Home Technical Talk

I am finding impossible to ...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I had been trying the last days to use Quixel and texture my big spaceship model with it , the model is high poly , but despite I have uvmapped every single pipe and bolt on the model I am finding really difficult to be able to assemble all the pieces into manageable textures , forst of all if I merge allpieces of the model into one single object and a single uvmap , I woul dhave to use a 16 k map size at least , quixel supports up to 8 , but that's not the problem the problem is that max crashes when I even try to merge 1/10th of the model and work on the uvmap projections.

Xnormal refuses even toload two high poly models and anyway the backing textures comes better out of max directly .

The problem is that I have to split the model into at least 25 different parts each with a big big texture and I am anyway loosing details on the smallest models that are getting like few pixels in the maps .

Even arranging then those uvmaps requires a huge amount of time due to max slowing down like was pulled by turtles , each action takes several seconds to complete if doesn't crash.

I am starting to feel frustrated and I am wondering , if is or not possible to actually texture high poly models directly with uvs and all instead of beeing forced to go with procedural ways ?
What I am doing wrong or what I am missing from the formula?

Replies