Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: refraction

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
refraction polycounter lvl 10
Some recent stuff:

Wolfie was for The Beast contest here on Polycount. Simple handpainted texture and some concepts:

Working on environment pieces a lot right now:

A doodle that I liked:

Replies

• refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tweaking this without making any big improvements, so time to call it finished and move on 

• Vie
    Offline / Send Message
    Vie vertex
    very nice ambiance in your environment with the tree!  Superb colors <3.  The only thing  I find confusing might be the lighter parts on the tree in bark in the shadows.  Are they dappled light or live things growing on the the tree?  Because the dappled light is really well executed in other areas like the leaves.  Other than that, great design!
  • refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a centaur and spent too long tweaking it because I didn't properly design anything ahead of time and just flailed it. Had some good feedback about posing - was going to twist her body more and fix the front arm posing but ultimately left her the way she was because I just liked something about it as is.

• refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    Centaur mini-series

• refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to give the first centaur a background too:

• refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    Entry for the ArtWar contest over at CubeBrush. Mainly wanted to practice doing splash-art type illustrations and learned a lot. Won't skip the research and thumbnails iteration early on because it wastes so much time trying to fix things that are fundamentally wrong with a piece.

• refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantasy fighter girl, like from an imaginary D&D group. 
    Tweaked and adjusted insignificant things so much at the end, going to try and finish pieces faster now and try to force myself to only render whats important because I end up going back and trying to tone things down after anyway for readability. The longer I spend on something the more I get into a soft, digital look with little touches of overlay and colour layers instead of just making decisive strokes. 

Also I have to study faces  :s

Had been trying all sorts of things towards the end, jewelry and hairstyles.. jewelry example:

Earlier stage - Rougher, but there's always some charm to the earlier stages that gets buffed out the longer I spend screwing around  :p