Home Technical Talk

UV problems and Xnormal

vertex
Offline / Send Message
26708 vertex
Hi, I'm new to this whole modeling thing, and I just recently resolved a problem about my edges coming out hard on my UV normal maps which people on this site have helped me solve. So I'm back with another issue where the UV normals for some of my model parts just aren't showing up on Xnormal at all when I generate the map. It's just sort of showing up blank like below.

I feel like it's most definitely a UV set/layout sort of problem since it works for one 'set' of UVs but the others just don't read. So I can't help but feel like I'm either missing a step here in the process or something else really simple.

If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Xnormal doesn't support multiple UV sets/tiles, you would have to export a separate lowpoly for each one.
    It's also scant on information, shots of the uv's themselves & highpoly/lowpoly as well as the software you're using to author the models would be appropriate.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    26708 vertex
    Ah okay, sorry for the lack of information.
    I used UVlayout to unwrap the mesh and I am currently using Maya to model.

I'm only getting results for this one 'set' of low polys.

and for some reason I'm getting the blank thing as shown in the previous post for the others.

And I'm not exporting these as one set, I'm exporting all of them one by one and generating the maps one by one, but again, I'm only getting the normals for the low polys shown in the first image.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way your UV's are mirrored won't work, but that's not causing this issue... When you look at the models in the 3d viewer in Xnormal is the highpoly/lowpoly overlapping correctly? Other than that I'm not sure, someone else might have to chime in.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    26708 vertex
    Scruples said:
    The way your UV's are mirrored won't work, but that's not causing this issue... When you look at the models in the 3d viewer in Xnormal is the highpoly/lowpoly overlapping correctly? Other than that I'm not sure, someone else might have to chime in.
    Could you explain to me the UV's mirror thing as well? If it's gonna be an issue in the future I would like to fix it as well.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should be Shifting the UV's over, it looks like you flipped them horizontally. Picture should mostly explain itI just increased the imagine range to display outside the 0-1 uv coordinates.

Options
    Offline / Send Message
    26708 vertex
    Scruples said:
    Should be Shifting the UV's over, it looks like you flipped them horizontally. Picture should mostly explain itI just increased the imagine range to display outside the 0-1 uv coordinates.

Ahh i see so when you mirrored and welded your symmetrical parts, you did not separated them and flip them, but you just left them where they were?
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leaving it all in the 0-1 range used to cause shading issues in UDK3, don't know about UDK4, but mirrored UV's outside the 0-1 range seems safer, (atleast on the new engines). I tend to leave everything in the 0-1 range unless I come across an issue with baking or exporting to engine.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    26708 vertex
    Scruples said:
    Leaving it all in the 0-1 range used to cause shading issues in UDK3, don't know about UDK4, but mirrored UV's outside the 0-1 range seems safer, (atleast on the new engines). I tend to leave everything in the 0-1 range unless I come across an issue with baking or exporting to engine.
    I see2, so you just shift them outside the 0 - 1 range rather than flip and shift. 
    Thanks for the tip!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    26708 vertex
    BTW, once I've managed to get all the UVs normals and such, how do I get it to show in Maya? I closed and re opened my model file and clicked on the Textured button but nothing seems to be changing
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4, 5, 6 and 7 is the quick way to switch between viewport display modes, 6 for textured.

Make sure you have the texture plugged into the color node of your material, you can check that in the hypershade (windows>rendering editors>hypershade)

Also make sure the material is applied, it will show up in the Attribute editor when the object is selected.

At this point I think you need to watch some more tutorials on Maya, Digital Tutors has been traditionally quite good if you can afford it but otherwise searching through Youtube sometimes turns up gems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfeIZCqG5Y