Home Technical Talk

Headus UV Layout

Nerono
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nerono polycounter lvl 5
I am using Headus UV Layout on Maya 2016, I wanted to unwarp an object so what I did was to send each part individually which makes up the object, unwrap it and send the uv's back to maya, by doing so, unwrapping each and one of them individually, all the uv's are not proportional to each other, am I right? how can I fix this? 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved this from General Discussion to Technical Talk, since this is a software/process query. 
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Are you using the maya plugin? There's no reason to send the objects one at a time anyway. Just send them all at once, if they're going to share a texture sheet.

As a quick workaround for your current problem, select all your objects in Maya then in the UV editor do a polygon>layout with prescale set to "world". This should set the objects' texel scale to be proportional again, although the layout itself will be horrible.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Headus is a really great uv app. You can pull the parts aside in uvlayout itself so you have a kind of exploded view. Its been a while since I used it but I thought you could also hide parts as well (in the 3d view and I think in the uv view as well).
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    Are you using the maya plugin? There's no reason to send the objects one at a time anyway. Just send them all at once, if they're going to share a texture sheet.

As a quick workaround for your current problem, select all your objects in Maya then in the UV editor do a polygon>layout with prescale set to "world". This should set the objects' texel scale to be proportional again, although the layout itself will be horrible.
    If a couple of meshes are not going to share the same texture sheet, is there a reason for the meshes to be proportional to each other?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    The Texel density of separate assets will be dictated by the res of applied textures, which will ultimately depend on the textures/tiling scale you use. This is something you have to judge per asset if not using a set texel res to real-world measurement ratio for your assets.
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    The Texel density of separate assets will be dictated by the res of applied textures, which will ultimately depend on the textures/tiling scale you use. This is something you have to judge per asset if not using a set texel res to real-world measurement ratio for your assets.
    So is it a yes or a no? haha I am quite confused
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    It's both. :) It depends on several things: what is the asset? How will it mip? Is it one of many assets for a game level? Is it just a portfolio asset? Is it a hero  or background asset? Is it uniquely textured, tiling, or both? Is it using the same textures on different parts?

Maybe you could supply more info/images.