Home Technical Talk

Lootable Props?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Haytch polycounter lvl 9
Hey guy's I'm working on my game in my spare time from work now And I've started to create a really nice environment, now I want to make some lootable props, the idea is to have an 'abandonned' overgrown map.  lots of derelict ivy filled.... buildings... and I want to think of some types of props to make searchable, I Don't want the typical 'wadrobes and ottomons' I want to try and get creative but its getting no where, was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions or ideas? thanks.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably going to need a bit more info, like time period, general style/theme, country. Or why and how everything is abandoned, like did scavengers make hideouts after the bombs? Maybe the nomadic survivors of The Disease have little cloth-wrapped cigar boxes or roped-up gas canisters used like luggage.
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    well the general theme is 300 years after 'The Great Hide' when man, ran and hid from zombies, they hid in the mountains and underground, left everything and just hid away, the zombies ran the world, built and upgraded but in their own way. theme is england and here's a screenshot of the map, I just have to make build the buildings now and start placing overgrown vegetation

SO now all i  have to do is populate the roads better, start working on some houses, but i want lootable objects for the farms and houses and roadside.
    but not like suitcases, crates etc, i want something Unique maybe?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice scene!

I don't know how unique you can really get with this without getting silly or out of place. I mean, maybe someone has a crane game they bought at an auction they've stuffed with guns, even if the glass is busted and the crane doesn't work. Or a Buddha statue with a hinged belly. Games have been using containers for a long time, there's only so much you can do that isn't situational or totally bizarre.

What I was getting at in my previous post is thinking about how the people of this world are using the space around them. You either have nomadic types or people that tried to make safehouses with whatever they could scavenge. So things like backpacks, computer case, apple crate, a sack stuffed in a pipe, hollowed out log, toolbox behind the sofa for smaller things the player has to look for. Bigger things like cars, pile of garbage/garbage can, workbenches or collapsed tents.
  • Haytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haytch polycounter lvl 9
    nice scene!

I don't know how unique you can really get with this without getting silly or out of place. I mean, maybe someone has a crane game they bought at an auction they've stuffed with guns, even if the glass is busted and the crane doesn't work. Or a Buddha statue with a hinged belly. Games have been using containers for a long time, there's only so much you can do that isn't situational or totally bizarre.

What I was getting at in my previous post is thinking about how the people of this world are using the space around them. You either have nomadic types or people that tried to make safehouses with whatever they could scavenge. So things like backpacks, computer case, apple crate, a sack stuffed in a pipe, hollowed out log, toolbox behind the sofa for smaller things the player has to look for. Bigger things like cars, pile of garbage/garbage can, workbenches or collapsed tents.
    Those are all things I will be doing, especially the vehicles, my plan is to do working vehicles and derelict vehicles, at the moment I've been working on props for the environment like this campfire.

and it look's like this IN game

so this is my style, and also I will be doing all types of buildings, my aim is to make 90% of the buildings in the game Enterable

this is another type of slum building

but these are just shanty shacks, these will probably be found in the advanced zombie areas where they will have tried to rebuild their homes.