Home Technical Talk

Is there a way to create this material in U4?...

I apologize if this is a butt easy question; I'm kinda new to Unreal 4: but i was wondering how i can achieve this same effect in Unreal 4? this was rendered in cinema 4D which doesn't translate well over to game engines, but how would you achieve a similar material in Unreal 4? A sort of "hail - stone" material i guess is the best way i can describe it:

Thanks for any insight on this! :)

Replies

• kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I have a hard time seeing what's going on with that material based on that gif. As far as I can tell this could just simply be a single texture displayed as color with nothing else going on.

Have you got any other references? Any other info on how it works in different conditions?
  • Galactic_Muffin
    kodde said:
    I have a hard time seeing what's going on with that material based on that gif. As far as I can tell this could just simply be a single texture displayed as color with nothing else going on.

Have you got any other references? Any other info on how it works in different conditions?
    Right, yea thats the best clip i have of it unfortunately but basically it's not a texture, that light on the spheres is actually dynamically projected on and isn't a light map of any kind. which means the lighting should be able to dynamically light these objects from any angle and you would get the same "hailstone" lighting effect.

this would be a pretty easy thing to do if all i needed was static lighting however i need the lighting to be dynamic so a simple texture with AO may not work for me in this case I'm afraid.  :/
  • 2bytes
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    This just looks like a Normalized Camera Position baked to uvs and then used as a mask for color corrections.  To make it dynamic just rotate the Hue.  I dont know Unreal Editor, but it should have all the tools to rotate Hue, and shuffle channels.
  • Galactic_Muffin
    2bytes said:
    This just looks like a Normalized Camera Position baked to uvs and then used as a mask for color corrections.  To make it dynamic just rotate the Hue.  I dont know Unreal Editor, but it should have all the tools to rotate Hue, and shuffle channels.
    hmm that may just work... for a moment I had a feel that it may be achievable with sub-surface scattering but that may also be very intensive on the CPU if i wanted a lot of these spawning. 
  • throttlekitty
    kodde said:

Right, yea thats the best clip i have of it unfortunately but basically it's not a texture, that light on the spheres is actually dynamically projected on and isn't a light map of any kind. which means the lighting should be able to dynamically light these objects from any angle and you would get the same "hailstone" lighting effect.

this would be a pretty easy thing to do if all i needed was static lighting however i need the lighting to be dynamic so a simple texture with AO may not work for me in this case I'm afraid.  :/
    Yeah I'm just seeing a baked lightmap here with no reaction to the light. Do you have a link to where you found this?