Home Technical Talk

Game art program setups on ultrawide monitor (21:9 3440x1440)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Raztt polycounter lvl 10

I spent some time screenshotting my setup of 3D and other programs that I use to make game art. I couldn't find anything like this when researching ultrawides before purchase so I just want to share some examples.

Imgur album:
http://imgur.com/a/LwJfk

Replies

Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1813 vertex
    Most artist and such tend to just have a second screen, But I've tried using two ultra wides before and its straining.
  • Raztt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raztt polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I came from dual 16:9 monitors and I still have one of them off to the side. I have found myself using the second less and less though.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've a 21:9 @2560x1080 and a 4:3 to the left. I rarely use the left side, and mostly for floating panels in maya.

I'd say it's mostly comfy, but keeping reference to the side gets my neck sore after a while so I just stick with the main. Maybe if they were larger I'd be better off pushing them back farther from me.
  • Raztt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raztt polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I almost don't need the second monitor anymore. I've been using refboard made by someone here which is an always on top image viewer. The setup had been working pretty well.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    I'm used to having 2 x 27" but I just bought an LG 34UM88C-P (34" 21:9)
    It's fantastic, even wit hless overall real estate its more than enough for my needs in most programs and 'feel's more spacious.

I won't be going back to 2 screens anytime soon.

Only 'issue' I've had is with trying to make a good UI for ZBrush.
    I don't often model long horizontal things so there is a fair amount of space on hte sides.
    I'm finding I end up putting way too much stuff I never use on the UI to 'fill' the space. lol

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I had a chance to use 21:9 in a three monitor setup for a couple weeks, was really pointless and ended up turning one of the monitors off and made my eyes tired.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Scruples said:
    I had a chance to use 21:9 in a three monitor setup for a couple weeks, was really pointless and ended up turning one of the monitors off and made my eyes tired.
    Woah, that'd be massive overkill. lol
    I had an old 27" I set up next to it in portrait for about 20 minutes then decided it wasn't worth it.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Id rather have 2 24s instead of my ultrawide
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics polycounter lvl 8
    I also have ultrawide. The best thiings whiich happen to me in 10 years.
    I would never go back to 2 monitor.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone find a curved screen to be annoying at all?

I haven't worked with one, but I imagine it would be a pain to judge straight horizontals, and the curve would seem to enforce a particular viewing distance.
  • JGallagher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGallagher polycounter lvl 3
    Anyone find a curved screen to be annoying at all?

I haven't worked with one, but I imagine it would be a pain to judge straight horizontals, and the curve would seem to enforce a particular viewing distance.
    I had to return my curved ultrawide for architectural drafting and archviz because it was skewing the horizontal lines. It's much better with the non-curved model (LG 34UM95)
  • Raztt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raztt polycounter lvl 10
    My Dell monitor only has a minor curve so it hasn't bothered me at all, and everything has grids and guides anyways.
    And I have retired the second monitor, so I'm just on the single ultrawide now and no looking back.