Home Technical Talk

Display Calibration Techniques and 6500K vs 7000K

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
I have an i1 Display Pro for calibration. I think 6500K is too warm/yellow and I personally prefer a cooler tint. But if everyone uses 6500K everything will look too warm on other displays. How do you calibrate your display and at what color temperature?

What software is everyone using for their calibration? 

Wide Gamut: i1Profiler that ships with the X-Rite i1Pro does not really have any manual tweaking options. For example I want to adjust the screen but not loose the wide gamut. I know sRGB is the standard but I also like wide gamut. It used to be that wide gamut gave skin tones horrible colors but with the new displays wide gamut looks really good (at least to me).

i1Profiler removes the wide gamut and turns it into sRGB by default. This is stored in the ICC windows profile. But if I turn that to a default ICC profile, the next time I start the PC the video Card LUT will also be reset. 

Other software options are: HCFR, Calman Ethusiast, Chromapure. But I don't know If I can set the Video Card LUT without also setting the ICC profile to sRGB. But I don't know wich will work best for computer monitors and video card LUT calibration.

Then there is also the problem that the x-rite i1Pro should be calibrated itself because it will not be accurate otherwise, especially as the filters age. 

Replies

• 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    We calibrate to 5500k at the studio I work at. 
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I do 6500k, also using an i1 Display Pro.  Seems pretty perfect to me.  That being said, you can probably modify your white point temperature either way a bit without any problems.  And given the screens various people are actually going to possibly see your work on (their own, uncalibrated screens, different browsers that all handle color profiles a bit differently, mobile devices, etc), all you can really do is get a consistent, accurate starting point.  Something to make sure that when the colors/values inevitably get changed for the end users, they don't wind up seeing something totally overblown. 

I will say the 6500k took some getting used to, maybe a week when I first did it.  If you haven't tried it for that long, I'd recommend it.  Easier on the eyes than a cooler temp as well. 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I also calibrate to 5500k; your white point shouldn't affect if your colors look warmer/cooler on other displays.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I also calibrate to 5500k; your white point shouldn't affect if your colors look warmer/cooler on other displays.
    If you create content for a warmer screen it will look cooler on cooler displays, though good content will probably look good anyway. 
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Have you taken into account the ambient lighting conditions around you? That may be contributing to your perception. Otherwise I'd probably agree with Two Listen on just sticking with it for a bit and seeing if you still feel it's too warm.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    somedoggy said:
    Have you taken into account the ambient lighting conditions around you? That may be contributing to your perception. Otherwise I'd probably agree with Two Listen on just sticking with it for a bit and seeing if you still feel it's too warm.
    Yes, I have two large windows in front of me so things tend to look warm I think. 
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    What are your Calibration techniques?
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    It seems like DisplayCal is the best alternative for i1Profiler.