Home Technical Talk

Photoshop Seamless Painting - Is it possible?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
brum polycounter lvl 6
Hey!

So i've been getting into painting sprites and to my knowledge Aesprite is the only 2d painting application which has a features that lets you loop your brushes around your document in order to draw seamlessly.
Is this possible to do with photoshop?
I know you can tile images by offsetting them by (width/height)/2, but that's not real-time and it only really works for small details, as painting stuff like pavements and other elements with large pieces make it hard to tile after finishing.

Replies

• lorenzo_di_pietro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorenzo_di_pietro polycounter lvl 6
    As far as I know it's not possible with Photoshop, but it's possibile with Krita, a great, free digital painting software.
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    As far as I know it's not possible with Photoshop, but it's possibile with Krita, a great, free digital painting software.
    Thanks, i will give it a try!
    Last time i tried it it would only run at 2fps which was really weird since my rig is pretty decent.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Make sure OpenGL is enabled in the preferences.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    I think layer cake had something similar to what you asked, more for tillable textures though and not realtime. 

• brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    Mossbros said:
    I think layer cake had something similar to what you asked, more for tillable textures though and not realtime. 

Yeah, that seems to be basically making the tiling process use less shortcuts, so it's better for already-made photos, but not for drawing.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    It's aimed at helping after you have your image started at least. 
    Layer Cake will help you when trying to get rid of seams in your tileables, that's what it's for. 

This seamless painting was just asked a few days ago for PS as well, afai can tell, it's not possible in PS. They have no way to hook into brush events (ending brushes etc.) and even then we would have to mirror after brush is ended so yeah...if you want something live check Krita. 
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    TooLzor said:
    Layer Cake will help you when trying to get rid of seams in your tileables, that's what it's for. 

This seamless painting was just asked a few days ago for PS as well, afai can tell, it's not possible in PS. They have no way to hook into brush events (ending brushes etc.) and even then we would have to mirror after brush is ended so yeah...if you want something live check Krita. 
    I'm trying out krita right now, it feels pretty damn smooth and the seamless painting is just what i was looking for.
    I think the seamless stuff IS possible in some 3d modes in photoshop, but you need extended for that.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okornyal said:
    TooLzor said:

I'm trying out krita right now, it feels pretty damn smooth and the seamless painting is just what i was looking for.
    I think the seamless stuff IS possible in some 3d modes in photoshop, but you need extended for that.
    Is possible, but going from their docs, not possible in 2D for sure. 
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    TooLzor said:
    okornyal said:
    TooLzor said:

Is possible, but going from their docs, not possible in 2D for sure. 
    I've been doing a bunch of testing.
    Here are my observations right now between PS;
    -Clone stamp recording works in krita as long as you don't clone stamp outside the seamless mode.
    -Clone stamp recording doesn't seem to work in PS. It records sampling but it doesn't record drawing.
    -Offsetting recording works in PS
    -Offsetting recording doesn't work in krita, but you can use the seamless mode to see errors (but not paint over seams) by zooming WAY out.
    -Cleanup is really easy in krita, if you don't plan on using recording, because just normal painting works perfectly in seamless mode.

Admittedly krita's recording engine hasn't been updated since 1.0, and it's in 3.0 now, so it's crazy that clone stamping even works.

• mookster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mookster polycounter lvl 18
    As was mentioned its possible in photoshop uising 3d, a little laggy but works. Btw the 3d stuff is in the cc versions.
    https://xeophin.net/en/blog/2012/11/22/how-paint-seamless-texture-photoshop
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mookster said:
    As was mentioned its possible in photoshop uising 3d, a little laggy but works. Btw the 3d stuff is in the cc versions.
    Wow that is convoluted haha. It makes "sense" but man ...
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    TooLzor said:
    mookster said:
    Wow that is convoluted haha. It makes "sense" but man ...
    Yeah, i don't see why anyone would do that.
    Krita is faster and it has seamless painting functionality out of the box, it works perfectly if you don't need recorded actions.
    Oh, and it's free.