Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2017 display error

Lee5.56
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Lee5.56 polycounter lvl 9

Hi. I installed 3ds max on my old laptop (acer 5552g, GPU 6650M). Unfortunately, I have a problem with the display in the viewport. Objects explode, sometimes disappear. Maybe it is a problem with graphic drivers. I include a screen with viewport. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT3IOD93R6Q

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laptops typically have an integrated GPU which is not as good as a dedicated Nvidia or AMD GPU. You need to use the dedicated GPU's driver to force apps to use it instead of the integrated one.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Even with a dedicated gpu Max is known for its weird viewport glitches over the years. So yes, what Eric said. :)
  • Lee5.56
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This laptop doesn't have a integrated GPU, only radeon 6650M.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Radeons have historically had poor drivers for working in 3ds Max. Not that helpful for you, sorry. After a bad experience, I've kept with Nvidia.

Have you updated your drivers lately? Worth a shot. 

Have you tried switching to another display driver? http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-3D6B4C8E-8C0D-4A9C-BFB0-2463803268CE
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, 3dsmax does that even on desktops with the latest GPU's and drivers but it seems to happen more on mobile and integrated GPUs more often. It doesn't help that it's a Radeon, Autodesk has a pretty tight relationship with Nvidia but like I said it happens on the latest Nvidia desktop GPUs also so it's not entirely the cards fault, it's just going to happen mor frequently.

Usually it is the result of a long complicated modifier stack where you've been going down the modifier stack, making changes and then going back up. It has something to do with mesh caching and processing those edits.

There isn't much you can do to salvage the mesh once that happens but you can try to prevent it by keeping your modifier stack and transform matrix as clean as possible.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great advice Mark. And to add to it, go easy on your Undo buffer if possible, as the cache can break the scene. Save often, and as soon as you notice something strange occurring save an increment and reopen the scene. This usually helps to flush the junk if the scene has been open for a long time.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh good point Musashidan! The undo buffer and garbage collection can contribute to the issue. When your system gets low on ram it triggers "garbage collection" which is an ancient function in max used to clear out the clutter, buffers and junk that max is hanging onto.

You might be able to test it by manually calling garbage collection "gc()". You should probably save before calling gc(). 
    It might only corrupt meshes when you're running low on ram so keep an eye on your ram if you can.

So yea, save incrementally. Also if max crashes go back to one of your incremental saves and try to avoid opening the saves it creates when it crashes.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh good point Musashidan! The undo buffer and garbage collection can contribute to the issue. When your system gets low on ram it triggers "garbage collection" which is an ancient function in max used to clear out the clutter, buffers and junk that max is hanging onto.

Yes, remember back in Max 2012(ish) when XBR was being implemented, they completely f**cked the undo buffer for a whole version! :)
  • Lee5.56
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. I changed display driver from Nitrous Direct 3D 11 to 9 and i think it's works. Thanks a lot.