Home General Discussion

Thinking of switching to environment art

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
I'm having a bit of a dilemma here and it would awesome if I could get your input here. I've been focusing on character art for the past two years, but I'm wondering if I should change direction for environment art. A little over a year ago, I spoke with an art director at GDC and he was telling me about the limited amount of open positions available, the amount people competing for those positions, and that I should pursue environment art instead. Since I preferred to do character models, I did not take his advice and pursued character art anyway. After countlessly viewing others' portfolios and viewing several threads here at Polycount, I can see that the art director was not exaggerating about the competition. It seems as though 80% of the people here are character artists. Many of which are highly talented.

Although I prefer character art, I would not be opposed to doing environment art. As I view it, environment art is just as important as character art. Besides, half the reason why I play most video games is to escape the real world and engulf myself in a beautiful landscape. There are some video games where my entire motivation for playing was to experience the environment art and not much else(Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Alice Madness Returns, and Xenoblade come to my mind). The dilemma that I have here is that it feels like if I do switch to environment art, I'm essentially pulling a 180 of what I've been trying to achieve for the past couple of years. I felt like I've learned so much to just give up character art. On the other hand, being an environment artist sounds pretty sweet too and if it is easier to land a job as an environment artist (not saying environment art is any easier workwise) than a character artist, I might consider that direction. I've always had a passion for video games and breaking into the industry as a 3d artist in general would be awesome. 

I would like here your opinion on this matter. I'm pretty sure this is a dilemma many people here face, but I couldn't quite find many threads about this issue. Is breaking into the industry as a character artist nearly impossible? Should I continue to improve my character modelling skills or should I save the future heartache, turn around the other direction, and pursue environment art instead? If I do decide to pursue environment art, I have a few questions and concerns in this matter. What does the workflow like? I took exactly one environment art class in college, but I'm not exactly familiar with the workflow. What is generally expected in an environment art portfolio? My biggest concern is the scope of each project. Environment art looks very daunting. Borrowing some concept art and recreating the environment in 3d looks like it'd take hundreds upon hundreds of hundreds of hours to do (depends on the concept of course). If you can also give examples of brilliant environment art portfolios, I'd greatly appreciate it! 

Replies

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    If you want to do Characters than stick to that. You won't be able to give 100% in a subject that you don't really care about. Instead of being disheartened by amazing art work, be inspired by it and work towards being as good or better than your idols.

There does seem to be more characters posted on here than Environment work, but it just means you'll have to work harder than the next guy.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I hear being a good artist is like an American Dream... There are only 2 kinds of people. Those who have it already, and those who will soon have it. Just have to work harder, smarter, and never look back. It's about discipline and motivation. Or so they say.

"The only thing on my mind was whether I could... I didn't stop to think if I should." or something.

If you want it, then work for it. If you don't, well, whatever then. 

It's definitely hard competing, though, because everyone else who is half decent will do the exact same thing. And half will probably work harder than you.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I switched direction 4 times in my career: character artist, env artist, tech artist, tools programmer. Every time it was a great opportunity to learn more. And as I became older I cared less about the "prestige" (as you say "environment art is just as important as character art") but more about the work itself: do I enjoy the process and the actual work I am doing? These days I care little about exposure or prestige. I care about the joy I get and the new things I can learn every day. That's most important to me.

I think this is what you should as yourself - do you enjoy making environment art? What do you want to get out of your job? It's a wide area. There is architecture, study of plant life, arrangement of objects to create sets and scenes and even lighting to consider. Some challenges will be familiar, while others will be entirely new. I have to say I enjoyed switching from characters to environments.
  • Mateus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    Hi, how about full time freelancing? Is it a doable thing for environment artists?
  • beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Character art is definitely very competitive. I want to start with the fact that the AD is right in the fact that it's really saturated. That said.
    You can chase what you love while also taking on work that pays the bills. Working in an environment art job might just be that right now, and that's okay. By working for a studio/freelance in enviros, you can build up a reputation and general skills that will improve your character art anyways. Then, in your free time, keep practicing characters. Grab some Udemy courses or Gumroad tutorials and really push yourself to get to the next level!
    Basically, you don't have to just pick one or the other. Enviro can be a road to better things and bigger dreams as long as you don't forget them. Good luck!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Something also to consider; if you're open to positions other than art such as in IT or some other profession which doesn't require additional schooling, you can get a well paying job by studying for 1-2 certifications within a reasonable amount of time. This could potentially be better than going for environment art since any game art position is generally pretty competitive and hard to get compared to other bigger industries with more demand and opportunity. Also, I think potentially you could be less drained since you're working on something unrelated that's not really creative, so you have a fresh mind with the motivation to tackle character art when you get home. This way also ensures you start building a future for yourself and setting yourself up for success.
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess my main concern is that I'm a college graduate in my mid 20's who really needs to establish a career. I also made the mistake of taking out $35,000 for student loans, working only on class projects, and generally not being focused on the craft while in college. As I've been working on my portfolio for the past couple of years, I noticed how time-consuming this craft can be. I think I've spent well over 100 hours on my Scorpio project alone (definitely will not work off my own concepts for awhile). Time is all too precious to waste and I'd hate to have the "Uncle Rico syndrome" when I'm in my mid 40's reflecting back on the things that I should have done. I guess if I wasn't the typical millennial burdened by student debt, with limited marketable skills, I don't think I would've even posted this thread. I'm giving myself a deadline of May 2017 to come up with a decent portfolio. My goal is to create at least six pieces demonstrating an array of abilities. I believe I can achieve this goal. If my situation doesn't brighten up from then, I may reconsider switching to environment art. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus said:
    Hi, how about full time freelancing? Is it a doable thing for environment artists?
    Yes it is.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey just wanted to say your sketchbook is pretty good. I think youre close to being good enough for a starter character art role maybe you just need that last 20% extra quality. Id recommend breaking down tasks more, instead of just creating entire characters for your sketchbook try to nail 1 thing with real accuracy and quality! For example model a really damn good human hand or characters head.  This will be easier to achieve and give you skills you dont have, especially if you focus on your weaknesses eg if you struggle with making hands make a hand.

I recommend listening to this series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_s5n7IUMB8 

All that said I still want to make character art for games too and Ive been in the industry for 6 years and I dont make characters. For the most part I create environments, vehicles and vfx and Im really happy, maybe I would be happier making characters, I dont know but  I get paid well enough and its great experience. So personally I dont feel its a complete 180 and youve wasted too much time if you get into stuff rather than characters.
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just listened to that podcast. Thanks for all of that information. 
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Environment art is still very competitive, but everything in the game industry is, so don't let that be your motivator. It looks like you've made a lot of progress and are very close to the goal you set out to achieve. If you keep working hard and stay patient, something will work out for you in character art.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Typically there are more openings for environment art, but often hired late in the production cycle and first to go when the game ships. If you can worm your way up the food chain or make yourself available and valuable for the pre-production phases you'll probably stick around, that is if the company does...