Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SPAS 12 WIP

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Thanez interpolator
I'm still working on my black mesa weapon replacement pack, and it's time for the SPAS 12.

Newest:

I'm aiming for 10-15k tris for the view model, and will model in details that will render >10x10 pixels onscreen at 1080p and I'll be doing all the internals that are visible during normal animations unless I get too lazy. I'm ignoring the details on the heat shield under the front of the pump.
There's still a lot to do on this, and the stuff inside the stock frame is confusing me. Need more references there.
Do ask anything and crit harshly if you catch me doing bullshit.

Here's a marmo viewer of the HP: http://skins.thanez.net/spas12/wip1/
I'm using marmo to figure out my materials as I go, and it's proving a valuable asset in my workflow :)

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    High poly looks good so far, the bolt is missing but I guess thats something you are going to make next.

• Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Yeah, I've got the breech block assembly, magazine spring, safety, both sights, carrier plate, shell*2 and various details all over left to do, but I just traded time with my GF. I help her with a certain chapter in her studies, and I get a whole day to model, so progress on this should be faster than usual :)
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Oh those are some nice suggestions. I really like that attachable stock option but I can't find any reference pics other than the one you posted. Any idea what it's actually called?

New wip in marmo with SIZE WARNING: 70MB
    Front sight post is too tall, I know. Something is wrong with my model but I don't know which part is off, cause shit ain't lining up properly. The sights should be lining up through that big old hole in the front of the stock end piece, right? I'm having a hard time finding refs that show the internals of the stock D:

Edit: New marmo wip with sights done. SIZE WARNING: 75MB
    http://skins.thanez.net/spas12/wip3/
    I might revisit the bolt breech assembly to make it more authentic. If you stare at it too long, the over-simplicity of it shines through.
    Never mind about that whole sighting biz, turns out the springy stuff inside the stock covers up the sights. Silly contraption IMHO, but I should really study refs better before I start modeling :P

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    No critiques here, just felt the need to say that your topology looks gorgeous :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing I would say is that the stock is very thin. I would increase the thickness of it. Otherwise. Good job.

• Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    gfelton said:
    No critiques here, just felt the need to say that your topology looks gorgeous :)
    Thanks, I try and do everything correctly until I can't, and spend a lot of time to make the right kind of compromise when I get weird topology so it'll smooth correctly.
    Only thing I would say is that the stock is very thin. I would increase the thickness of it. Otherwise. Good job.

Thankye, I'll be revisiting the stock, making both pieces thicker :)

Edit: I got to do some more stuff today. Haven't gotten around to the stock thickness yet :)

• Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Doublepost, yaay!
    Got some more work in, redid the materials for the stock, fixed the width of it so it's ,5 instead of ,35 thick (45%-ish addition) which gave the added benefit of getting a stronger angle on those inward bends going towards the front (from top view), woo.
    Tighten up the graphics.

Thanks for the crit, Pedro. Too many people let me get away with bullshit :)

80MB link: http://skins.thanez.net/spas12/wip4/

I noticed how much better the shadows look in viewer VS toolbag, especially when two lights overlap and their shadows intersect, sheeeesh.
    I have to look for a setting to increase D:

• Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Try turning on/off "Contact Refinement" under the lights settings and play with "Width" to get area shadows(blurry). Also perhaps try disabling/enabling "Front-Face Shadows" under Render. Maybe even High-Res Shadows, also under Render. Hope that helps!
    edit: area lights/shadows/width aren't supported in Viewer, so you might get different shading results between the two.
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Thanks for the tip (huehue) Drew, I'll check it out when I get home :)