Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Rotary engine

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
xvisurprise polycounter lvl 4
Hi,

I'm working on this rotary engine and I'm planning to make the front part of a nieuport 11 plane too. 

This is the current version, I'd like to improve, so any C&C would be very valuable for me.

Thank you, and cheers :smile:

Replies

• xvisurprise
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progress on the plane:

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    beautiful work so far!
  • homart
    Offline / Send Message
    homart polycounter lvl 8
    Really Love the level of details you put on that piece ! Really nice !
  • DeanJ
    Offline / Send Message
    DeanJ polycounter lvl 3
    Plane looks great!
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Nice materials!
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Offline / Send Message
    HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 10
    I am loving the details you are putting into this model my friend.  Instant favorite.
    Could you please show us some sexy wireframes :smiley: 
  • mspalante
    Offline / Send Message
    mspalante polycounter lvl 6
    Super, awesome quality of details and Hard surface modeling, like SpyCrab said, some sexy wireframes will be awesome hahaha!
  • JonasJ
    Offline / Send Message
    JonasJ vertex
    Where did you find your reference shots? I've been thinking of modelling a motor of some kind but am having a hard time finding reference. Looks gorgeous! Keep it up! 
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Looking awesome,I especially love the materials!
    Oh and by the way its radial engine not rotary :p.
    PS
    I'm dumb,actually it is rotary engine but looks similar to radial, didnt know radial engines were used in planes.
  • xvisurprise
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :smile: 

I'll include a wireframe in the next update.

JonasJ said:
    Where did you find your reference shots? I've been thinking of modelling a motor of some kind but am having a hard time finding reference. Looks gorgeous! Keep it up! 
    I mainly used google for it. I found this picture that I liked, so I made the cylinders based on it. 

Later on I found out that this is a Le Rhône engine, but the uvs were already done, so I didn't make too much changes.

ivanzu said:
    Looking awesome,I especially love the materials!
    Oh and by the way its radial engine not rotary :p.
    PS
    I'm dumb,actually it is rotary engine but looks similar to radial, didnt know radial engines were used in planes.
    Most wwi planes used rotary engines as far as I know :smile:

• ValN84
    Offline / Send Message
    ValN84 polycounter lvl 5
    The confusion might come from the fact that the Wankel engines are usually called rotary engines since the "piston" or moving part is "rotating" not translating like a regular piston.
    There are actually  engines which are called rotary engines which share the radial pistons arrangement with the radial engine. These differ from radial engines in the fact that the crankshaft is fixed and the movement of the pistons case the entire engine to rotate. This arrangement is usually used in air cooled engines since it aids cooling.

Great model BTW, love the textures and the look of the render.
  • xvisurprise
    Offline / Send Message
    ValN84 said:
    The confusion might come from the fact that the Wankel engines are usually called rotary engines since the "piston" or moving part is "rotating" not translating like a regular piston.
    There are actually  engines which are called rotary engines which share the radial pistons arrangement with the radial engine. These differ from radial engines in the fact that the crankshaft is fixed and the movement of the pistons case the entire engine to rotate. This arrangement is usually used in air cooled engines since it aids cooling.

Great model BTW, love the textures and the look of the render.
    Thank you.

I finally had some spare time, and I continued working on this. The modeling part is kinda done, I'll probably adjust some minor stuff. Next weekend I will jump onto texturing (At least I hope so :) )

And here is the wire I promised. I didn't bother too much with the optimization..