Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Destiny Fan Art - Mars Station

Replies

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    @JackM Thanks man I agree with everything you are saying and I really do appreciate the crit :) this is a passion project for me and i definitely want to come back to it and finish it right. .....when i got back in I am going to gut the lighting and start from scratch ill have to look into DFGI and DFAO.... I agree the sky should be simplified i wanted to do an epic destiny style sky box...but the concept does not depict that. 
    and with the gun I went in and cleaned up alot of stuff and tweaked alot of my edges....i think the high poly is almost done.....execpt the ammo counter....which i forgot to detail out....but im going to rest my eyes and hopefully have a clean look on monday and wrap up the high  poly and proceed to tweaking the LP and UVing it :)

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spine Sculpts and the low poly with the baked details :)
    the model comes in a bit over 19,000 ( 19,021) to be exact :)

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys....did a bit of work tonight on mars :D
    ported it to 4.11...since it uses substance :)
    tweaked the lighting 
    and then started remodeling the main building check it out :)

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good morning Polycount so yesterday I dove back into this scene for the first time in a long time.....and found a slew of errors...namely Scale....so i will be rebooting it and holding it to the standards of the latest assets that I have created. I was hoping you guys could rip it a new one and tell me everything that you see is wrong with it... please don't hold back help me create a change list of errors.....
    I am in the process of creating a style guide detailing...the new scale changes...including player, story, curb and handrail heights. I will also be doing a color study to help me create a color guide for the scene.
    My goal for this scene is if i handed it to bungie they could just drop it into destiny and have it run smoothly....so if anyone can give me some information on some technical specs (polycounts env assets, hero assets, texture sizes, particles) I need to be hitting i would really appreciate that. The latest screenshots are above and here is a super quick clip of the level running. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6feAMkbzEI

• Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I think the ground and the "plaza" in front of the main building should get your full attention right now. It should seem like it was covered by dust/sand over time.. piling up where it makes sense. This is pretty cool in the concept and I feel like your ground is basically too bumpy. It's like trying to place skyscrapers in the middle of nowhere.. if this was a city it would have been pretty flat to get streets in. Just over time they got covered up.
    Keep tweaking the colors, I still prefer the hues in the concept art.
    Be careful with your fog.. it currently gets rid of a lot of contrast in your scene. You don't want it to be foggy all over, only where it helps sell the environment.
    Try to separate the different shapes.. foreground, midground, background. The main building shouldn't blend in with the background.

Try to be clever with your textures/materials. If you can get away with just a few it will make adjusting your scene so much easier(like color changes/tints). This is a huge scene and you don't want to spend forever.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cay  Thank you so much, I really appreciate it, I definitely agree....I plan on making a overhead map that to depict that and play around with different layouts. I am a bit conflicted on whether to follow the color pallet of the concept or to copy the game. I would also like to set up engagment zones like on mars in destiny

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest Wips
    Blocking out some interiors, messed with the lighting and other things i still need to hit the bg buildings and the terrain :) 

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some work on the background building tonight, comments critques welcome :)

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work on background meshes
    Thoughts? :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you are certainly dedicated.  You have bitten off quite a bit of work!  I've always liked that Destiny concept as well, cool to see somebody making it :)

I see that you have flip flopped around with the lighting a little bit.  I actually really liked this one:

The contrast between the orange and the teal sky was really nice.  Also, the highlights on the buildings on the left and right were just really nice.  Personally I'd like to see you get back to this.

I'm not a fan of the orange lighting you have currently.  I think it does give off a mars vibe, but its just too overpowering in my opinion.  Also I think your terrain is a bit too lumpy.  It gives off this weathered earth vibe.  Destiny's interpretation of mars treats the dirt almost like sand.  Its whispy, blows up on the side of buildings, etc.  I think your ground will be more successful if you smooth it out.  Since this is pretty much your main composition, I think it would be nice to build up some nice smaller scale details here.  Some rocks poking out of the ground, debris, etc...while focusing on the broad strokes for the background.

I also think its cool that you are doing your own take on the background buildings.  I would suggest cranking up some height fog, or doing something to push those elements farther into the background.  Those background buildings are of a similar value to the main building, so its competing for attention.

Keep up the good work!
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gsokol thanks man i really appreciate it! I totally agree I tweaked my lighting and i feel its a lot better
    hopefully tonight ill be able to hit the terrain tonight as well as get some rocks in :)

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow happy new year (late) poly count lol....its been a great year.....i'm calling it done on this project it was very fun and i learned a ton!
    I just wanted to share the final result in video format along with some of the other assets i created in 2016 Enjoy :)
    Comments and critques always welcome :)

• 3DMad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DMad polycounter lvl 4
    Great work ! was following the mars station for a long time as I'm a huge destiny fan also ..Turned out great ..keep up the good work in 2017 .
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3DMad
    Thank you man I really appreciate it :) 
    I have some really sweet things planned for 2017, thanks to the amazing folks at Epic...I have been awarded an Unreal VR game dev grant
    so i will be working towards creating a game :) 
  • 3DMad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DMad polycounter lvl 4
    That is awesome news .well done. look forward to seeing what you come up with !