Home Contests & Challenges Archives XMD Contest

FINAL Marleen Vijgen - Character

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Enalrem polycounter lvl 8
Cromwell Allerton - The time and space traveler that took David Darello to his dimension. With his motor and buid-in closet he travels time and space to collect curious artifacts from other worlds.

Replies

• Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message

Two big moodboards for Cromwell and his bike. I'm gonna give him a alien-old man feel :). Merchant like, but also very kind and chaotic

• ayakiryu
    Offline / Send Message
    ayakiryu polycounter lvl 8
    I m looking forward of your updates
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 1
    First WIP shot. Every day that I work on this I want to post a WIP shot, having a lot of fun with him already! I will probably use a lot of the XMD monster brushes. Tomorrow I will continue on the anatomy so I have a base standing, everything is very rough still, not planning on refinement yet. I want to explore the shapes first, because my skills for making 2D concept art aren't good enough I want to concept with the model itself.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 2
    Finished the simple anatomy sculpt today, so I have a base standing, also I gave him a beard. Began with the blockout of his clothing, I will finish that next day.

Love his trenchcoat, but I'm not sure yet about his other clothing. Want to keep it 1900 like, but I don't want to make him look to "rich". Gonna try to concept that a little more.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 3

I was quite happy with the body, so I started detailing it. I'm really happy with the outcome. Used some of the XMD brushes; wrinkles and monster skin. Did also a little more detailing of the clothing. But I'm thinking of redoing the face and rest of the clothing except of the trenchcoat. Not really happy with the overall looks, it really doesn't all fit together. I want to incorporate a little bit of futuristic elements like in the story, but I think I have to concept that a little more....
  • GeeksGoneBad
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeksGoneBad polycounter lvl 5
    Wow Great work so far!
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Looking really nice so far!  I'm looking forward to seeing the built in closet and curios!
  • MikeDunnam
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeDunnam polycounter lvl 6
    Loving it so far! Keep it up. Can't wait to see your progress!
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I really like this project! Sadly I can't put as much time as I want in it because I'm in my graduation year of Game Art. Still have a couple of other big projects I have to do next to this...

Day 4

Detailed the face a little more and started detailing the trenchcoat. First week is over, I managed to do quite a lot, but I still want to do a lot!
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 5

Only a small bit of progress... I really want to spend more time on it, but I'm simply too tired to do anything after school, busy on other zBrush projects over there so I only can work after like 19:00 when I'm home. Even though I want to finish the basic model this week, because I'm sure making the motor will take way more time because I'm not that experienced at all. 

Next I want to write up his story, it's in my head but I still need to write it out. I also want to make his silhouette  a bit more interesting. 

Critique is very much welcome!
  • Kungfujackrabbit
    Offline / Send Message
    Kungfujackrabbit polycounter lvl 10
    Marleen, Great concepts and progress so glad to see such effort in the midst of school. I like seeing driven artist. You'll impress a lot by keeping that drive.  The clothing direction is pretty interesting for this character too.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 6

@Kungfujackrabbit  Thanks! 
    Finally had a day to spend some time on the project! I probably will stop working on Cromwells model for the time. Still don't really know if I want to make this a lowpoly and then paint textures or if I'm gonna let it stay highpoly and do a polypaint to save time... I like it now that he has a more trader/ traveller kind of look now.
    Gonna start on the motor probably right now.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a very quick and ugly lowpoly in zbrush and did a bake, it's ugly but I just wanted to test the model.  Details aren't very clear but he has a lot! Mostly done with the XMD Mastercloth and stitch brushes and the free cloth fabric one.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 7
    EDIT: I was in a bad mood;
    Well, might quit this project entirely, I don't feel original at all anymore with all these 4-armed characters popping up. Maybe gonna do an environment or something since I started on the motor today

• pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Dont give up! You've barely started! we gotta see where this time traveler goes!
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 8

The story:

David couldn’t believe his ears, why did this man take him to this alien world? “Dr. Cromwell Allerton”, the alien says happily shaking David hands with his four hands, “I took you here for your expertise David. As a true human species and an historian on top of that you are the hero I need.” “Hero?” David says. “I’m just an historian and I know most of the 1700’s, not this kind of stuff… This all looks like some kind of 1900’s mix or something I don’t know.”

