Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Paradise - (Image Heavy)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
TwoSuns polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share what I've been working on for the last few weeks. Questions and critiques are more than welcome.  : )

I wanted to create an environment with procedural textures using substance designer in Unreal Engine 4. 

Below are high res screenshots of the final environment, along with a general breakdown. I can go into more detail if anyone wants to know more.

Update: Since so many people have been asking about the substance files, I've decided to (finally) upload them for anyone who's interested in the graphs:

Rocky Lagoon Substance
Rocky Cliff Substance

I n - E n g i n e   S c r e e n s h o t s

S u b s t a n c e   D e s i g n e r   G r a p h s

L a g o o n   S u b s t a n c e

Download Link

C l i f f   S u b s t a n c e  

T e x t u r e s

L a g o o n   T e x t u r e s 

C l i f f   T e x t u r e s 

R a i n   D r o p   R i p p l e  -  T e x t u r e   F l i p   B o o k 

U n r e a l   E n g i n e   S h a d e r s

L a g o o n   M a t e r i a l   +   M a t e r i a l   I n s t a n c e 

O c e a n   M a t e r i a l   +   M a t e r i a l   I n s t a n c e 

C l i f f   M a t e r i a l   +   M a t e r i a l   I n s t a n c e 

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    None of your images show for me.
  • TwoSuns
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, Pixel

Just tried opening it on several other devices and the images still show up.

Can anyone else confirm if they see them or not? Thanks :)

• calina
    Offline / Send Message
    calina null
    TwoSuns said:

Hey, Pixel

Just tried opening it on several other devices and the images still show up.

Can anyone else confirm if they see them or not? Thanks :)

Its working over here. And I love it. :dizzy:

Is that a default sky or custom?
  • samifira
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    Woah! This is really gorgeous! I can't wait to see what else you do with it!
  • TwoSuns
    Offline / Send Message
    calina said:

Its working over here. And I love it. :dizzy: 

Is that a default sky or custom?
    Thanks Calina :D 
    Glad to hear it's working!

The sky is the default sky. Here's a screen shot of the settings I used to get what I wanted:

I also increased the value of the Horizon Color to 35 and the Cloud Color to 5 to make them stand out better.

samifira said:
    Woah! This is really gorgeous! I can't wait to see what else you do with it!
    Thanks Samifira! I'm not really planning to do much more atm since I don't want to linger on one project for too long.
    But if you think it needs something extra I'd be glad to hear it : )
  • Nathan3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice work :)  loving the atmosphere of the piece. I don't understand where the ripples are coming from though because it doesn't appear to be raining at all.  I think maybe a small washed up old wooden boat in the corner would look nice give it a bit of story. 
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work! I don't really have any crits at all, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show :)
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    That looks lovely! However... it looks like the ripple texture is inside out. The ripples look like dents in the water instead of little tiny waves..
  • Tomiajayi
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    amazing! what kind of triangle count do you have going on here? I'm always fascinated about that.  Any wireframe shots?

• RashedAlmetrami
    Offline / Send Message
    RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
    @TwoSuns Really nice work man! Would love to see the Substance graphs closer up; still new to substance myself. 
  • Soul Exist
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul Exist polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome! Would love to see video.
  • dyo_ooo
    Offline / Send Message
    dyo_ooo polycounter lvl 9
    It's impressive, you say is procedural so you didn't use any texture ? 
    I am curious, could you show us how you work with substance, your graph is impressive, but I can't see how you did it. 
    Thanks 
  • nickzucc
    Offline / Send Message
    nickzucc polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing work James! Do you have any videos that do a little fly through?
  • TwoSuns
    Offline / Send Message
    So since so many people have been asking about the substance files, I've decided to (finally) upload them for anyone who's interested in the graphs.
    You can also find the links in my original post. Tried to clean them up a little, hopefully they'll be easy to understand :P

Rocky Lagoon Substance

Rocky Cliff Substance

@Adelphia Thank you! The rain is a little hard to see in the screenshots as it didn't do them any favors. If you enlarge the pics though you should be able to make out a light rain.

@chrisradsby :)

@Tomiajayi The scene uses quite a bit of Tessellation since each of the rocks are just sitting around 5k tris, while the ground is just a few tris. Most of the work is being done on the shader level which is giving them the rest of their rocky forms. Unfortunately I thought I copied over the UE4 file, but turns out it's not on my hard drive :/, though if I took a screen of the wires, you'll just see them all over the place thanks to the tessellation!

@urgaffel Haha. Shhhh, keep your voice down :P 
    Good eye btw! I might have forgotten to click "flip green channel" after importing it into UE4.

@nickzucc Thank you Nick, that means a lot! Unfortunately I don't have any fly troughs atm. My current laptop is somewhat dated and can't keep up a smooth enough frame rate for a nice fly through.

Also sorry for taking so long to reply. Been preoccupied with looking for a new job, which hasn't been the most encouraging of things, and it's been pretty draining overall..