Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to 3D, any critique welcome.

Orestis_K
null
Hello Polycount.

I am new to 3D, and have been learning zbrush. I would really like critique on my work (i'll upload more). Everything helps.

model 
This is a WIP head of Akuma from Street Fighter.

model
A quasi biomechanical bust.

model
Urien WIP, from Street Fighter, in his Aegis Reflector pose.

Thanks.

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Post images here, jpegs. Some people will not click on a link.
  • Orestis_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orestis_K null
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    What was your reference? At the moment it looks like you are making what you think the form is but not what it actually is. 
  • Orestis_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orestis_K null
    The biomech had no reference, it was mostly an experiment on brushes and forms. For Akuma and Urien i had references but did not rely heavily on them.
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    I would rely heavily on reference until you no longer need to.
  • Orestis_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orestis_K null
    Any one wants to elaborate? I understand that i am doing something wrong, but not what exactly.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    If you want to improve you need to start using references. Pictures of people for example when you sculpt them. If you want to make realistic face you need to look for skull pictures, muscles, fat patches. You need to understand what are you sculpting. I think what you sculpted is a good start. You are still probably learning the tools. Have fun with Zbrush at this point. Sculpt more. Use dynamesh and just go crazy. Then maybe try to sculpt a face using some reference. Measure in Photoshop, ruler or your eyes (but this solution requires a lot of experience). There is a lot of rules for proportions (and proportions are the most important thing - your head sculpt doesn't work not because there is not enough detail. It doesn't work because main shapes and proportions are wrong.) And yeah post pictures not links to sketchfab. It's just not worth it now. You waste time uploading the model and for some it's a hassle to click the link. Also go through other people's topics. Look how they learn and what they post. Learn from their experience.
  • Orestis_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orestis_K null
    Thanks MrOneTwo. I do understand the imortance of reference, i am a art student. I guess in my excitement on learning the program and playing around with it i did lose track of that importance though.
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    As someone as fresh as you right now, I`d focus heavily on copying and/or studying stuff. Copy anatomy, proportions, reproduce whatever art you admire. Just get some mileage and quantity of art works. Feedback and peer reviews are suuuper important but in a later phase. Right now you just need to get tons of work done, and test the grounds, get familiar with tools and get into a rythm of producing artwork/doing tests/making art exercises :) Post often so you can look back at your posts and see how you evolve :D Good luck man :) Vick.
  • Orestis_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orestis_K null
    Thanks. I have made a folder of references and got some tuts and further materials on anatomy, i will work heavily on that for now, both sketching and sculpting wise. Good luck to you too =).