“Hmm, well that’s sad, I thought I got the right guy, you are at least here alive and well…” Cromwell starts rummaging through one of the many drawers in his strange motorcycle. And I cannot send you back anyway, your earth doesn’t exist anymore. So it’s time for YOU now to help me out! Assistant Darello, could you tell me what this interesting item is, so I can fill my encyclopedia?” says dr. Allerton while giving a dumbfounded David an old coffee grinder. “Uhh, coffee grinder I think…” David says. But suddenly David continues panicky talking while leaning against the motor from fear; "But, but, earth? DESTROYED? But how? Why did you safe me? Where are my friends? Is my family alive? Where are we? What date is it…"

STOP! Cromwell shouts at David and then he continues with a kinder look and patting him on his back with pity in his eyes, “You are one of the only humans that has the ability to time travel and survive that. Consider yourself lucky, you are going to write history with me, literally!” Cromwell writes something down in his encyclopedia and then looks up at David with a glitter in his eyes:

“I shall introduce me again; Hello, I’m Dr. Cromwell Allerton, dabbler, official historian and researcher of the human race from the 1900 for the race the Niircs. Everything you see in that city is because of me, I travel and write down to the 1900’s to recreate that wonderfull world right here. And to see where it went wrong.”

• Kungfujackrabbit
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree about not giving up. Pay it no mind since having a 4 armed character is not uncommon, but what you do with the character design is!
    Your character with four arms is influenced from your imagination. Id like to see where it goes. and if an environment takes it further I say go for it, but don't spread yourself too thin. ( This is only my opinion as Art Dir. at my day job and it has no bearing on the direction of this contest. Since I am not a judge. So take it for what it is.... a suggestion and inspiration not to give in. ) 
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    I overreacted there, I had a very bad day that day and it wasn't my finest moment. Luckily I'm over that and more motivated than ever to create a nice character with a bit of a story :). I let Cromwell for what he is right now untill later for texturing and move on to his props, like the motor I started on to support his story. Im not ging to join the environment part of the contest, it would be too much work as you say.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 9

Cromwell lowpoly has been finished and I did a bit of work on the motor. Still trying to figure out how to incorporate the closet and how to do the roof. I want to add a lot of little boxes around and add some messy stuff and bags. Need to add some more futuristic elements. and then I can take it over to zBrush :)
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Nice ! @Enalrem
    is this based off your own design ? or something else? 

• Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, it's based of my own designs. I started with a general idea that was in my head; I wanted to make a three wheeled motor, with a bench and a closet. Then I started blocking out the thing with boxes and later on with help of my moodboards and a lot of references I began to add a little detail. But most of it is still in my head, because my 2D skills aren't good enough to draw some concept art beforehand.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 10

Made a lot of progress today. Next I will take the model to zBrush to give it more detail. I positioned the lights like Cromwells eyes, gives the motor a little more personality too! It's really cozy now with a lot of places to hide stuff. After I take it to zBrush I need to add small props.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    You are killing it @Enalrem ! It looks like a golf cart from the moon. I'm into it. 
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    @pmiller001 Thank you!

Day 11 & 12

I'm learning so much in between each day I sculpt that I was becoming totally not satisfied with how the clothing looked like for Cromwell... So I started over with his clothing. I feel much more happy now about his clothing! I also started on the highpoly for the bike, adding a lot of dents and screws, giving it a bit of wear.

• Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 13

Spend all day on redoing the clothing. Finished it again. Now busy with retopo and UVing!
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Nice! @Enalrem , two posts in one day. You're beasting thru this! Question about the cloth. How are you going to go about texturing it? I'm actually looking for some tips haha
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    @pmiller001 I'm now making a lowpoly, next up I'll paint the big spaces in Photoshop. Then I will take it to Quixel for some detailing on the edges. After that I will probably take it to Substance for the last material defenition!
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 14

Started with the coloring of Cromwell, Don't really know if I want to go for the realistic or the more handpainted look...
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I'm totally getting a Borderlands Vibe from this. RIgh tnow this character looks like they lead caravans across a desert planet.  Or Lead exploreres through ancient ruins of a lost civilization. 
    Very cool!
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 15

