Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Castiel Likeness

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Seraphinn polycounter lvl 4
So my all time favourite show Supernatural wrapped up this week and i had an idea. With the staggering lack of models and Supernatural figures I wanted to do a piece of work to honour the show.

My idea is very simple but incredibly complex at the same time. Basically Im aiming for 4 characters to be centred on a environment diorama.  Ive gone for Dean and Sam obviously alongside Castiel and Crowley. Each will have their own weapons and outfits and im planning to either do 2 scenes, a clean and a beat up scene or just like a combat scene. 

The set up will be like army of two, but with 4 people battling enemies off screen. below is the basic mock up of the scene with the pre-posed models. I will be posing them in max just for quickness since i dont know mudbox's animation tools yet

Im aiming for super realistic here, as close as i can to likeness and materials so everything will be PBR in marmoset.

Ive started the process and got the basemeshs for the whole thing done. Now its the sculpting process! which is all this project is atm. I am going to make game ready for all the characters after but just want to demonstrate my sculpting and realism skill.

Replies

• Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working more on the sculpt...still not got that...feel of Misha Collins/Castiel...but resembles him no?
    Any suggestions on how to sculpt real people or how to make this more like him would be much appreciated.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Grab yourself a nice front on reference for a start.

Here comes the smoulder...Then a (slightly less) nice profile reference

From there you should have an easier time squishing the face shapes into something closer to what you're after. You've got a bit of a ways to go yet.
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went back and shaped his face. staying at subD lvl 2 whilst im getting the shape and look just right. Think it looks a lot better
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing more work on this...adding pores, wrinkles and stubble, along with the usual shaping to get his face just right.
    Used the side image to shape him just right and as far as i can tell by the side and front he is as he should be, but for some reason he still doesnt look like castiel
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after taking a break and having a fresh look at it...it got worse...i dont think it looks anywhere close to Mischa Collins/Castiel
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Worked on the shape a bit more. Think ive just about got it, did a quick projection paint to see if it would work with textures and make me feel like its moving on :D.
    Just need to work on the finer details now i think, pores, wrinkles and stubble etc. 

Any suggestions on stubble creation in mudbox would be great
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So, completely started again with Castiel/Misha Collins. I definitely like this one a lot more than my previous attempt. Took your advice Steve and used side and front reference straight from the beginning. They dont line up properly but i found an inbetween.. this is only SubD2 so just blocking in muscle masses. Next hour or so ill do more details. 
    Let me know what you think, and what can be improved
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Seems like you're sculpting in a fairly wide FOV, and having problems with perspective distortion. Part of the problem with the images not aligning is that they were taken by different lenses with different FOV.

personally when I'm sculpting likeness I try to find more orthographic images, and sculpt with a lower FOV to minimize distortion.

some of the images you have on your board were taken fairly close, which makes the problem more apparent and harder to deal with. I would look for images that were taken from a distance, forcing the photographer to take pictures with a zoom and with a lower FOV, sometimes red-carpet galleries are good for this, like they sequester the photographers away from the subjects, forcing them to use a more narrow lense, but that might just be my own poorly informed opinion. 
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help ysalex, if i can even get close to your quality of work ill be more than happy :D 
    Im using a 30-35 FOV, and tbh, i scrapped this and started again. will definitely update soon though. I like how its going and I did a bit of work on his shirt just to see if it fits. and well i dont know...ill let it speak for itself soon :D
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So did some work on his shirt and his face. definately getting there with the basic shape but still not quite right.. I dunno maybe itll look better with the little finer details like the skin creases etc. With the shirt definately looks a lot more like Castiel, even more so with the trenchcoat im working on
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    how do plan on doing his hair?  it might be good to sculpt in some very basic hair to get a better representation of the overall shape of his head.  it will probably help you see if you're hitting his likeness.  same with eyebrows, maybe quickly paint on some simple eyebrows.
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Planning, for the first time to do proper legit planar hair. Ive done it in the past with varying results, but want to make these characters im doing look realistic next gen. Will definately sculpt in some stubble as a backing to the planar beard too