hero character
Offline / Send Message
Macebo hero character
I'll begin: 

> Relatively complex scene

> Start to explode meshes using keyframes
> Finishes it
> Realize you forgot to press the "auto key" button

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This happened twice today. When will autodesk make a warning like "pls no ferget about auto key"?

Replies

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    - click a bit of geo with wacom; accidentally and imperceptibly move it and not realise. (I use the pen 100% of the time, my mouse hasn't been used in a decade lol)
    - think about saving before doing something experimental, but don't, then throw pen in rage at the failed outcome.
    - find out a third party script hasn't written in support for undo, or worse, has only written it in for _some_ aspects, leaving you to discover where they forgot much later. 
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    OMG, yes! I remembered one i do a lot. I can't be the only one lol:

> Select a loop/some vertices
    > Move/scale/rotate
    > Significant amount of time passes
    > Realize you moved unwanted geometry on the other side of the model

I usually forget to turn on ignore backfaces, but when i do, i don't.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Macebo said:
    OMG, yes! I remembered one i do a lot. I can't be the only one lol:

> Select a loop/some vertices
    > Move/scale/rotate
    > Significant amount of time passes
    > Realize you moved unwanted geometry on the other side of the model

I usually forget to turn on ignore backfaces, but when i do, i don't.
    yeah miss selections I find are by far the worst, it has lead me to always double check what I have selected real quick, a quick check can save a world of hurt.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    For exploding meshes, I also make sure I have snap to grid on so even if I messed up the key frames it'll take no time to move things back.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Oh heres one when you load up your autobackup in max after it crashes, forget its an autobackup save it, then start working on another mesh and it replaces the autobackup of the one you recovered.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    @macebo oh yeah man, bad snaps are infuriating, especially in ortho where you don't always see it!

@excessivezero my autobackup has stopped working entirely this week :expressionless:
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6

Shoutout to the guy that put the save button right next to the reload button in Blender.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Somehow end up with a million Polygroups in outliner with only a transform in them. 
  • Zitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zitch polycounter lvl 8
    When you lock your computer and Max decides that your model would look better as a piece of abstract art.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Zbrush: sculpting something thin and find the other side of the model has been horrifically sucked in. Is there a way to turn this behaviour off? I.e ignore backfacing?
  • melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    Blender (really and program with UV Seams)
    Loop select-mark seam- continue UV layout -finally UV's arranged like a beautiful puzzle piece and

shit there was a hole in my loop/ select cause a triangle blocked one edge... well that explains the distortion

• Catzcratch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catzcratch polycounter lvl 6
    Chimp said:
    Zbrush: sculpting something thin and find the other side of the model has been horrifically sucked in. Is there a way to turn this behaviour off? I.e ignore backfacing?
    there is an option that does just that " back face auto mask " just remember to do this for each brush you use
    you can find it in Brush-auto masking
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Making massive model changes and constructions in edit mode.........
    [spoiler]realizing i did all that while editing a SHAPE KEY[/spoiler]
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Zbrush not saving auto-backface mask setting. have to turn it on again after closing/opening zbrush. Zbrush saves project to the last location you accessed and you end up with saved projects in Brush folder or Alpha folder or whatever.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Forgetting to turn Zbrush wrap mode on for every single goddamn brush when doing something tilable.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    3DS Max
    - Cut tool doesn't cut, but connect works just fine.
    - Relax UV, 3DS Max turns the UV island into a wonderful butterfly
    - Corrupted mesh/scene whatever... Start over.

Why, Autodesk? The cut tool just blows my mind. I can never make it work when snaped to a view in ortographic mode. Also, the bridge operation:

> Have a triangle, want to bridge it
    > Press bridge button/press shortcut
    > Nothinghappens.jpg
    > Press bridge little button with menu
    > It just works

I just can't understand... Little things like these, if adressed, would make the modeling process a lot more enjoyable. 

Anyway, i got this amazing script that does the job of bridging triangles, alongside with other really good functionalities: 
    http://polycount.com/discussion/149508/maxscripts-stuffs-i-use-and-whatnot/p1
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    When Maya crashes during a save operation and not only doesn't save, but breaks the save you were overwriting (and to top it off, was being lazy to increment saves for the past couple of hours of work).  Good times.  
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hitting "Reload" on the file menu while attempting to save a texture in Blender.  It happens without confirmation so much work is lost and it's placed right next to the save button :(
  • Bluestemos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
    Using the relax tool in Cinema 4D's UV editor and ending up with UV islands that look like curly fries.

And of course waiting 30 mins for my maps to be baked, only to have my GPU freeze before it's finished.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    That brief existential crisis when you switch between programs with wildly different viewport controls at 2am, and just as your confusion turns to panic and finally acceptance of this new empty existence in which you are trapped, you realise you're just in xNormal and the mouse is locked.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Kbrom12 said:
    maya
    One word, a thousand stories!
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Bek said:
    That brief existential crisis when you switch between programs with wildly different viewport controls at 2am, and just as your confusion turns to panic and finally acceptance of this new empty existence in which you are trapped, you realise you're just in xNormal and the mouse is locked.
    Existential modeling?  :p

This happened with me, but i was completely sober. Two, three times, i was pressing all the buttons trying to move the camera, until i checked Xnormal documentantion. Best software, worst interfaces S01E01
  • SmallPoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SmallPoly polycounter lvl 8
    Putting version notes in filenames instead of using stuff like SVN:

> ENV_Showroom_008_final_pluslamppost_final_final_nocurtains_rev2_1A_2(new).max
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Import a massive solidworks file into 3ds Max that takes forever to save, so turn off autosave for the time being while you are breaking it down. Inevitably forget to turn autosave back on, have the program crash, lose lots of work because you take it for granted and don't save as often as you should. 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    > Getting some work done, it's a good day
    > Maya
    > Maya does a Maya
    > Unmaya and Maya again
    > Maya Mayas my Maya
    > splashscreen.pcx
    > So I Maya another Maya and it Mayas

Also clicking on screenshots I just made.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 12
    Forgetting to turn on layer recording in Zbrush. Doh!
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    > Getting some work done, it's a good day
    > Maya
    > Maya does a Maya
    > Unmaya and Maya again
    > Maya Mayas my Maya
    > splashscreen.pcx
    > So I Maya another Maya and it Mayas

Also clicking on screenshots I just made.

