don't know much yet.

After have the doors and textures applied, all interior lights setup (excluding the light from fish tank) the appartment is currently playable with kb/mice or xbone one controller, i might try the VR controls. But before this i have to texture the lobby props and fill the "wall plant" since i imported only the very basic meshes

here are two screen shots of the current state of archviz from maximized viewport. Remember, this is a wip project.

This is all i have for now, bye bye.
    Quick edit, now we have open/close doors! lol, such a small things achieved makes me happier

• Telerak
    Offline / Send Message
    I love seeing this come together! Blueprints can be very confusing when starting out, if you have anything you'd like to troubleshoot, let me know! Otherwise, this is looking awesome!
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Telerak said:
    I love seeing this come together! Blueprints can be very confusing when starting out, if you have anything you'd like to troubleshoot, let me know! Otherwise, this is looking awesome!
    sure! actualy i have hehehe and maybe you can help on this one, i will PM you with the details of blueprint trouble
    i think this is something laughable simple
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i "finish" the lobby today, not exactly because i still have some texture for import and deal with the light/illumination
    the "wall plant" was rough to do, but i liked the result (even on preview) and this is exactly what i think when i started this.

here two images and a gyfcat

https://gfycat.com/ReliableFrigidLadybird

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i have to disable tesselation on plants and here is why:

this fish tank is heavy unoptimized now, i will redo all the foliage and remove tesselation from all plants, also redo the plant placement with more random look and better usage of my resources.

i have the glass with thickness for fishtank, but it looked weird on my first test
    maybe it's time to review my glass material

i also have to figure out how to post processing this fish tank for it look like there is water in there, one shot is a very low normal pass on the inner glass for distort the image a bit, the other is combine this with some IOR tweak, but i need more

going to do some bubble with particles, there are 3 oxygen spots for particle spaw, i want something like this:
    https://youtu.be/tUSYKR7_zhw?t=957

but the surface of fishtank will not be "animated" with any texture or thing.

i also will review the roughness on all rocks, for it looks less plastic look on some materials. I have to remove all opacity texture from the fishes, but still something acceptable on my test and have animated it yet.

oh sure, here is an overview of the current fishtank (i think the new one will look a bit better)

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i have redo and optimize the fish tank
    still the most demanding part of archviz until now, but the fps take hit much less than before

also, now it has oxygen bump bubbles! lol.

https://gfycat.com/BossyLegitimateAnnelid

and i liked so much the bubbles, i couldn't resist to do a quick easter egg
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    DUDE this is getting crazier by day ! This is awesome man ! Keep it up ! 
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    DUDE this is getting crazier by day ! This is awesome man ! Keep it up ! 
    Thanks!

for project news: I have finished place and texture the living room and scullery yesterday, still have to plan the interior light but everything went as expect. Now i'm on home office, there is a huge list of props for export the tex and review *(tex done yesterday) now i will place things and create all materials for this room

i also have to create custom collision for some meshes
    and reset the pivot position on 0.0.0

after that i'll check the animations (four pc fan) and basic light it and the whole room

i also have to check a question on a plugin behavior, i hope devs repply to me quickly. All carpets will have fur, the living room carpet is already fur'ed, but the plugin or i missing something that causing the plugin grow the fur on wrong side of the mesh, i had to flip rotate one carpet in order to see the fur results
  • Telerak
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep up the impressive work! Looking forward to more updates!

Just a quick question, are you using Material instances on all of your textured Meshes? It will help in the long run especially with the amount of meshes you are using! :smiley:
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Telerak said:
    Keep up the impressive work! Looking forward to more updates!

Just a quick question, are you using Material instances on all of your textured Meshes? It will help in the long run especially with the amount of meshes you are using! :smiley:
    Hey man, thanks!
    not for all, but for some usual things i do instancing
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    I will leave this ss here

I will finish this home office tomorrow and start build the light a bit better for do the first preview bake
    i set all the light as static and i hope this not take too much time for baking, after all will be just a preview
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm really bad at animations :'(:D

my first attempt to make a swim route for a fish resulting the fish doing a drift on the end, like need for speed
    the second attempt i was able to make a full route, but the rotation points looked awful and the fish just look like it was sliding on a mine cart.

lets keep trying, sometime i nail it for just a bare bottom needs... But i laugh so hard with the god awful initial results.

What more?
    - I tweaked the light a bit, still under review
    - Still speaking about review, i double check many materials
    - I tweaked some textures that doesn't look good, i will have to bring back some 4k tex.
    - I was able to reproduce a function for archviz, i'm talking about zooming in with RMB or Right Trigger gamepad, now people can "zoom in" to see some more details they want to.
    - I enabled nvidia ansel on project plugins, so on final version we will able to take some nice 360 shots!
    - I start reviewing the fur on carpets, i will try import splines from max and give it a bit more fuzzy look latter by editing the splines. At least the fur now just grow on only one side (the top), that was bugging me a bit.

