Home Technical Talk

Baking Color ID Map in xNormal

nduarte
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
nduarte polycounter lvl 2
I am having issues baking out a color ID map in xNormal. I have my Hi and my LO and I have the check box "Ignore Vertex Colors" Unchecked...nothing works. It bakes Normals and AO fine, just not color map. Basically, I am making a tileable texture, so My HI is a bunch of bricks all tiled, and my LO is a single Poly plane just above the HI Poly model.  I have Red assigned to the grout and Green assigned to the Bricks.  Its not a huge deal because I just ended up baking it out in Maya, but it would be nice to be able to do it all in xNormal. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Are you using the "Bake high poly vertex colors" option?

The way I bake my ID mesh (probably not the most efficient way)  Is that I color-code the high poly by each material then bake the vertex colors and make the resulting image my ID map.
  • nduarte
    Offline / Send Message
    nduarte polycounter lvl 2
    Thats the issues im having though....I cannot bake an ID map. It isnt working. As I stated above, I DO have the colors on the high poly models...the issue is that for some reason they wont transfer
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Import your highpoly as two separate OBJs - one per desired region. This is the easiest, most straightforward way to bake an ID map (that is to say without having to rely on vertex colors or UVs).

There are other ways to separate regions depending on which app you are using (for instance, some OBJ importers properly recognize OBJ groups and OBJ sub-models while some others don't), but splitting things off as separate files will definitely be the easiest, most error-proof way.