Home Contests & Challenges Archives XMD Contest

WIP - Pat Goodwin - Environment

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
pgoodwin88 polycounter lvl 3
Hello friends,

I'm a huge fan of Michael's brushes -- the lifetime membership is the best deal in 3D -- and immensely excited about this contest. The environment description immediately called to mind two of my greatest personal inspirations Lebbeus Woods (weirdo architect who never really built anything) and Viktor Antonov (brilliant art director of half-life 2 and Dishonored fame). In keeping with that theme, I'm looking to create a dense city block heavily inspired by 1900-1930 Seattle and the aforementioned artists' imposing, clawing, and otherworldly mechanical decor.

By the end of the contest I'd like to have completed an in-engine cinematic similar to this ( https://www.artstation.com/artwork/a1G5z ) piece I created last month. Unlike the last project, I'll now be working in unreal and using baked lighting (in order to achieve the realtime photorealism I'm shooting for). 

Most of the architectural assets will start as modular highpoly sculpts (using xmd brushes of course :smile: ) Many of the materials originate from photogrammetry data taken around the oldest parts of Seattle: Pioneer Square and Pike Place Market. I'm inspired and energized by the incredible work arising from the collision of traditional methods and scanning, as seen in games like battlefield 1, battlefront, and experimental projects like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5AR3Wf1QJg .  As this is my final year in school, I'm attempting to find that razor focus and specialization so increasingly needed in the industry. I'm a huge fan of the scanning work flow as well as procedural when it comes to material creation and I'm hoping this project will further increase the quality and speed of my production with both methods.  

I have a little greybox video and plenty more details coming soon, but for now here's a few screens of some of the materials and modular assets I've started working on in the last couple weeks: 

Wall Brick 1 WIP (realtime in Substance Painter, not iray)

Modular Architecture Piece 1 wip (iray render)

Light post base (realtime in substance painter) wip

Ground/Street Brick 1 wip (realtime in substance painter)

Door of "Federal Office Building" sculpt wip (in zbrush)

Thats all for now. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's amazing work and feeling simultaneously inspired and self deprecating.   :p  Thanks for organizing this Michael!

-Pat

Replies

• pgoodwin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on a few things over the weekend. Created a low poly for the "Federal Office Building" door sculpt, baked and started testing some color scheme's and materials. Here's a couple options, feedback appreciated:

color scheme 1:

color scheme 2: 

color scheme 3: 

I'll probably add a final detail pass and further tweak these materials once I get it in the scene and see it as a whole. 
  • pgoodwin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also had some time to finish up this Corinthian top I started last week. A few of the modular building/store fronts I have planned contain classical order elements of various materials (some wood, some steel, some stone). Keeping the fine details while getting this down to a reasonable tri count (7k) was quite a fun challenge. I was also able to maximize uv space by layering duplicate/symetrical ornate elements. I created the entire asset with this in mind. Sculpted with quad symmetry as well. Here's some screens of the various materials (now saved as smart materials in painter): 

painted wood

painted steel

classic stone

Later this week I'll be uploading the greybox I started in unity, as well as the mood board I've been working with. 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Cool stuff!. I'm more partial to painted wood so I hope you keep that one. That being said I think Stone would probably make more sense. (Regarding your last post)
  • pgoodwin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff!. I'm more partial to painted wood so I hope you keep that one. That being said I think Stone would probably make more sense. (Regarding your last post)
    Thanks! Yeah I totally agree about the wood. A few of the reference photos I've collected of vintage storefronts showcase a painted wood style for much of the ornate trimming and elements--so I definitely think it will make it in! :)
  • MarcSaunier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcSaunier polycounter lvl 2
    Very nice work ! I love the details (and the painted wood too) :)
  • pgoodwin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work ! I love the details (and the painted wood too) :)
    Thanks Marc! Really liking the shapes of those assets you got going in yours. Looking forward to seeing how that evolves. Also funny side note -- the golden deco door image you used as a decal/stamp on that new piece was one of the main references I used for my deco door sculpt. :smile: