Home Contests & Challenges Archives XMD Contest

FINAL Ally Albon - Environment

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AllyAlbon interpolator
Oh, I am soooo in.  
I adore Art Deco, so this is perfect!  I have just started learning Substance Designer and Painter, so this would be a lovely way to learn at the same time.  I am probably going to make a bar scene, lots of woods and patterns and lovely lamps, and shiny glowy scifi elements all weaved in.  I know if I was suddenly transported to another planet, a bar is the first place I would visit for a very stiff drink.
Moodboard/inspiration board to follow shortly.

Replies

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Moodboard from this morning!
    Going to go for pretty realistic textures, with some awesome, colourful lighting - oranges, greens, reds, browns. Highly inspired by Bioshock and the recent Call of Duty expansion.  I am going to keep everything "game legal", so polycount will be taken into account with normal mapping etc. Will probably use Unreal for final presentation, perhaps Marmoset.  Will start blocking tomorrow!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Stupidly distracting morning, however managed to get some ideas down. I am not the best at concepts, so the room is heavily inspired by a gorgeous bar in New York. - once I start blocking it will become more unique.  Should start the block in Unreal tonight/tomorrow.  

I am not 100% sure I am properly registered for the competition - I have not received any confirmation email etc?  Can someone advise whether my registration has gone through?

• MikeDunnam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeDunnam polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Ally,
    It does say you are registered. It says the email was sent on 9/22. I resent it. Let me know if you still don't get it and I will send it from my personal email. Love the direction you are going btw :) Can't wait to see more!
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Hi Mike - no email, I am afraid!  Can I check that it went to my @me account?  Should have, but there is always a possibility i've connected my account to some old defunct email....

Okay, so this is my block in so far.  Lighting is of course subjective at this stage, but I really want to capture the colourful, surreal feel of games such as Bioshock while keeping things kinda realistic.  Lighting in Unreal is not a strong point for me yet...

I am going to be relying on gorgeous Art Deco patterning for the walls and floors and will be doing a test texture for the roof today.  I hope to keep the blue light from the window, with interesting shapes being cast across the room.  The dude is just a placeholder for scale.  Once I am happier with where things are going, i will incorporate some more scifi aspects too.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    First prop in Substance Painter! So insanely fun. First image is in Painter, second is Marmoset, while I read up on how to make it pretty in Unreal... 

• MikeDunnam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey hey,
    Your scene is looking awesome. I checked and the email did go twice to your me account. However, I just forwarded the welcome email from my personal email. Hopefully that gets to you. Let me know if it doesn't. Keep up the awesome work :)
  • Kungfujackrabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kungfujackrabbit polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Ally, 
    Love the direction the scene is going. Great job on the first prop. Did your confirmation email issue get resolved? If not just write me at kungfujackrabbit@gmail.com and we will use that contact to try again. Thanks for your patience.
  • Bunnirobotcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunnirobotcat polycounter lvl 6
    looking great! and moving quick :) cant wait to see it progress.
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks everyone - I got my email finally, thank you!  Don't know what was happening there.  All good now though.

Spent this morning refreshing on lighting in Unreal. Head hurts now, but getting closer. Trying to keep it realistic, but stylised (...whut) and with a Bioshock overtone of saturated, bloom light (no bloom in here yet though). I have pretty much finished the copper roof and the wood surrounds. Floor next, I think!

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enalrem polycounter lvl 8
    It looks amazing! I absolutely love the roof!
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thank you, @Enalrem!
    The floor was too much fun! Had to do a bit of problem solving and it's probably higher poly than it should be, but it looks pretty so the polycount remains. Made from two separate materials in SDesigner, finished in SPainter. Next: Wall  (Oh yes, and I used XMD brushes this time, for the cracks and dents!) 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Yesterday's exploration, a small podium/art space thingy. I love Substance Painter! Still not quite there, I really need to study roughness and reflectance a bit more, but I am happy for now.
    First image is Unreal, second is Substance Painter

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I'm into it!. And i agree with you. This thing needs a roughness map for sure. A bump map too to bring out the wood. Right now it looks a bit too soft. (Unless that's the intention on the edges. In which case I would still suggest some grain). 
    I like your lights too. Im not sure what it's reminding me of, but it seems almost dreamlike. 
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah man, I love your updates, it looks more and more amazing each time!
  • Kungfujackrabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the comments. Good advice on breaking up the surfaces. Need to look into the smoothing groups on the model. 
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks guys - the podium thing looks a bit off as i'm trying to mimic a real piece of furniture that has really high spec and those very soft curves but I am not sure it is fully working - it looks better now that it is hidden by detail objects, as intended, but I may still change it!

