Home Technical Talk

Painting sRGB/Linear, best practices

JackDCaron
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
I've been having this discussion with a co-worker for a while now and figured I would throw out here:

Obviously, color maps, the pixels we want our screens to display, need to be converted to Linear and fed into (let's say) UE4 and we check the sRGB box on.

Information maps (as I call them): Spec, Roughness, anything that provides scalar info from 0 to 1. If we are painting them in PS or Mari or Mudbox, we are painting what we see through the monitor, which is providing us with sRGB gamma 2.2 images, are our gradients truly Linear? OR do these maps need reverse gamma correction applied before they go in engine (understanding that we leave the sRGB checkbox off)? Normal maps are an exception because they are baked, not painted (hopefully), but regardless, is 50% grey really 50% grey when I throw that map in a shader? In my mind it isn't, but I know there are a few people here that can clarify.

Thanks!

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Its about how the data is interpreted, and also how its encoded in the image file.

The data in the image is still 0-1, regardless of color space. If you paint a linear gradient in SRGB space, then import it with the SRGB option on, its a linear gradient. Its the same math used to store it as to unpack it. If you map the raw values as stored in an SRGB image without applying that colorspace's conversions first, then no, it won't be linear.
    Assuming an even gray gradient, they'll follow a curve approximating to N^(1/2.2) (very generally speaking), but if you do apply the inverse transformation of the raw data (N^2.2) you get your linear data back.

TLDR: The SRGB box is an inverse gamma correction.

Edit: The wikipedia article on the what and why of SRGB may be useful, or at least interesting. :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB

Also, if you are concerned about this color profile in your images, or are getting incorrect results, be sure to turn off the color profile usage in photoshop for that document. On an open document go to edit->Assign a profile and select "Don't color manage this document"
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normal maps absolutely have to be in linear space.

Other than that, if your gloss/roughness/metalness/etc maps are in linear or sRGB space or how you/paint them is not particularly important. What is important is that if you're authoring the map and previewing somewhere, you should make sure that the final result has the same gamma/linear space option checked.

If you're painting a gloss/roughness map, what you see in photoshop has very little relevance. I mean you can make some basic assumptions like X value is brighter than Y, but you can't see the effect of these maps in photoshop, so there is little need to be concerned about authoring them in the "correct" space. You shoud be authoring while previewing with some sort of realtime shader to see the end result. Thus, what color space they are authored or previewed in photoshop doesn't matter.

However, for a project wide basis, you should make sure these maps are authored in the same consistent way. If one artist is painting gloss maps in sRGB and another in linear, you'll have problems when people try to create new shaders reusing those assets. So it's best to pick some standards for each map type.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    In my experience.
    Diffuse/Albedo and spec masks should be in sRGB and normal maps and spec roughness shouldn't.
  • JackDCaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
    Val, good stuff. Almost like the use for CRTs is being grandfathered in.

EQ, that's the explanation I was using, that what mattered most is what you were seeing in engine. I was curious if there was a more scientific thinking to it.

I found this was very useful as a resource too: http://artbyplunkett.com/Unreal/unrealgamma.html

Thanks for the help!
  • 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    Quite tempted to write a god damn essay to clarify this stuff, but don't have the time or required effort available right now. We tried using a fully linear texture pipeline at my studio and suffice to say : it isn't good, don't do it. Works fucking awesome for film / offline, works horribly in games. Certain data textures should be stored in linear yes (normalmaps mostly) but anything which requires precision in the darker end of the histogram will get royally fucked by trying to use linear  8-bit textures. Banding everywhere.

By far the most important thing is that you aren't fucking up your texture inputs by doing unnecessary gamma conversions at any point in your pipeline, cos that breaks everything. What most people do is just author everything in sRGB (gamma space) (except normals which are always linear) and then either in the shader when the texture is loaded OR via hardware support, convert those textures from gamma-space to linear-space (because in general all shader calcs need to be done in linear otherwise everything breaks) and then the renderer processes everything in linear, and converts the final frame back to sRGB before it writes it to the screen.

