Home Technical Talk

Simon Fuchs tutorial - skinwrap/SlideKnit issue

christopheduron
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
christopheduron polycounter lvl 2
Hello guys,

Hopefully you're familiar with Simon Fuchs, but i'm currently following some tutorials that he created. I've come to the point where i'm experimenting with some of the new techniques i learned and i've stumbled on some issues with the skinwrap modifier in combination with a script called 'SlideKnit'.

Let me start off with some pictures:
I made some quick tiling detail that i want to wrap around a cylinder. I made sure my unwrap of the cylinder was on 0-1 space and that the UW map was flattened like in the tutorial, but as you can see it leaves some pieces of the skinwrapped object behind when 'slideknitting' the cylinder back into position.

Here are some pictures of the UV and UW space of the cylinder:

I've tried experimenting a lot with different unwraps of the cylinder, rotating it etc. The result is often a lot worse than in the pictures above.
(Oh yea, the result is usually slightly better because in the pictures above i forgot to turn on 'face deformation with a low falloff, but either way that stretching always occurs.)

If you're unfamiliar with the tutorial you can find them here https://gumroad.com/simonfuchs. They're great so be sure to check them out if you haven't yet! :+1:

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'm not familiar with the tutorial or what influence the UVs are supposed to have but that just looks like skinwrap's effect range does not reach far enough to grab the outer elements. try playing with falloff, distance influence and face limit values in the modifier settings.

if no setting gives a desireable result, you'll have to create a proxy object - something like a very low poly of that mesh - make that work well with skinwrap and then skinwrap your actual mesh to this proxy. some distortion may be unavoidable in process though.

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Why would you use that script for a cylinder, you could easy bend that detail and add it to the cylinder, that technique is for adding details to areas that are very hard to model something in them.
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using a simple mesh like a cylinder simple to test this method. As soon as i can get it to work on the cylinder i should be ready to progress to more difficult shapes.

thomasp said:
    i'm not familiar with the tutorial or what influence the UVs are supposed to have but that just looks like skinwrap's effect range does not reach far enough to grab the outer elements. try playing with falloff, distance influence and face limit values in the modifier settings.

if no setting gives a desireable result, you'll have to create a proxy object - something like a very low poly of that mesh - make that work well with skinwrap and then skinwrap your actual mesh to this proxy. some distortion may be unavoidable in process though.

I'll be sure to see if i can change some parameters of the skinwrap modifier. I'll let you know when i've done so!
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thomasp, you're up to something. If i move the 'detail' further away from the cylinder in its flat shape it grabs less or even nothing of the 'detail' when morphing the flat cylinder back to an actual cylinder. When i move the detail a bit inside the cylinder, it will work how i want it to work. However i don't want the 'detail' to be in the mesh, rather it has to be on the mesh. I've checked some of the skinwrap paramaters, but there doesn't seem to be any parameters i can tweak to change this effect.

So as you can see, the result is good. But i don't want the 'detail' to be inside of the cylinder. It has to be on top of it. And as far as i can see i'm missing a parameter that let's me decide the distance that gets grabbed when i morph the cylinder back to its original position.

Strange, strange...

But we're getting there! Any solutions perhaps? Thanks for the help so far!
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe i managed to 'fix' my issue. I seem to be unable to increase the 'reach' of the skin wrap modifier, but if i simply make the morphing mesh and the skinwrapped 'detail' smaller it seems to have the desired effect.

This does mean i might have to re-do this step a few times depending on the model i'm trying to make, but at least it works. Thanks for the help guys.