Home Quixel Megascans

Could Quixel be suited for low res retro pixel art?

cj31387
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
cj31387 polycounter lvl 5
I would like to do 128x128 or 64x64 textures for a retro look, kind of like http://store.steampowered.com/app/442780/ that and minecraft. Has anyone done this before, Any tips or workflow info on doing this? Can the smart materials and materials scale down this low? I'm still new to Quixel so any info on anything would be helpful really.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Cj!

Pixel art is definitely not something that DDO is designed to do out of the box, but I don't see why you couldn't accomplish it. It's just a style like any other. Creatively using masks and stylizing your textures with DDO should be as simple as it is in Photoshop or other tools.
  • cj31387
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I'm noticing is anti aliasing is always on in 3do even if i turn it off. Is there a way to completely make the rendering of pixels super square (it always tries to smooth/blur the pixels together in 3do)?

Also in 3do is there a way to tile the plane mesh by like 2 in each direction so i can see how the seams look when the texture is tiled? Like have 9 planes all next to each other so i can see the seaming in each direction?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Not currently, no. 3DO will only render filtered textures right now. Texture tiling used to be in SUITE 1.X - we'll have to bring it back in a future update. :)
  • cj31387
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i have managed to do some pretty decent pixel art textures. I have another question though.

I kind of would like to kill 2 birds with one stone, back 10 years ago or so you were able to make higher resolution textures like say 1024 and then if need be drop them down to 512 and they would still look fine. Has this improved? I would actually like to make really high res textures and then also just drop the resolution to very low like 64x64 or 128x128, would that look good or very bad? Is there a good way to do this now? I want to make my own good texture library that can be future proof, I think in 5 or so years texture resolution will be very high, but yah I'm kind of in the mood to do pixel art style right now but also not have to make the same brick texture again in high resolution or wall texture etc...

Also what are current gen game texture resolutions usually at right now (not pixel art).
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The only way to tell would be to try it out and see. The art you've created may look good when shrunk, it may not. It all depends on how you built it, what details are in it, etc. Generally speaking it should be fine, however.

I believe 4k is the high-end of texturing in most game engines.