Home Technical Talk

Texturing. What to start with?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
faith_august polycounter lvl 3
Hello! I'm 2D artist learning how  to do 3D modeling and texturing.
My question is about what Texture artist should know.
I've started texturing this small house for study purpose.  Want to make it in hand painted style.
I want to ask your advice about what to read, and what to start with to learn this right, how to use all these types of maps correctly.

Replies

• allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    Quixel or Substance are the way to go these days. Both are good for handpainting too.
  • faith_august
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, thank you for advice. What about 3Dcoat? Is it more difficult?
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    no, it's not.  especially if you interested only in texturing.   In fact it has a few extra unique tools neither Substance or Quixel could provide.  Like ability to paint with many different brush dubs randomly in a nozzles style.     Plus it allows to paint in more or less  hi res and actually see  what you are doing .  So sometimes it's quicker there than non stop substances tweaking.  
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    3D coat is very popular for handpainted texturing. You could also use Krita or Photoshop, for most environment can paint a lot of your maps in 2D.

Just a note though, it's best to use tiling textures for an object like this rather than unwrapping it to a single map.
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    Creating textures in Substance, at least, is less focused around directly painting and more around applying, layering, and adjusting materials to get results. You can still paint in it, of course, but it's much more powerful and suited to a different kind of workflow. I agree with @gnoop that 3D coat has much better tools for strictly painting, if that's the route you're looking to go.
  • faith_august
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, guys, I see I have lot's to discover =)  Luckily I found this   wiki page,
      will start from it. I'm interested in the way how do they do texturing for games assets, so that this would work correctly in game.
    AtticusMars , thanks for a note, can I use tiling textures for some parts of the object? I wanted to paint different cracks, dirt, revealed brick on the walls of house.