Replies

• Ubuska
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    My progress so far (day 2)
  • Valvoa
    Offline / Send Message
    Valvoa polycounter lvl 8
    day one block out, still trying to achieve a decent fov to match the concept, seems a little off to me, shelves might be a little thin. I'll probably do a diorama for this one. 
  • Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfido polycounter lvl 11
    @Mrfido the sculpt looks very promising. You might want to sharpen it a bit since it looks a bit soft in some areas.

Thanks for the feedback. Will try and push my sculpt that way.  Here is my next WIP 

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Devon M polycounter lvl 4
    My progress for the night. Catch you guys tomorrow.

• Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    Omnicypher polycounter lvl 9
    I toned down the saturation a bit, and i redesigned the back windows to be more Chinese and less Roman.

[ Images Deleted due to photobuckets greed. ]
  • Valvoa
    Offline / Send Message
    Valvoa polycounter lvl 8
    I toned down the saturation a bit, and i redesigned the back windows to be more Chinese and less Roman.

Good Start, excited to see the lighting in this scene. If you don't mind me asking what FOV are you using on your camera?
  • Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    JUSTIN VOYE  the FOV is 35 degrees, and the camera orientation is ( 92, 0, 43 )
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress. Doing the sculpting for the door is proving to be difficult =P

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished modeling for the most part :pleased:

• Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress:

• Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys just posting a small update just beating up edges for now, going to continue in zbrush will post when im done

@Omnicypher  Just wondering how come the wood looks a little noisy, is that the normal map?
  • Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws said:
    @Omnicypher  Just wondering how come the wood looks a little noisy, is that the normal map?
    yeah, the wood normals are a bit noisy. i made the normal and spec map by using a filter on the texture, just to get a sense of the resolution and lighting in blender. but i should have been more careful to darken the chipped areas of the wood, so they would show up as holes instead of bumps.
  • Phoenix_Trite
    I'm jumping in on this challenge, rough blockout in ~20 min. Hopefully, you can see what concept I'm aiming for!

• danielsamson
    Offline / Send Message
    danielsamson polycounter lvl 2
    Started the challenge today. I am going for a more realistic version of the scene, rather than sticking with the Warcraft style. At this stage just modelling, not UV'd anything, so lots of errors with the lighting. I am making quite a few changes to things to make it sit into the style I want to go for.
  • Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    Devon M said:
    Finished modeling for the most part :pleased:

Good job so far Devon, I would try pushing the form a little more. I would also work on your intersections to really help make the door pop. 

Here is my update as well. 

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    So, umm, question from a retarded char artist...  How do I start texturing this thing ?? Do I give every modular thing 1024 texture size ?? How do I know how optimize this should be ???  Or at this point, should I just do it and make it look good. And learn to optimize scene later as my skills improve ??

• danielsamson
    Offline / Send Message
    danielsamson polycounter lvl 2
    PyrZern said:
    So, umm, question from a retarded char artist...  How do I start texturing this thing ?? Do I give every modular thing 1024 texture size ?? How do I know how optimize this should be ???  Or at this point, should I just do it and make it look good. And learn to optimize scene later as my skills improve ??

I would recommend trying to break the scene up into obviously tiling textures, things such as the floor, walls and so on. Then also create a second set of trim textures you can reuse on certain pieces. You can also make some hero assets that have a bit more character to them. Decal's can also be helpful in creating variety in your scene while still using the same texture sheets, for instance a grunge decal or a puddle decal that you can place over the top of another texture. Also try to keep the same texel density on all of your props and models, as it creates a good consistency across the scene.

I personally think there is nothing wrong with just getting it to look good and optimise later, it helps you keep your interest levels up and really thats one of the hardest parts. Worrying too much about the technical aspects from the start can kill it for some people. Down side is that you will probably have to throw out some of your work and redo it.
  • Teukka
    Offline / Send Message
    Teukka null
    Hello polycount community!  It's my first post and first monthly challenge so I'd be glad to get some critique as I'm relatively inexperienced at modeling alltogether.

I've used some real references for that fax modem at the bottom prop and here's where I'm so far.  After finishing the modem I think I'll start cutting it like in the concept and create base shape for that cancerous flesh thing and finally sculpt some detail to it.

I'm also learning substance designer so I gave a try for the flesh part. I'm trying to give it a slightly dried look. Guess the color is too purple-ish atleast?

