Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Interior

Mellon3D
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Mellon3D polycounter lvl 13
Hello guys!
Today I have start working on my new project and decided to post it on polycount.
It`s small room in medieval style, trying to make it best as i can, so i need your help guys)
Any feedback, suggestion, or simple comment are very welcome
In this stage I work on style and overall look of the scene.
When i will happy with style of all the pieces i am going to bake and start texturing it
screen_by_mellon3d-d5twmso.jpg
sculpt_by_mellon3d-d5twmsk.jpg

Replies

• MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looking great so far, how did you modeled those arches ?
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks)
    About arches it`s easy) They made from spline
    1632686.jpg
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    It's looking pretty good so far. Those arches stood out too me first. Something is a bit off. I googled some references.

http://depositphotos.com/8641305/stock-photo-Medieval-arches.html

You can see on this photo they are more dramatic and have length to them and a wider arch. Right now your scene looks really crammed in and a small room. This may be your intention, however just stating my thoughts. :) Nice lighting and keep it up!
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I see your point, thanks) And agree with you.
    I am trying to find balance between dramatic looking interior and small room
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay it's been awhile since last update
    Here LARGE update
    Any feedback are very welcomed!)
    highres_screenshot_00003_by_mellon3d-d5wtfl3.jpg
    highres_screenshot_00004_by_mellon3d-d5wtfr5.jpg
    brick4_by_mellon3d-d5w6ir6.jpg
    column_by_mellon3d-d5wtdqo.jpg
    col2_by_mellon3d-d5wtds0.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The groin arches are far too smooth. They are basically the intersection of two cylinders, with sharp corners where the cylinders meet.

mde44f1518bff79e6c70b154198b99ab8.jpg
  • Cordero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    I like that brick wall, it looks really good!
    overall I think your texture work could use some more color variations, and maybe different materials other than stone.. I mean maybe some dust on the wall, or water leaks on the topside, or some grass at the bottom or something to break up the big once color places

other than that I think this stuff is really nice ;)
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    The groin arches are far too smooth. They are basically the intersection of two cylinders, with sharp corners where the cylinders meet.
    Good advice, thank you, just noticed this issue

Cordero
    Thanks) working on this right now
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that brick wall looks really good! Mind sharing your workflow on it?
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hot fix)
    fix_by_mellon3d-d5wtuw0.jpg
    Johan3043 wrote: »
    Wow that brick wall looks really good! Mind sharing your workflow on it?
    Yeah definitely I will do that after finishing this scene
    It's not that hard) just Zbrush basically
    1651399.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Saw this on the WAYWO thread and I really dig it. Just wanted to say that I feel like there should be some focal point at the end of the hallway. Maybe a medieval shield with a family crest on it, or a door, or just something of interest there.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    The material definition is great on the bricks. Although now that I look at it, the ceiling is still standing out for me. I looks off, I think Dwalker had it right, and as you look down the length of the hall you're getting some weird shadows as a result.
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix wrote: »
    Saw this on the WAYWO thread and I really dig it. Just wanted to say that I feel like there should be some focal point at the end of the hallway. Maybe a medieval shield with a family crest on it, or a door, or just something of interest there.
    Thanks for comment and about some focal point, yeah i think of it, definitely add something like shield or so
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    The material definition is great on the bricks. Although now that I look at it, the ceiling is still standing out for me. I looks off, I think Dwalker had it right, and as you look down the length of the hall you're getting some weird shadows as a result.
    Thanks) About weird shadows, any suggestion how to fix it?
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry, I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. I don't mean weird shadows as in you're getting a lighting error, or some other technical problem, I'm saying the lighting you're getting from the arches is weird, and looks off to me. It could be the way in which you modeled them, someone above posted a shot of how the arches would intersect normally. I'd give that a look and see if there's anything you could do to change it.

Overall it's a very strong scene, your lack of focal point is the only major thing bringing it down in my opinion, the lighting thing may be just me, so don't take it too personally.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe Jonny is referring to the seam between columns - it's apparent between each horizontal pair, but most obvious in the columns between the two torches.

