Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Georges St. Pierre - a likeness

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
most recent update:

final portrait, I think?!

Hi all, 

Trying to refine my freehand likeness sculpting skills. Referencing Georges St. Pierre for this one because he's got some pretty cool asymmetrical stuff going on. The end goal is to get the realistic likeness as close as possible, develop fine skin detail techniques, finalize with beauty render.

Here's my reference sheet:

And my WIP 01:

Refining some more before moving on to tertiary level stuff. 

Would love some critiques, because I feel like the likeness isn't quite there yet. 

Thanks! 
:p 

Replies

• Cactus on Fire
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    You definitely got the general form of his face, even the ear detail. Maybe the small incline on the top of his nose bridge could be emphasized a little more but thats about it. With the skin texture detail and the facial lines, it will be a great work.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You're well on your way to capturing the likeness. Here are some things that stick out for me:

GSP has quite pronounced masseter muscles. Your model doesn't reflect this.
    The temporal ridge is way too sharp and it just shoots back at an angle rather than an arc.
    The temporalis muscle is absent.
    There is a weird lump that you've sculpted up from the zygomatic onto the area where the temporalis isn't ;)
    The skull angles back sharply above the forehead rather than arcs.
    The ears seem too far back.
    The skull from front seems too wide. This is probably because your main ref image has a distorted perspective. It is much wider in this ref in comparison to all the others. I find that setting ZB's perspective to 30 is good when working from photo-refs.

Keep at it. You're doing well.
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cactus on Fire Thank you! I noticed the nose bridge thing also. I appreciate the comment. 

@musashidan Thanks! Lots of valid points there. I was definitely having some trouble with the zygomatic and temporalis area. He's got a really weird exaggerated protrusion there and it's hard to see where it starts and stops. 
    I actually have been using ZB's perspective at 30, but choosing the right photos to reference is something I still have to work on. 

WIP 02 - tried to fix some of the problems from critiques, and started adding skin irregularities:

Once this part looks good and done, I'll move on to more micro level details. 
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    Good work so far.

Thank you, that paintover was very helpful! You start to miss little things like that after staring at the same sculpture for so long. I appreciate it. 

Here's update 03. Tried to fix some of the mentioned things, and also started tertiary detailing and skin pore work. It's a little extreme at the moment, but every time I do a test render with SSS, it softens a ton of that detail. Can't tell if I'm moving further away from the likeness or not. 

• garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Nice work on GSP! 
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work on GSP! 

Thanks! :). Hoping to start working on texturing tomorrow. 
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, 

Starting texture pass. Screengrab in ZBrush for now. 

• PattyWhacker
    Offline / Send Message
    PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
    I feel like the lips need some more cuts into them. Compared to your reference, it's not as detailed. I also think using fibermesh for the eyebrows would be better depending on whether or not you're going for a photo-realistic look or making this in-game resolution. I think you should go for both. For presentation purposes, I think you should add on a shirt mesh later on with shoulders that goes down to at least to the chest. I don't know if that's what you were planning on doing, but I think it'll make your piece look better than if you had just a severed head. Looking good so far. I think once you get that eye detail in, I think it should almost be good to go.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Great progress on this. I agree about the lips.

And you're right about exaggerating the tertiary details. SSS definitely softens a lot of it.
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    @PattyWhacker @musashidan Thanks guys! Definitely took note about the lip suggestion and detailed it a bit more. 

And..shader test! I think I'm feeling happier with the likeness. Still quite a bit more work to do before it's ready for any sort of final render. Would love to hear thoughts. 

• AXEL
    Offline / Send Message
    AXEL polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, amazing !
    Where did you render this ?
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    @AXEL

Thank you! This is in Arnold Render. 
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Any chance you could share what maps are you using ? Shallow/Mid/Deep SSS or just a single one ? :)

Looking really nice! Eye shader needs work, but I guess you did not even touch it ;)
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    I really appreciate the shoutout and getting on the front page with this thread :) was a nice surprise to see.

@Jackub

Thanks! At the moment, I'm using a specific painted spec, displacement, diffuse and a single sss map. Once I start refining the shader and finishing the sculpt I'm sure I'll end up using multiple SSS maps, but for now these maps are much quicker and sufficient enough for prelim testing purposes.

I haven't touched the eye yet at all, as you mentioned ha. It's actually just a super basic shader at the moment.
    -
    -
    Quick update! Started a body, as I think I'd like to go the full distance with this one. Got the base down, and started asymmetry etc. but anatomy needs a bit of work still before I move on to detailing. Haven't touched the hands or feet yet.

• polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more body WIP action. Details are quite a bit exaggerated right now, but the SSS has definitely muted them on the head, so following that path. Some anatomical issues going on here though I think. Would love to hear some opinions!

• polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    shader test for the body - 

the spec map is still pretty awful at the moment

• polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anybody have any links to good resources for reading up on current/next gen game specifics? I'm thinking about taking this model real-time and want to check out what the current industry standard is for things like UVs and topology. 
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, 

Some more work on the portrait

• polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    and some face topology!

Let me know if it can be improved anywhere
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some uvs for the head! eyes etc. not included. 

How is this for head uvs? What can I do better?

• polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    My first thread featured in the recap! :proud:

Here's an update.

Untextured render

wireframe

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    I'm blown away by the shaders on the skin, this honestly looks gorgeous. Congrats on making it into the recap! :)
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    @gfelton thank you! I may do a breakdown of the shader at some point if there is enough interest. 

Anyway, unless any has any major critiques, I think the bust is done for now! May continue working on the full body. 

Here's my final updated renders of the portrait. I think they are less muddy than my original renders. 

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    I would consider dimming the lighting on his left *slightly* and introducing a subtle highlight (if possible) to his jaw on the right because it looks quite flat at the moment. I feel like a highlight on his jaw would just make the pores/stubble read a bit better because, at the moment, it stands out a little bit as being completely flat even though I know it isn't. Kind of being nit-picky, but just my two cents. Final product came out great otherwise, you did a fantastic job! :)
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Wonderful. Any chance you talk a little about the process of creating the skin pores?

• polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Isunoj ! Thank you, I appreciate your comment. I'll do a bigger breakdown at some point, but I can give you the gist of it for now.

Essentially, I started off with some very subtle surface noise, just to break up the surface of the skin in big patches. 

Then I started pores. Basic zbrush alphas, as well as photo sourcing. 

Then I added on the bigger details on top, more specific to this specific sculpt (followed specific acne patterns, pimples in similar places, scars in the same places as reference, stuble, etc.)

And vwalaa! That's the general process I usually go through for something like this. Like I said though, I'm going to do a more detailed right up hopefully soonish. Hope that helps!
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    @polaroid29 Thanks for explanation.  =)