• Sheers
    I think you can make-do without those cracks.  See if you can find some more organic skin patterns and use that. You have a nice color for the blood/flesh, but look into some triad or adjacent colors to add more impact to it.  Go forth!

I'm aiming for the same prop as well.   I plan on working in Quixel for this one.  
  • zekio309
    Offline / Send Message
    zekio309 polycounter lvl 6
    Been a couple days since I've had the chance to mess with anything. I've been working on making a tiling ground texture within my Trimsheet.

I am happy with the progress I've gotten so far but as I can see it needs work. anybody got any tips to push me in the right way? thanks =)

• Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern said:
    How do I start texturing this thing ?? Do I give every modular thing 1024 texture size ?? How do I know how optimize this should be ??? 
    you could start by organizing the parts by region, by asking: "which of these objects are Locally owned by the library vs which of these objects are Global to Pandaria?"

some textures always go together, like the parts of the pillar and the bookshelf, so they should be on the same sheet. the hand rail is made from similar materials as the shelf, so it probably belongs on the same sheet. these are library trims.

generic props that could be moved around, like books, scrolls, pottery, footstools, and plants can go on a separate texture, because you might find those in places that aren't a library, and you don't need to load library wood textures just to look at a scroll in a stone cave. 

then you could have another texture for lights, candles, sconces, torches, glowing runes, etc... 

then you have the stone floor, which should be a separate tile texture, because it is reused outside the library. 

and finally, if you want an exterior, you can see exteriors from anywhere, so they are global. 

so 5 textures: a library trim, Pandarian props, Pandarian lights, Pandarian floor tile and exterior Pandarian pagoda trims.

but you may also want library decals, and global decals, and you may want to separate plants from props, etc... but try not to break everything into too many separate textures. 

---
    so in summary, separate the generic from the specific, and separate the emissive and transparent. 

---
    to know how large a texture you should use, try painting on your model and seeing if the resolution looks good enough. once one prop is scaled correctly, you can unwrap everything to a checker grid to get a similar scale. you can decide a rule, like "every 256 pixels is a meter of trim", but sometimes a prop is more important and needs more detail, like text on a sign or a characters face, and other times a prop is mostly just a smooth solid color, and those can take up tiny bits of the texture, but its good to stick to a consistent world pixel density in general. 

---

but if planning this stuff out is slowing you down, you can kinda ignore all of this and just start painting a long trim sheet. 256 X 2048 or 512 x 1024, or some other power of 2 rectangle. if you run out of room, you can double the length of the texture, and half the height of your uv islands.

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Omnicypher That sounds very organized there. Makes perfect sense to separate props by areas, and reuse the same cultural props throughout the region. Gotta remember this for if/when I do more envo stuff.

Made more props and pieces to the scenes. Scales a bit off, but for now I will let it pass... I'd be happy just to finish the piece. I'm pretty sure the texturing gonna be the end of me.

This is how I plan for the diorama to look like: like a chunk sliced off from the scene.  Bumped up AO to see things clearly.

• Sheers
    If anyone is doing the modem prop (the white machine in the last concept), I found some references that should help with getting the back side.  Just click the images on the page to enhance them here (https://www.getthatpart.com/US-Robotics-56K-Sportster-V_90-External-Fax-Modem-5686-03.html).  Hope that helps!

• Ubuska
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    Today I returned to my challenge item, current stage:
  • zekio309
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ubuska Looking Nice keep up the good work =). Just curious the main skull in the center of the door, is the skull supposed to look complete when the door is shut or does it contain that split in the middle regardless?  just figured I'd ask.

I thought I had a good Idea by starting with a floor texture but a friend of mine gave me good input to do a little sculpting instead =P.
    Still need to create the diffuse for these but wanted to post them up to get some feedback from the community.

I made 2 different tiling sculpts for the floor texture which are posted as follows: 

• Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    Im messing with masks and gradient mapping in UE4, so i can apply metal inlay details onto any material, and change their colors with material parameters. 

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Looking great so far, everyone!
    I couldn't resist having a shot at those lovely icky eyes.  Might be a good one to start learning Substance Painter with.

• Dextkiller
    Offline / Send Message
    Dextkiller polycounter lvl 7
    Throwing my hat in the ring for some props. Just got finished with a semester, need some stuff to fill out my 3 weeks off. Here's some color groupings to get started. 

• Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished with the sculpt 

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Mrfido - very nice! You could add some really big, deep cracks to help create asymmetry, it would look gorgeous.

I am about to go try out Substance Painter, see if I can make some really disgusting, wet looking textures...

• Sheers
    @AllyAlbon the portion of blubber/mucus looks good! Are you planning on modeling the broken pieces of the modem? 

Here's an update on my materials.  I'm not sure if I should cut back on the blood or not, maybe someone could give some more insight?  These are renders I did in Designer.

• mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Loving all these. Especially the gross mutant blobs coming out of the electronics. Not sure I'll have time for any of these this month but these are all awesome. :)

@Sheers I'd cut back on the blood in the cracks a bit. Or if you want to keep the blood, would make sense to have some blood dripping down at certain spots. Another thing I noticed in the model is it looks like the modem is cut out for the blob rather than the blob "breaking" out of the modem. Just a thought.
  • Dominic Sewell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dominic Sewell polycounter lvl 4
    @Sheers I'm really liking the slimey alien texture in regards to the blood i think its about right on the cusp definitely dont add any more, if anything id darken the blood make it look more like the blood has dried in the crevices on the piece
  • zekio309
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have been trying a little bit different approach on my textures, beginning at making what I want in zbrush and then working on applying them to my trim sheet and going from there. I realize the month is already over so I aim to have at least 2 good props with a tiling floor. Here is what I have so far;

• Sheers
    @VirtualInsomnia and @mobkon, I adjusted the blood in dried up areas and added a small buildup of blood inside of the cracks. I added small punctures where the cables emerge from.  I think I'll add more verts near the cracks to push that bursting effect.

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Sheers - Wow, yours looks vile, in the best possible way!  Its really gooey and I kinda want to poke it.  Really nice sticky sheen - your spec is really good.  I didn't model in any damage, just added it in normal ma, not particularly visible in my screenshot below

Loved making the vile, sticky, veiny texture!  No spec/roughness yet.

• Dominic Sewell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dominic Sewell polycounter lvl 4
    @Sheers  Blood detail looks a lot better now pal nice job
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Another update, still need to do some sculpting and detail work like cuts etc

@Sheers
     Wow nice detail on the blob alien thing lol, will you make different color variations by any chance?
  • entropia
    Offline / Send Message
    entropia polycounter lvl 8
    My modem progress (I intend to do stereo too, if I manage to squeeze into deadline)
  • Jordz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordz polycounter lvl 8
    I really enjoyed the first concept and this is where I'm currently at with it (Just a screen grab):

I am really liking some of these modems.
  • josh.0
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    Used 3d Coat to model (voxels) and texture.  Some Zbrush to get rid of the messy voxels (auto polygroups then deleted all the random garbage 3d coat makes) then I sculpted skull and added some noise.  Still very high poly.  Haven't found a good  workflow for lowpoly and UV unwrap.  Maybe 6 hours total, but I wasn't rushing it.

some marmoset screenshots:

• Supposable Lion
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    I didn't spend as much time I thought I would working on it through this month. I'm not going to leave it unfinished though, but it's the end of the month so I wanted to put up an update of where I am.

• T3DArt
    Offline / Send Message
    T3DArt null
    I saw this thread too late in the month. I will put an attempt into the july challenge. Neat work from everyone tho this month
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Finished this a few days ago, but somehow it is now July and i missed the deadline!  Enjoyed this one so much I am going to have a shot at the cassette player too.  

• Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon said:
    Finished this a few days ago, but somehow it is now July and i missed the deadline!  Enjoyed this one so much I am going to have a shot at the cassette player too.  

Good job AllyAlbon I really like how this came out. It reads really well for being that low poly :D 

Here is my finished project, sorry that it was a little late but better late then never. 

You can see more on my Artstation (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1Bdb3)

• entropia
    Offline / Send Message
    entropia polycounter lvl 8
    I finally finished the modem :dizzy: 

• CMPearce
    Offline / Send Message
    CMPearce polycounter lvl 7
    @entropia Fantastic work! I am loving the textures, you have captured the concept really well. I think the concept has the growth a little more wet/slimy compared with yours, however this works just as well and it has a really...disgusting feel to it - in the best possible sense of the word obviously :) I would love to see your texture page for this.