It looks like the normals aren't quite lining up on the adjacent faces along the seam. The two most likely culprits are vertices which haven't been welded after the modules were attached or different smoothing groups on the adjacent faces.

The position of the lights seems a bit off - they should be slightly above the torches, and the body of the torch itself should occlude the area directly below. Also, if you're going to animate the hallway, remember that the light from flames flicker, with both intensity and position varying over time. You can even tie this into the particle system for the flames, emitting more or larger particles when the light flares.

Also remember that in addition to heat and light, fire produces smoke. In addition to adding smoke to the particle system, add soot to the walls behind and above the torches.
    capadoccia_E_11.jpg

The picture is more extreme than you'll want, but the roughly teardrop fading from deep black to transparent should give you a general idea.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    For the brick texture did you sculpt a few bricks and bake to a plane? If youre using udk would you mind posting the shader? Looks good!
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Sorry, I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. I don't mean weird shadows as in you're getting a lighting error, or some other technical problem, I'm saying the lighting you're getting from the arches is weird, and looks off to me. It could be the way in which you modeled them, someone above posted a shot of how the arches would intersect normally. I'd give that a look and see if there's anything you could do to change it.

Overall it's a very strong scene, your lack of focal point is the only major thing bringing it down in my opinion, the lighting thing may be just me, so don't take it too personally.
    Okay probobly now i get it) You talking about this seams as DWalker says
    I believe Jonny is referring to the seam between columns - it's apparent between each horizontal pair, but most obvious in the columns between the two torches.

It looks like the normals aren't quite lining up on the adjacent faces along the seam. The two most likely culprits are vertices which haven't been welded after the modules were attached or different smoothing groups on the adjacent faces.

The position of the lights seems a bit off - they should be slightly above the torches, and the body of the torch itself should occlude the area directly below. Also, if you're going to animate the hallway, remember that the light from flames flicker, with both intensity and position varying over time. You can even tie this into the particle system for the flames, emitting more or larger particles when the light flares.

Also remember that in addition to heat and light, fire produces smoke. In addition to adding smoke to the particle system, add soot to the walls behind and above the torches.
    capadoccia_E_11.jpg

The picture is more extreme than you'll want, but the roughly teardrop fading from deep black to transparent should give you a general idea.
    Yeah i have in my plans to animate it in the future. You provide a very good feedback, thanks a lot) I am going to fix all you said here guys. Thanks for helping me improve my scene
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase wrote: »
    For the brick texture did you sculpt a few bricks and bake to a plane? If youre using udk would you mind posting the shader? Looks good!
    Yeah about bricks, i made 6 single bricks and than build a wall with it
    After that i bake all this geometry to plane
    About bricks material(It`s vertex blend material between bricks and concrete)
    Here some screens that i think may help
    It`s a whole shader
    3_by_mellon3d-d5x1vct.jpg
    Gloss
    1_by_mellon3d-d5x1vd6.jpg
    Spec
    2_by_mellon3d-d5x1vd1.jpg
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks. Whatre you putting into the alpha channel with the vertex color for each map?
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I blend vertex color with invert version of my height map, this allows me to blend concrete between bricks
    untitled_1_by_mellon3d-d5x4o8n.jpg
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update
    Tweak the lighting a bit and add somethink like water on floor
    Also add tessellation to the wall
    screen7_by_mellon3d-d5x5elb.jpg
    untitled_1_by_mellon3d-d5x4q08.gif
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    The addition of the displacement makes a difference though I'm seeing some shearing on one of the lower bricks. Guess a clean-up of the displacement map is needed?
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw wrote: »
    The addition of the displacement makes a difference though I'm seeing some shearing on one of the lower bricks. Guess a clean-up of the displacement map is needed?
    It`s not a height map issue, just not enought tris in this area I am trying to increase tessellation factor but it does not help a lot, because of small details. Don`t know how to get rid of this
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The water is a nice addition, but it does seem too pure for a dungeon. Try adding a brownish semi-transparent texture, You can also increase the transparency near the edges to give a feeling of increasing depth towards the center.

