Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

(WIP) PC-CS:GO | KillBot

Trentius_
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Trentius_ vertex
This is a page for my Work In Progress skin for the 70's and 80's Sci-fi contest. My idea is a sort of Terminator style robot for the ak-47. I will be updating this with images for opinions as I work on it.

Replies

• Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex

Update

This is just the top plate/head that I have finished, can I get some opinions please?
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex

Update #2

This is the second update with a bottom plate adding a jaw, more teeth, a spine and a sort of wire throat. Some opinions would be awesome.
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex

Update #3

This is the third update and as you can see there is a bit of a blank spot on the limb that is on the stock, if I could get some input such as a weapon type to add or hand that would be awesome.
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex

Update #4

Another update more segments bite de_dust, still need some Ideas to finish the stock of the weapon though I have been brainstorming it.
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex
    blank due to error
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex
    I have been working on this project for a while now but with no input and the fact that I have lost interest in it, I think I am going to stop working on it unless people would like to see it completed.
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    Don't give up @Trentius_ , before doing it for anybody else, do it for yourself. The community can appreciate when somebody enjoyed while working on a project. If you're not happy while doing it, why keep going?

Here's my opinion: I think you're attempting to do a finish with a lot of volume or at least realistic feel to it, but you need more contrast at least on the metalic areas. It's perfectly doable solely with 2D art,  but it takes a good amount of acknowledgement in how the shadows work, the material reflects, etc.... so you can paint it or imitate it with a few PhotoShop tricks. 3D artists can model it, do a bake and ta-daaa, all the volumes done ( with this I'm not saying that 3D is easier, but like everything else it has his pros and it's cons).

Also I see you're doing the weapon by bits. I'd like to recommend you to try having an initial sketch with an overall idea of how the weapon works, then start focusing on areas and do the changes you see fit as you progress.

On a side note, I think that you'll learn and become better by finishing weapons. Never give up and best of luck! :wink:

• Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex
    @danidem Good idea I am quite good with Blender and with some effort I could make a render of the sections with one model. 
    When I make a skin or a drawing I normally use Paint.net and take advantage of the layer system but I have noticed a lot of my skins lack a feel of depth. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Trentius_/myworkshopfiles/?appid=730&p=2 
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex

Update #5

I am going to start working on converting the base design into 3d models that I can render into textures but this process is going to take a while so the skin will most likely be finished after the contest due date.
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex

Update #6

I can see a Helicoptor. Right now I am rendering most of the complete parts in 3D using Blender to give a more metallic and realistic look as you can see I have finished the top of the head. Sadly due to being limited to 2048x2048 it is lacking a lot of detail that was added in the render. I always do my renders in double the needed resolution to allow for more detail in case I can use 4096x4096 instead of 2048x2048, but I have not found a way to do that yet. Please tell me if you know a method.
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex
    Gonna be a while until the next update as I have exams coming up that I need to allocate most of my time to studying for.
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex
    Exams are over and I have some new ideas of how I can do this better, after doing some experiments with rendering 3d objects in blender to give them a 3d effect.
  • Trentius_
    Offline / Send Message
    Trentius_ vertex
    Welp It has been a long time but I am starting to work on this project again expect an update or 2 before 2017.