Home Technical Talk

Weird Edges when baking

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
daviddionne polycounter lvl 3
Can someone explain me what can make that happen? Im baking with substance painter, model in maya... I've done the retopo of the high res and even if every vertice are on the high res model, those black edges still show up... 

Here is the problem:

Here the low on the high res for baking:

Here the low res:

Here the high res:

I'm not that experienced with the baking and retopology stuffs... I used to reduce my high res and keep only the bevels but i try use the retopology tool of Maya and it worked well with a mask i've done. But for hard surface like a gun, i experience some difficulty to bake the bevels so i don't really know what i do wrong but well... maybe someone can clarify this :) It would be really appreciated :p 

Thanks!

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    1. Your bevels on the hp are way to small to capture on a reasonable resolution.
    2. Do you  have uv splits along the smoothing spits?
    3. Do you have dilation/edge padding on the baked normal map?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    What AA settings did you bake with?
  • daviddionne
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    1. Your bevels on the hp are way to small to capture on a reasonable resolution.
    2. Do you  have uv splits along the smoothing spits?
    3. Do you have dilation/edge padding on the baked normal map?
    My uv are cut at some basic place, like inside to hide the most of the seams... In this picture there is no uv cut. In substance i tried the dilatation at 1500 and it even didnt worked... I should make the bevel bigger then ? :open_mouth:

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    "My uv are cut at some basic place, like inside to hide the most of the seams... In this picture there is no uv cut." 
    Then we just found whats the issue... You need to have uv splits along the smoothing spits when you bake using the smoothing groups method. Also apply some padding between them. You should check out the "you are making me hard..." sticky thread in the technical talk. It explains how to do this whole smoothing group-uvs-baking thing. 
  • daviddionne
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    "My uv are cut at some basic place, like inside to hide the most of the seams... In this picture there is no uv cut." 
    Then we just found whats the issue... You need to have uv splits along the smoothing spits when you bake using the smoothing groups method. Also apply some padding between them. You should check out the "you are making me hard..." sticky thread in the technical talk. It explains how to do this whole smoothing group-uvs-baking thing. 
    Thanks you very much :)
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    You only need to split the uv's where there are hard edges