Upon a few minutes reflection, I'd probably say that gloss textures should absolutely be authored in linear-space if possible. Because god damn the amount of artifacting I've seen with very glossy materials. Linear would help there. If you're using roughness though, sRGB all the way. it's to do with where in the histogram you need your precision tbh.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @dustinbrown: if I am not mistaken, "sRGB" in the sense of a Photoshop color profile has no practical link with "sRGB" option for color maps in an engine like UE. For instance I personally have Photoshop setup in such a way that I get a color space warnings when opening any file, in order to make sure that I don't have any whacky color profile information stored inside a PSD if I do not need it. I became quite paranoid about all this back when I had a high gamut monitor, which was fantastic when everything worked as intended but also introduced quite a few headaches (in short: some programs not necessarily handling color profiles properly, and some image hosting services not being able to deal with anything other than sRGB IEC61966-2.1)

What I am trying to get at is that even though the sRGB Photoshop color profile does indeed rely on the curve mentioned earlier, from what I understand it is also the default behavior when displaying images on any computer screen/device - so my guess would be that Photoshop displays images through this profile by default anyways, it being present in the file or not. I might be wrong though.

Now as far as texture authoring is concerned my experience with all this is limited to UE4, which probably relies on quite a few optimizations of its own. All I can say is that things seem to behave quite well when working with PSD master files stripped off any custom profile, exported as TGA, and with the sRGB option in UE turned on for color maps and off for data/value maps. I am certainly not 100% sure about all that though, so I too would appreciate any further info on the best practices for this - especially when it comes to establishing a perfectly synchronized pipeline between the Substance Painter output and UE4/Unity.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    0xffff said:
    Quite tempted to write a god damn essay to clarify this stuff, but don't have the time or required effort available right now. We tried using a fully linear texture pipeline at my studio and suffice to say : it isn't good, don't do it. Works fucking awesome for film / offline, works horribly in games. Certain data textures should be stored in linear yes (normalmaps mostly) but anything which requires precision in the darker end of the histogram will get royally fucked by trying to use linear  8-bit textures. Banding everywhere.

By far the most important thing is that you aren't fucking up your texture inputs by doing unnecessary gamma conversions at any point in your pipeline, cos that breaks everything. What most people do is just author everything in sRGB (gamma space) (except normals which are always linear) and then either in the shader when the texture is loaded OR via hardware support, convert those textures from gamma-space to linear-space (because in general all shader calcs need to be done in linear otherwise everything breaks) and then the renderer processes everything in linear, and converts the final frame back to sRGB before it writes it to the screen.

Upon a few minutes reflection, I'd probably say that gloss textures should absolutely be authored in linear-space if possible. Because god damn the amount of artifacting I've seen with very glossy materials. Linear would help there. If you're using roughness though, sRGB all the way. it's to do with where in the histogram you need your precision tbh.
    Sounds about right. Artists shouldn't have to worry about linear/gamma beyond a checkbox in engine for the current generation of games. Anything more then that causes a lot of headaches. This is what makes substance painter/designer so great. What you see is what you get and you never have to worry about color space. It's also important to note that normal maps are already baked in linear space so no need to touch it at all. Just bake the map as you normally would at 16 bit depth and import into unreal and choose the normal map setting. (I believe there is a similiar workflow for Unity.) No need to overcomplicate things :) 

But while we're on the subject... has anyone seen the HDR monitors that are literally IN linear space and don't have/need gamma? http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

I feel like the world is about to change yet again lol! The sweet thing is that for film HDR tvs mean that literally what is captured by the camera on set and seen by the director during editing sessions can be displayed in your living room 1:1 with no bullshit h.264 codec washing out all your colors:smile:

For games I'm not sure what this means yet since the only game I know of that uses ACES (the gold standard in film color space setup) is Ashes of the Singularity.

