Home Technical Talk

Can I sell a 3d model in unity asset store with a modified standard unity shader applied?

Andreea92
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Andreea92 vertex
I intend on selling a 3d horse in unity asset store, for its mane and tail I want to use polygon hair, in order for that to display correctly I need to modify the standard shader to show both faces, so my question is: its ok if I modify the standard unity shader and include it in the asset package or its copyright infringement?

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I know that's allowable, yeah.

I think if you were trying to sell modified mesh/texture assets from the Standard Assets / Example Projects then you'd be in trouble, but modified versions of Unity's shaders and script components should be fine.

That said, you might be better of simply duplicating and flipping the polygons used for the hair. That way people won't need to have a shader to use your asset.
  • Andreea92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreea92 vertex
    I thought to duplicate the hair polygons but that will increase the polygon count also I suspect it will create problems if someone will try to animate the hair using cloth.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if the shader is set to not cull backfaces, then you're effectively doubling the polycount of the entire mesh at render time, not just the mane. you're better off duplicating and flipping the mane alone.
  • Andreea92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreea92 vertex
    Thanks guys, I'll see what I'll do, maybe I will add two different materials, one for the hair that is double sided and one for the body that is one sided. I can't lay out the entire model on one UV set anyway, the textures will come out too low res.