No screenshots or gifs for now, but cross finger if i manage to do a good animation route less robotic possible for the fishes.

The computer for now will not have animated fans, i will do an 2nd attempt later by trying to re-export the mesh with a better pivot placement, since this is turned some degrees, its getting hard to do a 360 rotation.

The books was rough, but i was able to do a good variation:
    - 16 books, divided in 2 groups of 8 and separated by 2 on 2.
    - 2 textures for each group of 2
    - then i get 8 texture "A", 8 texture "B" and start Interleaved mixing, 4 first of tex1 + 4 last of tex2, 4 first of tex2 + 4 last of tex1, and started mixing Interleaved the tex A's with B's. I'm not sure if you guys understand it, this is a bit confusing to explain, but worked!
    - I did this manualy, since i have NO IDEA how to make this randomization with blueprints, took me rough a whole evening to randomize all books i need on home office and on living room

• Sajeet
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet said:
    Impressive! :)
    Thanks!

I have upload a gyfcat for share:

- They are 9 fishes, 3 of each and the japanese goldfish like have one minute matinee route, it like cover the whole fish tank
    - The others have from 16 to 40 seconds, mostly ~30sec of their own route.
    - They also are not colide one each other
    - I didn't copy+paste any fish routes, maybe i do if i'm going to add more fishes to the tank, but for now i'm planning to add some tree bark with moss.

well it's a start, i will back on this latter for more improvement, now i'm going to start the home yard and the kitchen.

https://gfycat.com/GoodnaturedFewAmericanbadger

• bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    2 ss from today's progress

• joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    Rad. The only note I would give is that the fish seem to be moving too fast for how little their body moves while swimming.
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Rad. The only note I would give is that the fish seem to be moving too fast for how little their body moves while swimming.
    Thanks for the input Josh
    I will review this, for sure i can slow their general movement a bit :)
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Finished all rooms (every texture is imported, every material is created, every mesh is placed and have one material applied), now i will:

- Review materials and what can be changed
    - Review textures and delete the garbage
    - Review animation speed of fishes
    - Optimization is under way
    - Extensive test light and illumination, i'm having some nasty artifacts on a room and weird reflections on some window
    - I'm still unsure how to improve the illumination on fish tank, i don't want this to be very saturated, but also i want something on this way
    - I will try bring up hdri sky to the scene for give it a little light tint.
    - Setup the vr actor
    - Tweak the post processing effects
    - Deliver the beta for my friends and testers for get feedback

Some fun report from optimization:
    - I tried use render target cube textures for mirrors, there are only 2 mirrors on all appartment, but this murder my framerate so badly, i had to remove and choose a less expensive idea, just bring a chrome mat with 1k cubemap reflection on spheres. Not the very best, but at least keep the framerate up instead making it running at 16fps (1080p resolution)

- I tried to use fur on all towels and fabric from appartment, using the very expensive material... results? lol, you know. The project went to the knee and start running at awful 10fps or less every time i get closer from the fur stuff. What i did? Select the less expensive fur material (still look good, but without shadows) and reduce the fur usage only for main carpets on 3 rooms

- the light at high is taking ~2h40 for bake, i think this going to take 4h or so on production.
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    derived data cache is evil for smaller ssd :(
    i have 256gb only ssd with my main OS install and this folder was taking a whooping 40gb

I have to delete, the editor also take like forever for open again and still getting some space on C, but much less, 10/40gb than before.

I followed this tips:
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/255793/derived-data-cache-1.html

Some fun report from optimization (part 2):
    I have reviewed every single mesh on the project because i was doing crazy insane custom lightmass map resolution for non-sense meshes

ex: 1024k for a smaller fork! (wtf lol), now i have reduced harder the lightmap uv size on hundred of meshes, some lightmap was really bigger than needed. The biggest maps now is 512k (excluding the 2k maps from floor and walls), most mixed of 128-256k and a bunch of unchanged 64k.

and i also wasn't following the rule of two (had maps with "1500" resolution), this all together probably results on all the crashes i start having when i tried to build the lightmass data on high and production settings.

This week i will post some screen shots of all rooms on it's currently progress, i also managed to add the panorama image for outside view and limited a few centimeters of windows with a box collision to avoid player reach too close from the window and see the panorama card ending on bottom or top views.

I'm still doing the light and iilumination, some room is okay, some isn't... it's been a trial/nail/error game.
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    As promissed. here a bunch of screenshots showing the current state of archviz

I still have alot to do, do the vr, the widgets, some more interaction, fix some collision i noticed, adjust some object position, tweak some material i find it looking wrong in-game, the light and illumination still need tweak

but yeah... this now is presentable, lets say.