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Thought I'd drop in and share a post I wrote on this topic:
    https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1446269&p=50225536&viewfull=1#post50225536

If the link doesn't work properly, it's post #3644 in that thread, or just read off this screenie:

I've had a 3+ part series of articles that I'm slowly working on talking about the entire rendering pipeline and heavily analyzing gamma. I should pick up the speed on it. It seems people really need more good information.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    somedoggy said:
    Thought I'd drop in and share a post I wrote on this topic:
    https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1446269&p=50225536&viewfull=1#post50225536

If the link doesn't work properly, it's post #3644 in that thread, or just read off this screenie:

I've had a 3+ part series of articles that I'm slowly working on talking about the entire rendering pipeline and heavily analyzing gamma. I should pick up the speed on it. It seems people really need more good information.
    Definitely worth a read. Cheers. Coming from an offline rendering background  I've done my stint of LWF WTF! There was so much mis-information to sift through that it was a bit of a headmelt getting it all clear. (Or at least non-tech-artist-clear)  I remember the 0-1 greyscale gradients being the weirdest thing at the time.

Gamma issues have been well established for a long time in offline, but I still see a lot of experienced artists in the game industry who really struggle with it. As @artquest says, it shouldn't even be something to worry about. It should really be going on behind the screen somewhere we don't have to deal with it. And thankfully we really don't: asset from Substance to UE4....2 roughness map settings to click and a 'yes' confirmation on the normal map import.....done. 

Fiddling around in gamma space is a pain in the arse.

• 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah but isn't converting from gamma space to linear space going to cause banding? 
    Errr, that's complicated. Firstly if you get banding from going from sRGB to Linear, the banding occurs in the bright part of the histogram which our eyes aren't very good at seeing. You have to remember that your eyes work on a logarithmic scale, not a linear one. Physics works linearly, your eyes don't and you can see much better the contrast in darker values than in brighter ones. Imagine standing in a pitch black room with a lit candle in it. If you light a second candle, you can obviously tell the difference in brightness in the room right? Now try that with 1000+1 candles. Your eyes basically can't tell the difference, even though the exact same amount of additional luminance was added to the room as in the first example.

Secondly, if you're converting to linear in the shader, you're not going from 8bits per colour channel to 8 bpc just in a different colorspace, you're going from 8bpc to float which is MUCH higher precision, so you don't lose really anything in the conversion process. In fact, your texture is the thing which has the least amount of precision in the entire process which is why it's worth getting it right so that you're getting as much precision out of your textures as possible.

Also, how do you author your normal map in linear space? Or is that just something every baker does automatically? I'm currently under the impression that there is something about an image file that makes it either a linear or sRGB image. Something that's written into the file itself. Is this incorrect? Or is an image an image, and the whole linear v non-linear comes down to the image reader, be it Photoshop or a game engine, and how it reads/interprets the image?
    All normalmaps are baked in linear space already. Colourspace is pretty much an abstract concept which is separate from your image file. Some formats (not many though I think) do store metadata in the image file itself to tell software how they should be interpreted, but the colour values in the image are just numbers. Most common formats (jpeg, png, tga etc) afaik don't reliably store colourspace / colour profile metadata and are usually assumed to be stored in sRGB. High-precision and 32-bit formats such as .hdr and .exr are commonly assumed to be stored in linear. Colourspaces do pretty much just come down to the reader knowing (or being told by you) how to interpret the raw colour data in the image. 

"Upon a few minutes reflection, I'd probably say that gloss textures should absolutely be authored in linear-space if possible. Because god damn the amount of artifacting I've seen with very glossy materials. Linear would help there. If you're using roughness though, sRGB all the way. it's to do with where in the histogram you need your precision tbh."

Why would that be? Both gloss and roughness maps use the full value range of 1.0 to 0.0.
    Okay so, with gloss/roughness in particular, they are exactly the same thing they just store the data back to front or forward (eg with Glossiness white pixels are glossy, black ones are rough, whereas with Roughness maps the black pixels are glossy and the white ones rough). Now, with areas of your texture which are rough, any artifacts in the texture are gonna be difficult to see. Whereas in very glossy areas of your texture, texture artifacts are often quite obvious (especially because with most gloss/rough curves even minor changes in the 10% most glossy part of the histogram have a hugely obvious visual impact).

So really what we're doing here, is trying to use the larger part of the histogram to store the more important information in the texture (the high glossiness part). So if that data is being stored in the white part of your image, you probably want to use linear because linear affords more histogram space to bright values in 8-bit images. If that data is being stored in the black part of your image, you're better off using sRGB because sRGB gives you more precision in the darker values.
  • 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    No worries man, gamma / colourspaces are a colossal mindfuck.