Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Quixel SUITE 2 problem

Hey guys, so i was using quixel version 1.8 for texturing my models for a couple of days now. After i was finished with one, i decided to download a higher version, hoping to produce better results, but somehow it has become really,REALLY slow. The maps take a good 20 minutes to prepare (i am not sure if thats how long it should take), and even when they are prepared, when i open 3do my computer freezes, cant move my cursor and the computer becomes really hot. This was SO NOT the case in 1.8, it worked smoothly. The poly count on the model is same, i even reduced it a lot, but even that didnt make a difference. Would appreciate a solution as soon as possible
Thanks in advance. :smile:

My Specs -
Intel Core i7
Windows 10
8 GB RAM
2 GB VRAM, Nvidia 840M

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Make sure that your laptop is set to run the video card instead of onboard video while using 3DO2.exe - you'll find this in your Nvidia settings. Quixel SUITE requires a dedicated video card to operate correctly.
  • rohit9009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure that your laptop is set to run the video card instead of onboard video while using 3DO2.exe - you'll find this in your Nvidia settings. Quixel SUITE requires a dedicated video card to operate correctly.
    I right clicked the application and selected " Run with graphics processor -> High performance Nvidia processor". Is this what you mean, or i have to change some other setting?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If you use your Nvidia control panel, you can set 3DO2.exe to run with the card every time. :smile:
  • rohit9009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried what you suggested, i would say it has made a difference, but just a tad. Earlier the screen froze just moments after the 3DO window came up, but now at least i can navigate around and isolate the mesh groups, but still there persists the problem that when i add a smart material, the screen freezes after selecting one , and I have to force close photoshop, the suite and 3DO for my computer to operate normally again. I dont get how 2 versions have such different levels of hardware requirements. Is there any other way to resolve this? Maybe running it on "low settings", if thats something?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Try disabling post-processing in 3DO - that may speed things up a bit. May I also ask how many mesh groups you're using in your DDO project?
  • rohit9009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disabled post-processing, still no difference. The mesh has 15 mesh groups. I tried using ..fbx file format too, didnt work for that as well
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The mesh groups are your problem. You should be using a maximum of two or three on an 8GB system. If you're working at 2k resolution or higher, you're basically running out of VRAM and RAM and forcing Windows to write memory to the page file. 15 mesh groups will load four sets of textures for each group, as they're essentially unique objects and considered as such for texturing purposes. 15 x 4 is 60, which means you're loading 60 *.PSDs into Photoshop. This is impossible to work with on a low-end system, much less a system like mine which has 32 GB of RAM. :smile:

The solution to your issue is to consolidate your mesh groups per UV sets (0-1 space) - at most, you should have one or two objects. An example:

This locomotive uses three mesh groups. One for the wheel assemblies, one for the chassis, and one for the windows and glass. The chassis is 8k, the wheels are 4k, and the windows and glass are 2k. On a 32 GB system, this uses 18 GB of RAM from the PSDs, and 3DO2 uses 8GB of RAM on top of that, which puts me close to 85% of my RAM just from this project by itself.
  • rohit9009
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I joined all the mesh groups into one, and it is much better! Thank you so much, you have so helpful and amazing through all of this, I couldnt find any solution on the internet for days. I would look forward to your help if anything else arises. :blush:
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Cheers, friend! I'm glad to see you're up and running again. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need help!