Lobby:

Living Room:

Scullery:

Kitchen:

Home yard:

Home Office:

Bathroom:

Bedroom:

I Hope you liked, the beta should start friday i will send this initial build for people giving me some feedback, also i would like to have feedback right now from this screens if possible.

• joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, it's cool to see everything coming together. I'll try and hit up some feedback after I get off work tonight. I think I missed what exactly this was for so my thoughts might be irrelevant. Cheers until then. Looking good.
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, it's cool to see everything coming together. I'll try and hit up some feedback after I get off work tonight. I think I missed what exactly this was for so my thoughts might be irrelevant. Cheers until then. Looking good.
    Thanks, when you remember fire it up here
    i need all feedback right now, even if people disliked it
  • Light On Switch
    Offline / Send Message
    Light On Switch polycounter lvl 4
    My only feedback is to have a trim piece where the floors and walls meet. Right now its really jarring to the eye. Putting a piece of trim between the wall and floor will really help the eye rest between the two materials. 
  • joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, a few things.

You're individual assets are fantastic and work really well but your lighting, inconsistent AO, and lack of wall variation (trim, color, etc...) are what I think need the most work. Here are a few suggestions:

• Your Screen Spaced AO on the corners of the walls are very dark but I'm not seeing much of any on anything else. Your assets feel like they are floating and I think adjusting the focus of your lighting for each room can really help this.
    • As Light On Switch said, right now your walls are feeling very much like they are BSP meshes. I would love to see some doorway trim, wainscotting, and more outlets. This is just a suggestion,  but it's a fancy apartment, throw in some USB outlets and fancy light switches. :)
    • This one might not be an issue with VR (I don't really know much about building for VR space) but the place feels empty and I think that's because the room scale is rather larger for the content within. Maybe scale your rooms in a bit smaller. You also might be able to combat this by skewing some of your meshes. It all feels just a little too perfect. Everything is all perfectly lined up against the walls.
    I hope that all  makes sense. I would  do a paintover but my Wacom pen broke. :'(
    Anyways, keep it up. I followed you because I absolutely love your individual assets and I want to see you give that same love to the rest of the space!

Cheers
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    My only feedback is to have a trim piece where the floors and walls meet. Right now its really jarring to the eye. Putting a piece of trim between the wall and floor will really help the eye rest between the two materials. 
    Thanks for the feedback

I was doing the wall trim but skiped this on the very last hour for start build the things up on unreal
    I will check this out and see what can be done, at least for some rooms where this needs to be more visible surely would be great
  • bigodon
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, a few things.

You're individual assets are fantastic and work really well but your lighting, inconsistent AO, and lack of wall variation (trim, color, etc...) are what I think need the most work. Here are a few suggestions:

• Your Screen Spaced AO on the corners of the walls are very dark but I'm not seeing much of any on anything else. Your assets feel like they are floating and I think adjusting the focus of your lighting for each room can really help this.
    • As Light On Switch said, right now your walls are feeling very much like they are BSP meshes. I would love to see some doorway trim, wainscotting, and more outlets. This is just a suggestion,  but it's a fancy apartment, throw in some USB outlets and fancy light switches. :)
    • This one might not be an issue with VR (I don't really know much about building for VR space) but the place feels empty and I think that's because the room scale is rather larger for the content within. Maybe scale your rooms in a bit smaller. You also might be able to combat this by skewing some of your meshes. It all feels just a little too perfect. Everything is all perfectly lined up against the walls.
    I hope that all  makes sense. I would  do a paintover but my Wacom pen broke. :'(
    Anyways, keep it up. I followed you because I absolutely love your individual assets and I want to see you give that same love to the rest of the space!

Cheers
    Big thanks for taking your time here Josh

About AO, this still in testing
    i'm going to review the ao wall textures and the ao settings on engine to see what i can achieve

The light still in progress, i have tweak the indirect light a bit more and have noticed some good results of light bouncing and tint propagation, i will keep trying.

The outlets and light switches available for now are:

a doorbell for outside, and this case is a three way lightswitch on brushed metal variation, there is a single, 2x and 4x. I did this thinking on control all lights of archviz, but right now i will be happy if can simple turn it on or off lol.

And for the room, this would require a major rework. I'm aware about the living room is bigger than i expect when i was doing this on very initial stages. Actualy this on fov 70> feels HUGE and will be huge on VR for sure.

The other room sizes are more fine compared to living room, I had to think on a creative ideas for dribble out this issue, but i couldn't find anything that helps for fill the empty space versus time available to spend on asset creation, optimization and texturing.

I though a mini hub with pillows and a small glass fireplace, could work better than armchair with lamp i had on this place.. i will explore this idea and see if this will work. Maybe i can spend a few more days working to minimize this issue.

Cheers, Marcos.