Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TELL ME YOUR FAVORITE DINOSAUR COLORS!

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Lexinator117 polycounter lvl 4
Here is the selection, please select your overall favorite.

Just to you, what feels best/natural/coolest in general for what would be a real living creature, but also a character you might like to play in a game, and stare at for a long time while doing so. Between this and a few other sites, I hope the internet will help me make the most appealing dinosaur for that goal!
Thanks Everybody

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    10, 12, 14. 8, 16. 19.
    I think you should remove/change the designs thats have light backs with dark belly, almost no animals in real life have colors like that, from birds to mammals, reptiles and even fish have lighter colored bellies and darker backs for practical purposes.
    on top of that almost no animals ever have natural purple pigments, which almost a third of your designs have.

I would look at some history book illustrations of dinosaurs, and animals that live today as inspiration for colors.
    the actual patterns you have are really nice though, just the colors that could use some work.
  • Lexinator117
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @lotet, for your input, i agree on all your points. The light belly and dark back is a signature trait in most animals, especially ones that hunt vie verticality, like sharks or falcons, which these likely would have. With prey like argentinosaurus being so high above, they would want to look like the substrate below them as to be harder to track. The Purples as well, though prominent in my selection, are pretty damn unnatural. Reasonably 4 and 12 are the mostly realistic candidates, brown from above, greenish from the side and below.
    That being said however, the dinosaur is based heavily on Giganotosaurus, but is not in fact supposed to be a real species, and would be the main character in a game that is not about the accuracy of late cretaceous ecology so i included them. 

Overall this is about trend identification. So far the leaders are somewhat muted greens and browns. There is a smaller subgroup of people who favor the vibrant purples and blues, which may suggest i should include a patch or crest or display of some sort that includes them as a modern bird does. This will all help me identify what would be the most preferred colors.
    Additionally, i have never thought in color. I knew they were gonna be rough, and that's exactly why i'm asking for other opinions on so many different variants. Thanks again, man.
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    4, 8, 10, 12, 16
  • nategarber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nategarber null
    14 looks best to me, Lexinator117.
    Though I wish the lower legs did not have the lighter tone.
    I feel the light tone on near the eyes is misplaced too.

6 Could work maybe if the darker pattern was on top?
    Maybe do more variations on peoples favorite color schemes?
    Just a few thoughts on your dino, I don't know much about dinos though

• Lexinator117
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @kohg  and @nategarber

Right now the leading two are 4  and 10 tied for first with 14 trailing in second. I think i will try and combine the major aspects of the top selections to make something well rounded.
  • samwoodart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samwoodart polycounter lvl 7
    10 and 14 are killer man.
  • Lexinator117
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ITS DONE EVERYONE, I know that I asked all this and then never posed the result, but I did actually make the thing, i just never put a skeleton in it to pose it. So i finally did it, I combined all the most popular color patterns, and here it is. Sorry for the delay, and i hope you like it.