Home Technical Talk

Messed vertex normals ?

Peksio
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Peksio polycounter lvl 4
Hello. I would like to ask You for Your help.

I have a low poly model. I baked it in substance painter 2 and it looked fine but after I imported it to UE4 I realised that I have problem with vertex normals.

I tried to triangulizate it or fix them manually but it didn't work.

My question is - How can I fix this vertex normals ? I have hope that I don't have to models this once more from zero :P

Screens: (I am talking mostly about this little hole and about normals in this bigger cylinder)

Thanks and Cheers !

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only your triangulated edges are soft, there's nothing truly messed up here. Use Mesh Display> Set Normal Angle with a starting value somewhere in the 20-30 range to start with and adjust as needed. From there you may need to manually adjust some edges to soft/hard to suit your needs; this is usually easier to do before you triangulate to make loop selection easier.

You should have something looking like this in the end:

• Peksio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peksio polycounter lvl 4
    I forgot to tell You that this dotted lines are not soft edges but preview how my mesh is triangulating :/
    My soft/hard edges are good I think
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In that case I'm not sure I understand your issue or what you expect to see here. In the hole picture, I see a little skewing around the rim in the normals display, but I don't know if those faces are curved or planar from that image. The topmost of the rim has a highlight that might be incorrect, but again, I don't have a feel for the profile here.

So if the normals are skewing unexpectedly, try unlocking them, set everything to face, clear history then do the edge smoothing again and see how that looks.
  • Peksio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peksio polycounter lvl 4
    Thank You for Your answer. This helped a little but in the end I had to add more geometry to that place after that my normal map managed to fix this weird shading.

But I am still grateful because I learned something about vertex normals :-)