Ok. People are trying to Maya up this thread.
    This is now a Maya Maya thread; please don't Maya this thread further, or i'll Maya you.
  • Drocho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drocho polycounter lvl 2
    Hito said:
    Zbrush not saving auto-backface mask setting. have to turn it on again after closing/opening zbrush. Zbrush saves project to the last location you accessed and you end up with saved projects in Brush folder or Alpha folder or whatever.
    These. ALL the these.
  • CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CptAlbatross polycounter lvl 4
    > UV unwrapping
    > Halfway through a particular complex model
    > Pelt map a piece of geometry
    > Bring up the relax tool window
    > Initiate relax
    > Max crashes
    >You forgot to save for your session

Thank you Max.

> Open up a heavy scene in Max
    > Oh jeez, gonna have to turn off Skype for this one
    > 30 minutes later autosave starts
    > Max freezes
    > Pucker level 7
    > Max crashes

Guess it's time to turn off auto save and bust out the whiskey bottle again.

Edit: Mmm, that first one just happened. Time to start this Monday off right.
  • Mateus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    I forget to turn on the mirroring in Zbrush all the time, and the ReSym usually doesn't save me.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    > UV unwrapping
    > Halfway through a particular complex model
    > Pelt map a piece of geometry
    > Bring up the relax tool window
    > Initiate relax
    > Max crashes
    >You forgot to save for your session

Thank you Max.

> Open up a heavy scene in Max
    > Oh jeez, gonna have to turn off Skype for this one
    > 30 minutes later autosave starts
    > Max freezes
    > Pucker level 7
    > Max crashes

Guess it's time to turn off auto save and bust out the whiskey bottle again.

Edit: Mmm, that first one just happened. Time to start this Monday off right.

The relax tool crash happened so often to me that i came to a point where i saved the project everytime i opened it. Then i realised that when i reset the Xform of the model i'm relaxing the crashes wouldn't  happen. I use Polyunwrapper with Max, and when the model need a transformation reset the tool warns you that the transform matrices of the model should be reseted :D

• jaymart15
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaymart15 polycounter lvl 4
    When that inside voice says ''save now'' but you don't and two seconds later the program crash.And you think,damn I've raised the bar that time and don't think I can replicate it.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Every now and then Maya likes to tease me.. usually one of these
    1)  it's all of a sudden ignoring basic hotkeys like w,e,r forcing me to restart
    2) the pivot gets stuck and won't automatically snap to the selection center anymore, restart
    3) a combination of keys switches to a different keyboard language (think it's alt+shift), I need to see if I can change this hotkey.. it's driving me mad

I haven't lost (a lot of) work in ages though, learned to save frequently.
  • SteveHarlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SteveHarlow polycounter lvl 7
    pigart said:

Shoutout to the guy that put the save button right next to the reload button in Blender.

I know i do this to myself, but i use Control W to save, which i do habitually. Control Q is quit, and both have a little click through "are you sure dude?" popup to make sure you don't blow anything up

look at your keyboard and tell me how that could go wrong
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    I hate when I'm in the zone and I'm pressing hot keys really fast in max and I right-click to get out of a tool, like extrude or inset, and accidentally end up clicking on a button in the pop-up menu. Kills all that momentum, then I gotta go back and see what I just clicked.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I know i do this to myself, but i use Control W to save, which i do habitually.
    Related to hotkeys and Blender's wonderfully and brilliantly designed Image Editor's file menu, i've learned the hard way that the Alt-S hotkey ONLY WORKS if that Image pane is in "Paint" mode.  It doesn't work on Mask (which Is what I leave it on while painting in a 3D viewport instead)

Much skin work was recently lost this way by trusting Alt-S to work at any time. !@#$%^*()
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    You're in the zone, just modelling in Max and go to change the display type to either wireframe or just turn off wires and accidentally press F1 and your browser launches into a new window for the Autodesk help webpage. I'd like to have a nice long chat with whoever the fuck thought that was a good idea to hotkey.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    One thing i recently noticed, but it was so recorrent that i almost didn't realise it happened, is to try to press the "open" button inside Photoshop but hitting the "browse in bridge".
    Talking about button placement... 
  • GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    @Mateus @Hito @Drocho
    You guys would get some benefit out of this plugin. It does a good job of remembering settings from the last project you had open in Zbrush :)
    ZStartupMaster

To also contribute to this thread, why doesn't Zbrush just have a normal Save feature? I compulsively Ctrl-S without losing my flow in every other software and now Zbrush has broken me out of that habit. You either have to Quicksave which saves to the Quicksave directory or break out of flow to "Save As" over my project :| Always the small things that get me lol
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about when I hit undo and the geometry goes to shit by randomly reconnecting faces edges and verts.

Ok... obviously this file is fooked, so I'll just reopen a previous save.

I got this. This is why I save in iteration. SEE, the file icon shows the geometry is fine. You didn't get me this time! (laughs maniacally)

(geometry is hosed)

sigh...  (hears faint and disembodied cackling)