Spend all day on fixing bakes of the motor, and after that quick quixel texturing. I still need to fix the materials though. There are a lot of things that are still wrong in it.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 16

Lost all my motor textures, so I had to start over again. Fixed most things in the texture, but I may edit some colors still though... After that rigging and posing, planning on doing that this weekend!
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 17

Fixed the textures, still don't really know if I prefer the grey or brown motor color. But next step will be rigging
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 18

"Cromwell is pointing at his motor to get David in"
    Spend all day weightpainting. And I really don't like it, it's so hard to do properly... Still nowhere near finished, but I want to finish this part up this week...
  • peacock3d
    Offline / Send Message
    peacock3d polycounter lvl 8
    This is some really great work, it's insane how much you've finished in such a short time!
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    @peacock3d Thanks! :)

Day 19
    Rigged and weightpainted, it's finally done! Next up will be zome environment props and a little diorama to bring back the future feeling. Cromwell and his motor look 1900/1920ish because of his disguise when he time-travels to the human world, but his own world is still very futuristic
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 20

Started on a small environment. There is still a lot that needs to be fixed, but too little time! I really needed to take a break between the last and this weekend. I took too much on my plate for the last months, with school and other projects too. But I can see the end coming now :). Tomorrow I'm going to fix small problems and go on with the smaller props for Cromwell.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message

Playing with poses again for the last few days. I will probably keep it like this and refine the render a bit more as this is something I never did before. I don't really like the lighting yet and there are still a lot of small changes I need to fix...
  • gripp08
    Offline / Send Message
    gripp08 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey it's looking really cool! The designs of the character and vehicle are awesome, well done!
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    @gripp08 Thanks!

Going for the last changes and fixes. 
    I hope my pic is finished tomorrow!
  • Kungfujackrabbit
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of progress here and its great to see it. I recognize that stand too from Michael's recent set. Nice use of it!  Days are short till the completion. Keep up the momentum.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message
    Done for today, I will try to finish it all tomorrow!

• pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    nice idea on pulling the camera back. This is lookin Tight !.
  • Enalrem
    Offline / Send Message

FINAL

The story:

David couldn’t believe his ears, why did this man take him to this alien world? “Dr. Cromwell Allerton”, the alien says happily shaking David hands with his four hands, “I took you here for your expertise David. As a true human species and an historian on top of that you are the hero I need.” “Hero?” David says. “I’m just an historian and I know most of the 1700’s, not this kind of stuff… This all looks like some kind of 1900’s mix or something I don’t know.”

“Hmm, well that’s sad, I thought I got the right guy, you are at least here alive and well…” Cromwell starts rummaging through one of the many drawers in his strange motorcycle. And I cannot send you back anyway, your earth doesn’t exist anymore. So it’s time for YOU now to help me out! Assistant Darello, could you tell me what this interesting item is, so I can fill my encyclopedia?” says dr. Allerton while giving a dumbfounded David an old coffee grinder. “Uhh, coffee grinder I think…” David says. But suddenly David continues panicky talking while leaning against the motor from fear; "But, but, earth? DESTROYED? But how? Why did you safe me? Where are my friends? Is my family alive? Where are we? What date is it…"

STOP! Cromwell shouts at David and then he continues with a kinder look and patting him on his back with pity in his eyes, “You are one of the only humans that has the ability to time travel and survive that. Consider yourself lucky, you are going to write history with me, literally!” Cromwell writes something down in his encyclopedia and then looks up at David with a glitter in his eyes:

“I shall introduce me again; Hello, I’m Dr. Cromwell Allerton, dabbler, official historian and researcher of the human race from the 1900 for the race the Niircs. Everything you see in that city is because of me, I travel and write down to the 1900’s to recreate that wonderfull world right here. And to see where it went wrong.”

I had a lot of fun with this contest. This was not only my first contest, but also my first character with such a backstory. Spend a lot of my free time after school on this project and I learned a lot from doing this! And for fun a little Sketchfab scene! I wanted to add animations, I actually made an idle animation, but for some reason Sketchfab won't recognize it and won't show the animation... Let's see if I can work that out tomorrow.

model
  • pmiller001