Home Technical Talk

Maya - Slow Launch, takes forever to start up. 10+ minutes.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
DiederikV polycounter lvl 4
Alright so I can't seem to find a solution anywhere. My Maya takes forever to launch, I'm talking about 10+ minutes if it launches at all freezing up my entire computer every 30 seconds or so while launching. I'm running windows 10 and I've tried Maya 2012. 2014, 2015 and 2016 but that doesn't change anything. Does anybody have a clue?

System specs:
  • Windows 10
  • msi 970a-g46 motherboard
  • Amd fx 6350 six core processor 3.9GHz
  • AMD radeon R9 380 series
  • 16 GB ram

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Do you have anything in Documents\Maya\Scripts\? (just scripts\ not the 20xx\scripts folder). Or any plugins shared between the versions? After Maya is done with startup, do you see any errors in the script editor?

And is this a new computer/do other 3d apps or games have issues?
  • DiederikV
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have anything in Documents\Maya\Scripts\? (just scripts\ not the 20xx\scripts folder). Or any plugins shared between the versions? After Maya is done with startup, do you see any errors in the script editor?

And is this a new computer/do other 3d apps or games have issues?
    No scripts or plugins at all. Did use my own shelf before but I already took that out to check.

I had this problem with Maya from the moment I build this machine about half a year ago, I couldn't find the problem back then so I just sorta lived with it but now as time progresses its kinda driving me insane.
    Aside from Maya I have no issues running anything, topogun and Zbrush work fine and if Maya does finally launches it works like an angel.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Do you have an SSD as primary drive? I have the issue on my workstation, I read somewhere (on Polycount a while ago I think) that Autodesk licensing server thingiy doesn't play nice with a specific model of SSD and for me it results in my computer freezing or slowing down for several minutes whenever I first launch Maya or 3dsMax, it gets a little better for successive launches, after a crash for example.
    Never found a solution.
  • DiederikV
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    Do you have an SSD as primary drive? I have the issue on my workstation, I read somewhere (on Polycount a while ago I think) that Autodesk licensing server thingiy doesn't play nice with a specific model of SSD and for me it results in my computer freezing or slowing down for several minutes whenever I first launch Maya or 3dsMax, it gets a little better for successive launches, after a crash for example.
    Never found a solution.
    Yeah I do, I used to have Maya on my SSD installed but I also put it on my other drive just to test it out. Didn't make a diffrence. But if having an SSD in general is the problem thats just stupid. I hope sombody comes up with a solution.

What SSD did you have? I'm on my laptop right now so I can't see what I have on my desktop.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The SSD is a SanDisk SDSSDP 128GB, and no it doesn't matter if Maya is installed on it or not, as long as it's the primary drive, the issue persists.
  • DiederikV
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    The SSD is a SanDisk SDSSDP 128GB, and no it doesn't matter if Maya is installed on it or not, as long as it's the primary drive, the issue persists.
    Alright so mine is adata sp550 240gb, you don't just happen to know anything about that one do you?