Home General Discussion

Choice of tools for self-teaching artists

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
OK, here's my history with 3D.

Back in 1994 I started teaching myself 3DS DOS. Then I gave up because I couldn't fathom how to use the tool properly. Then after I came to America at the age of 20 (in 1996). I briefly learned how to use Animation Master, while teaching myself how to use early version of MAX. 

Then I swore of 3DCG, believing that I am not fit for technical stuff like that. And after more than a decade I finally saw the light. I found Modo, and started learning modeling with Modo last July. I stepped back after a couple of months because sub-D edge control is just beyond my understanding. Then I came back about...two weeks ago and I can understand it better. Looks like I missed a few basic things like beveling tricks. 

I also dabbled with Zbrush, but I got frustrated for the obvious reason. Then I got interested in 3D Coat, which has some serious support from self-taught folks and concept artists. 

I eventually settled with learning Modo, 3D Coat, and Substance Painter as main tools. My background is in F-ton of figure drawings, concept sketches, graphic novel, and designing mecha. (yes, I have a useless BFA for that.) 

My goal is to integrate my designs with 3D modeling and texturing (and a dash of rigging which is still a herculean task) to create virtual vignettes and dioramas, to see if I can find a job in LA area. I am thinking about learning Unreal EVENTUALLY because I contemplate on making turnable vignettes. Some folks already do that and I love what they do. And I wish I can do that as well.

But...some people frown that my choice of tools are not quite industry standard. I am aware of the problem, too. But Modo and 3D Coat feel pretty comfy to me. I just stare at Maya or MAX UI, not knowing what the heck I am looking at. 

So...can you guys give me any input on this? Any kind of input, especially constructive ones will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am currently enrolled in an 'account builder' savings account at a local Korean-American bank. The target goal is $10,000 in 36 months and now I am in my third month. When the account reaches maturity I will invest the money in the software and hardware. It will be around 2019 so I don't know what will happen...

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    What is your end goal with learning 3D? Hard to give any constructive advise without knowing that.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    What is your end goal with learning 3D? Hard to give any constructive advise without knowing that.
    Ah...concept art with 3D. Yeah, I know...this is a bit unusual. But some production companies look for concept artists who can do 3D. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    What are your career goals? You want to do concept art for what? Films? Games?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Zbrush is basically all you need for 3d concept art.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'm sure you could get by with just ZBrush but doing scene lighting in it sucks.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are your career goals? You want to do concept art for what? Films? Games?
    Eventually into films. But before that, I am not sure.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    You should be alright with Modo and 3dcoat.  But it's your design skills that will matter more than what software you use when it comes to getting freelance gigs or getting studio jobs.

Do you not know Vitaly Bulgarov and Alexey Pyatov aka Karanak, who use Softimage and Sketchup respectively, for their 3d concepts?

In your self-teaching phase I wouldn't obsess on what tools you have but focus more on building and developing your design skills...if like you say you want to do 3d concepts.  Even if you have ALL the tools now but weak in your portfolio, it's not a realistic expectation that some studio will hire you over somebody who demonstrably has better "eye" and samples for concepting.

Good luck!
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    I've never heard of a company wanting a concept artist that can also do 3d. If you really wanna be a concept artist, I would spend 100% of my time on it. Since it's super difficult.

As for software recommendations. I would say use whatever is used in the industry. I know nothing about the film industry. But for games either go with Maya or Max. From all the interviews I've been on. One Maya studio asked me what 3d package I used and I told them Maya. They were so happy and relieved.  They literally were so happy. They would have high fived if they weren't on webcam.

Max studios that asked me what package I use were a bit disappointed and asked if I was willing to learn Max. 

Don't be scared about using a new software. Everything seems super hard when you first try them. But after a few tutorials, you'll get used to them. The only problem now is you're always gonna compare everything to Modo. And complain about why every other 3d package can't compare to Modo. That's the nature of learning similar software.

These are the software I use most: Maya, Photoshop, Quixel suite, Substance Painter/Designer, Marmoset toolbag.

Oh and for purchasing. I would just use student versions or pirate copies. Really no point in wasting your money if you are just learning. That's what I did when I was a student. After being in the industry for nearly 3 years. I've only recently started to purchase licences.
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    Also, you shouldn't be learning Unreal. If you're gonna get into film. You should be rendering your work.

And one more tip. You might wanna check out Mari for 3d texturing. They are mainly for film. Plus it works well with Modo since it's by the Foundry 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Actually learning the basics of Unreal and Unity will be useful in any case. Most movie and TV VFX studios are moving more and more towards real-time stuff, at least for their previz, and in the coming years, previz quality will get closer and closer to the final rendering and these studios will need people that can deal with both. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, a lot of short films, commercials and TV shows use real time engines for their VFX stuff.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Poly_bob I've never heard of a company wanting a concept artist that can also do 3d

The brief of a concept task might not require it, but being able to put together a quick 3d blockout once an overall design is well established is extremely useful if the client/production team requires tight orthos.

That said, 3d is certainly not needed for the actual creative/iterative design phase, simply because rough 2d drawings are an order of magnitude faster to do than any 3d task.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I'm sure you could get by with just ZBrush but doing scene lighting in it sucks.
    With the Keyshot bridge you can do scene lighting in Keyshot which is pretty much OK.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    With the Keyshot bridge you can do scene lighting in Keyshot which is pretty much OK.
    Does Keyshot let you place lightsources inside of a scene? I was under the impression it only did IBL via HDR images.

Either way ZBrush is very poorly suited for scene setup/management generally, it's alright if you are only doing character design.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    3ds max, Zbrush, Photoshop, Substance Designer, Substance painter, Xnormal, Knald, Unreal Engine, Cry Engine, Unity, HandPlane, Keyshot, Vray Really anything I can get my hands on to learn, I am there.