fireedited05.jpg

The edges also seem fairly regular, although that might just be an optical illusion. There are some very nice puddle tutorials out there (e.g. http://www.blenderguru.com/how-to-make-puddles/, http://www.dmmultimedia.com/3dtips_05.htm). Note the water's tendency to flow further from the center along cracks in the floor.
    Example_003_4s.jpg
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The water is a nice addition, but it does seem too pure for a dungeon. Try adding a brownish semi-transparent texture, You can also increase the transparency near the edges to give a feeling of increasing depth towards the center.

fireedited05.jpg

The edges also seem fairly regular, although that might just be an optical illusion. There are some very nice puddle tutorials out there (e.g. http://www.blenderguru.com/how-to-make-puddles/, http://www.dmmultimedia.com/3dtips_05.htm). Note the water's tendency to flow further from the center along cracks in the floor.
    Example_003_4s.jpg
    These a very nice examples!
    Unfortunately I don`t have much experience in shaders creation, but i definitely try to implement this into my shader
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what you were planning on adding to the end of the hall, but would some candles work? Perhaps a little shrine instead of the torch on the wall.
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dissonance wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you were planning on adding to the end of the hall, but would some candles work? Perhaps a little shrine instead of the torch on the wall.
    Hmm...it`s might be a good idea, i shoud do some tests
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The puddle examples can really work with any material system - they use textures to indicate the diffuse, specular, and reflection for the water.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking great. My only critique is the lack of story going on. You could definitely benefit from, as stated in a prior response, family crests or barrels, etc. Something to break up the sweet textures you have going on currently. Keep it up!
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great. My only critique is the lack of story going on. You could definitely benefit from, as stated in a prior response, family crests or barrels, etc. Something to break up the sweet textures you have going on currently. Keep it up!
    Thanks) Work on it
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Really dig this, reminds me so much of Grimrock which I love :) Keep going.
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn wrote: »
    Really dig this, reminds me so much of Grimrock which I love :) Keep going.
    Thanks for comment)
  • foredea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work. I love your displacement map. It works very well!
  • AuntieJamima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AuntieJamima polycounter lvl 5
    Mellon3d Great work! Any chance we can get some wireframes? Im wondering how many polygons are in the columns.
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mellon3d Great work! Any chance we can get some wireframes? Im wondering how many polygons are in the columns.
    Just ordinary geometry, not so special
    gem_by_mellon3d-d5yrca6.jpg
    foredea wrote: »
    nice work. I love your displacement map. It works very well!
    Thanks
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Very solid so far! Let's get some props in there! Barrels, cages, jails, sacks anything to make it a little more lived in, keep it up :)
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    What is that white layer you got ontop of the bricks? I understand it's vertex painted and I guess it's plaster or something, I'm just curious if that happens irl. Seen a few medieval scenes doing this and I'm in the process of doing it myself for my own scene, but question is, would plaster actually behave like that or was it a common way to construct walls during that time? Just smear plaster randomly all over the wall?
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is that white layer you got ontop of the bricks? I understand it's vertex painted and I guess it's plaster or something, I'm just curious if that happens irl. Seen a few medieval scenes doing this and I'm in the process of doing it myself for my own scene, but question is, would plaster actually behave like that or was it a common way to construct walls during that time? Just smear plaster randomly all over the wall?
    It`s just my decision, I don`t know much about walls in medieval times
    And it's complicated to find a good references
  • Mellon3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys!
    It was a month without any updates, I have a lot of work((
    Here a new screen, added some candles to the scene
    candles_by_mellon3d-d62tzyj.jpg
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    If you dont mind me asking about the dimensions of the floor. looks like 2mX2m floor pieces, each with 9 tiles on? Would I be wrong guessing that?