Home Technical Talk

dealing with environment resolution (texel density).

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Klo Works polycounter lvl 8
hi,
I  want to know what the workflow you guys dealing with texel density 

in this room I have many props.
my question is what the best  way to make all equal in texel density so I don't find the chair texture  resolution higher than the table.

is it about :
- decide  the texture per meter let say I decide to be 512px per 1 meter.
- I make all props 512px per 1 meter and if there small props I share the UV with other props.
is that what people do or did I misunderstand the concept ?

or is it about I model fpr each props in 2048 res then in the engine I control the resolution ?

still give me headache on how to deal with resolution specially about texel density until now Iam confused.

Replies

• Sajeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    Well in my opinion the easiest way to see that everything having the same texel density is to apply a checker texture to everything in the scene. and then modify the uv's so that the checker pattern is the same size on everything in the scene.. then you know that everything have the same texel density..
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    It depends on whether you're texture atlasing groups of props or uniquely texturing each one. Once you have your texel scale setup, 512=1m2 then you can use texel specific  calculator tools to resize unique props to different texture resolutions. I don't know what 3d software you use but in Max textools plugin you can calculate this automatically. So if you had, say, a telephone on its own texture sheet and a table and chairs on another, it will calculate based on your 512=1m2 and the telephone might get a 128 map and the table/chairs a 512. Then you can resize the uv islands, if you need to, for each texture sheet.
  • Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends on whether you're texture atlasing groups of props or uniquely texturing each one. Once you have your texel scale setup, 512=1m2 then you can use texel specific  calculator tools to resize unique props to different texture resolutions. I don't know what 3d software you use but in Max textools plugin you can calculate this automatically. So if you had, say, a telephone on its own texture sheet and a table and chairs on another, it will calculate based on your 512=1m2 and the telephone might get a 128 map and the table/chairs a 512. Then you can resize the uv islands, if you need to, for each texture sheet.
    ok, @musashidan
    can you help me if my explanation is correct or not. 

let say in this room there is 4 things table ,chair,telephone and floor . I setup texel scale 1 meter = 512 

now all props are equal I put it in 3 separate texture :
    table with phone =512x512
    floor = 512x512
    chair = 256x512

is this how it meant ?

and if I want to make it atlas 

I put all in one texture but  I end up with space is this consider ok ? 

the UV is 1024x1024 I put all props in one UV but I end up with 512 space... 

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Basically yes , If you're going to religiously stick to texel density (which i support)  then you will end up wasting texture space if you can't find something new to put into it. That said  you could probably ram all that into a 1024x512 page if you thought about it. 
  • Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Basically yes , If you're going to religiously stick to texel density (which i support)  then you will end up wasting texture space if you can't find something new to put into it. That said  you could probably ram all that into a 1024x512 page if you thought about it. 
    @poopipe  thanks 
    so all I need to do is planing first.
    like the wasting space maybe I add more stuff on it or put the floor in separate so I got 512*512 and one with all props in 1024*512.

one more question if I planing to make each props have their own texture. and I make it hi res 2048. then in the engine I reduce it to 256 or 512 to fit with the level texel density is this method fine ? since I am planing to use the telephone or other props in different level and cutscene.