The last week or so has been terribly busy, due to dog being ill and working on a different project that came up suddenly - but back to the bar scene and I have added a pitcher plant, because I really like pitcher plants.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Screenshot from earlier today - I think I am going to have to knock back the colour/saturation a little bit.  Currently working on the bar, and about to start texturing the new low poly assets

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Quick screenshot from Friday - my dog wasn’t feeling very well and so I had to do a vet trip, which was terribly distracting,  but she is a bit better now (touch wood) and I have managed a few more textures in SDesigner.  Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive! 

• MarcSaunier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcSaunier polycounter lvl 2
    Very appealing , original and well made ! I like the mood/atmophere very very much.
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @MarcSaunier  - thank you!  It is quite difficult to capture the lighting and mood I am after, but getting closer.

I haven't posted in ages - been a pretty rough couple of weeks I must say. However, things are coming together a bit more now. On to the sofa and chairs next I think

• Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, the mood is really coming together now! Simply amazing!
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Enalrem - thank you, I like this stage when things just start making a lot more sense, it's easier to see the end goal!

Currently have two other projects going right now that have to be finished soon... but still working on the bar inbetween.  Finished the stool yesterday. (second pic is in Substance Painter) and going to start on the big decoration on the back wall today.  Then on to the seat and sofa.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Working away on the bar scene inbetween other projects that also have to be completed insanely soon... chair done. Cloth material built in Substance Designer

• Takai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takai vertex
    Very Cool! Excellent direction you are taking your idea.
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Running out of time!  So many other things getting in the way right now.  Had to rush through the cheese plant so am not 100% happy with it, but it will do for now.  Should be able to wrap up the paintings and back stairs tomorrow, and then some sculptures around the room tomorrow... then tackling more of the scifi element.  I can practically hear the clock ticking...

• Saiblade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiblade polycounter lvl 12
    Enjoyed your piece from the very beginning, seemed you had a huge head start on everyone. I actually saw your first/early block out post on tumblr which is how I found out this challenge was going on. Its coming out really quaint, wondering how you approach the scifi stuff. Either been seeing you post a lot of art outside of the challenge, you seem to keep yourself really busy. Its quite inspiring work ethic. 
  • Kungfujackrabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again Keep it up Ally. Doing Great. Only a few days left and I'm expecting to see this in the final. :) 
  • Enalrem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup. Still one of my favorite entries!
  • MikeDunnam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks awesome Ally. Love it! :)
  • gripp08
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gripp08 polycounter lvl 4
    Wow, it's really cool, great job!
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    loving it. ! I feel I'm about to be witness to some shady activities haha
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Saiblade - thank you for the kind comment, and yes - am working rather hard to get my portfolio up to standard, its a lot of fun and a lot of hard work!  I am undecided yet as to how I will add the scifi elements, I think I will make some modular pieces and build them up as I go (or as much as possible, in 2 days)

Thanks everyone for their kind comments, am working very hard to try and get this piece to a point where I am happy with it!

Woot woot for the 2 day extension - it makes me a very happy bunny and will give me time to add some items I thought I would have to leave out! 
    Currently adding some details and playing with lighting as i really wasn't happy with the light in the previous images (I have no idea why it was hitting green on the stools?).  It's looking much better, and I particularly like this hit of hot light. 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Final entry piece.
    This was so much fun.  I will post further screenshots, probably tomorrow, but this is my final image.

• seriouscat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seriouscat polycounter lvl 3
    I like that you dim the lights. Good colors and atmosphere. The shots look rich and interesting.
  • RavenA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RavenA polycounter lvl 2
    This piece was one of my favorites from the very beginning. It turned out amazing. Great job!
  • peacock3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peacock3d polycounter lvl 8
    Wow this turned out awesome! Really love the lighting and reflections, your piece really does have a great atmosphere.
  • gripp08
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gripp08 polycounter lvl 4
    Really like the render, great colors and lighting, great job.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    This turned out so well! I'm impressed with your work ethic, as always :)
  • Takai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takai vertex
    Very nice result, I love the figurative decor and the lighting ;]
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks everyone for their kind comments!  I am hoping to get a few more screenshots up today, and I am going to keep working on this piece as it's not quite finished yet. I also want to rework the lighting (I just need a break from looking at it for a couple of days :P)
  • peacock3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peacock3d polycounter lvl 8
    I feel ya about needing a break haha
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    peacock3d said:
    I feel ya about needing a break haha
    Oh totally, I need at least a week between hitting a deadline and looking at the piece again!!  I did however take some screenshots today, to add to my portfolio - more pics there  (www.allyalbon.com)