Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArtStation challenge : The end of a Pirate's journey [Character]

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Popol interpolator
Hi guys,

I'm currently working on my entry for the artstation challenge. The idea is basically a pirate meeting his fate.

I did a first texturing pass on the character and I'm currently texturing the props. Next will be posing the character.

I'm looking for feedback on the texturing for when I'll work on the final texturing pass.

Here's a link to all the WIP shots : https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-journey/challenges/2/submissions/2315

Replies

• Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Posed the character and tried some lighting.

• Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    More work on the lighting, block out of the pedestral and the tentacles are next!

• Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    This is my final submission for the challenge.

There is a lot more screenshots and construction shots here : https://www.artstation.com/contests/the-journey/challenges/2/submissions/2315

• KrisLW
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    Technically speaking, this is fantastic! The textures look wonderful, and the high-to-low poly came out excellent.

The things that stand out to me:

For being on a boat and being attacked by something out of the water, everything looks extremely dry. Although the tentacles are shiny, they don't quite look "wet" if that makes any sense.

Secondly, his pose (or lack there of) and complete and utter lack of expression - he looks like he's never been more bored in his entire life. (Or that he's just a mannequin.) I get that's he's "accepting his fate," but he just looks downright oblivious to anything. Even if it's a stealth attack, unless he's blind, I think he would see a giant tentacle wrapping around his leg and at least acknowledge it. (Also, the position of his sword is incredibly awkward. It looks like the tentacle would have scraped along it?)

(Also, the contest is "The Start of an Epic Journey"...?) Either way, great job, and good luck!
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Damn, I wish I had that kind of great feedback earlier in the process of this piece. I agree with you about the lack of water and the pose of the main character.

Even though I won't go back and make any changes (I just don't have the time) your feedback is still very helpful and I'll remember it while making my next character.

Thanks a lot dude :)
  • GenesisAsis
    Offline / Send Message
    GenesisAsis polycounter lvl 3
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Glad you like it GENESISASIS :)
  • KrisLW
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    Popol said:
    Damn, I wish I had that kind of great feedback earlier in the process of this piece. I agree with you about the lack of water and the pose of the main character.

Even though I won't go back and make any changes (I just don't have the time) your feedback is still very helpful and I'll remember it while making my next character.

Thanks a lot dude :)
    I wish I had seen this earlier! Oh well, live and learn :smiley: Best of luck with your next piece as well, I'm sure it will be great!