Home Technical Talk

Issue Exporting 1:2 Non-Square Texture in Substance Painter

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
I'm having some trouble exporting a non-square, 1:2 texture in Substance Painter.

My workflow for this has been, unwrap in max at 1:2, scale the uvs down to 1:1, take into substance (bake my base high polys, but instead of sculpting damage details, using the height function and masks to generate some "normal" noise which I then bake out the preliminary maps to get a normal map of both the original "plain" HP and the overlaid height noise. This map [1:1] is then imported and applied to a fresh copy of the original LP. This is all in order for generic height/ normal noise to be picked up by generators higher up in the stack). 

I then texture as normal, usually tiling twice as much along the length to account for the uv squishing/scaling. Looks mostly fine, some distortion from generator's noise, which can tile, but not at a 1:2 ratio.

I've set my texture size to 1:2 in substance. When I export the texture size appears as a 1:2 ratio option, however, the results of my export are always square. I can always take them into photoshop and adjust the size, but if there is an error in my workflow I'd like to solve it. Thanks for any help!

My intention was to then reverse the original uv scaling on the lowpoly for the non-square texture.

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The square export is a bug that will be fixed in the next release, sometime this week.
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Jerc said:
    The square export is a bug that will be fixed in the next release, sometime this week.
    Thanks for the speedy reply. Additional question, does changing the document texture size to a 1:2 ratio affect the dimensions of the grunge textures linked within the generators? If not, it'd be nice if we could tile the textures outside of the power of 2 constraints. I haven't noticed a significant change when switching back and forth. Thats the only other problem I've encountered when working with non-square textures in substance. Thanks again @Jerc!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The mask generators have been updated recently to take into account the ratio, so a 2:1 ratio should result in the grunge inputs to be tiled 2:1 too to avoid stretching.