Home Technical Talk

Which is the best way to retopology a model

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Ouru vertex
I love high poly modeling, and I think I'm pretty good at it.
But the thing is I can't really find a job without knowing how to get it on low poly.

So, I know the "best" way to retopoly a model it's doing it manually on 3ds max or maya, but I can't find an updated tutorial on it. Everything I find is from 2009 or so.

What I'm asking is, how do you guys retopologize your models? For working in middle tier company, is it worth to learn how to do it manually on 3ds max? Idk. It looks damn hard to get it neat, and tools like Zremesher do it pretty ok.
I want to know everything about your expiriences doing retopology on characters.
Thanks for reading! :chuffed:

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    in maya and quad draw... or 3dcoat...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Depends on the model, sometimes I just model a new low poly by hand. Sometimes I use a shrink wrap method where I make a rough low poly, subdivide it and shrink wrap it over the high poly (or mid poly). Sometimes I use autotopo in 3D Coat. 
  • Ouru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouru vertex
    But Is it worth it to try to learn tradiional retopo? or just download 3dcoat and have fun? lol

PD: Focused on videogame models
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any amount of study into topology is going to help you. Automated solutions are great, but aren't always going to work or do what you need them to, so being able to get in and fix by hand is helpful, yes.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Ouru said:
    But Is it worth it to try to learn tradiional retopo? or just download 3dcoat and have fun? lol

More and more I see this lazy attitude posted by those newly learning the 3d process. It's entirely up to you, of course, but the more effort you put in to learning as many tools, techniques, skills, applications, workflows, and strive for a continued accumulation of  knowledge, the better an artist you'll be. It's as simple as that. 

• Ouru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouru vertex
    Ouru said:

More and more I see this lazy attitude posted by those newly learning the 3d process. It's entirely up to you, of course, but the more effort you put in to learning as many tools, techniques, skills, applications, workflows, and strive for a continued accumulation of  knowledge, the better an artist you'll be. It's as simple as that. 

Hey, I cant believe you're answering me. I really love your work, also I'm a suscriber of your youtube channel. 
    I just wanted to know if it is still the best way to approach doing it manually, I mean I'm investigating for the best way, not te easiest way.
    Maybe it's a newbie question but before going jam on retopo I wanted to get informed.
    Thanks a lot and also thanks for your videos!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Any amount of study into topology is going to help you. Automated solutions are great, but aren't always going to work or do what you need them to, so being able to get in and fix by hand is helpful, yes.
    This one! I know many people who loves to underestimate projects since there are many ways to automate things, and they see only the production side of this. I notice this mostly on a specific part of some newcomers. However these might work in some cases, after seeing the results I'm still not completely sure if this is enough by itself. Also you should never forget that you are an artist at the end of the day. Not? Then you can do whatever you find enough productive.

No specific advice here though.